No POll For Bob Dylan Desire SQ???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

Hello,
who starts the polls. I enjoy this album in stereo and would like to hear what the forum has to say about Bob Dylan Desire SQ LP.
Should I purchase it.
Thhere some sweet instruments and vocals on this album.

my search results did not find an old poll post, so if i just missed it... let me know

Hey Oxforddickie--How about a final SQ conversion of this. No superior Q8 out there, the SQ LP is all we've got, no tape release. Releases like this are what you should be concentrating on, not conversions that are already available in discrete.

I think it is fascinating to hear the extraction of surround from a phase-matrix encoded LP. Further, I personally would not criticize a labor of love. [dons flameproof suit].
That said, I'm curious about Desire too. I seem to recall hearing one conversion that was too top-heavy.
Not to speak for OD, but his script-based software decoding development went through several iterations until the one designated as final, having determined that it had no artifacts and is likely better than existing hardware results.

after you guys extract a phase matrix lp what format do you burn it to? and how do i play it? just trying to catch up here. are you saying that you make these digital and run them through modern receivers?

These days people (around here) usually author to DVD-A/V, so you can playback in DVD-A and normal DVD-Video players through modern set-ups.

If you want a poll for this P.M. Ed Bishop as he is the moderator for the Quad polls?? Right?

Hey Oxforddickie--How about a final SQ conversion of this. No superior Q8 out there, the SQ LP is all we've got, no tape release. Releases like this are what you should be concentrating on, not conversions that are already available in discrete.

Well, strange you should mention Desire. As you know i recently released 'Nashville Skyline' and did Desire at the same time. It's been sitting here for a few weeks now, just not gotten around to doing the artwork. It was a rip that was sent to me, done at 16/44 (like N.S), and i've been holding off because i was told a copy of the LP was beiing sent to me to be ripped for release, but it's been a while now, so i guess it's not coming.

You bring up an interesting point about releasing decoded versions of albums that are available in discrete formats.

Well, firstly, which are these? Yes, i know things like Atom Heart Mother is available, but i don't like the limited bandwidth of most Q8's (and i used to have quite a collection of Q8's - including the ELP set). The new SQ*Final process does a very good job of decoding, i'd be interested in someone doing a comparison of the new decode of A.H.M against the Q8

Secondly, i don't have any discrete media or equipment to play them anymore, so if i have an encoded version, i'll decode it for my personal listening, which will, sooner or later, appear on the blog.

So, if there "was" a poll (hint, hint), how would you rate this? I have listened to OD's conversion from SQ and it sounds like mostly double stereo to me. Great album, no doubt, but it seems they didn't invest too much effort into the quad mix. What do you guys think? Anybody have the tape version (is there one)?

There was never a Q8 of this released in the US. The mix isn't spectacular, it's more than adequate, not double stereo, and the music is superb. IMHO, head and shoulders the best Dylan Quad. There is an unauthorized SQ-encoded CD of this with a second disc, which is 2ch, of rarities. The SQ CD is, of course, transferred from vinyl.

I'll rate it 9 overall. It would be 10 with a bit more aggressive mix.

Scorpio SQ CD:
scan0005.jpg

Columbia SQ LP:
DesireQuad.jpg

So, if there "was" a poll (hint, hint), how would you rate this? I have listened to OD's conversion from SQ and it sounds like mostly double stereo to me. Great album, no doubt, but it seems they didn't invest too much effort into the quad mix. What do you guys think? Anybody have the tape version (is there one)?
Not remotely double stereo. Tons of separation on OD's SQ final transfer (one of his very best efforts). For instance, all female vocals appear in the rear only, with Bob in the front only. Listen to Black Diamond Bay & tell me it's double stereo. Sheesh. The quad mix absolutely slays the harsh stereo mix. There IS no tape version, SQ LP only. I'd rate it a 9.

I've a rip of this somewhere (don't ask where, the place is a shit tip right now) and it's absolutely incredible! Fidelity is top notch, separation and the mix itself equally fantastic! It's so good I initially thought it must be sourced from a Robin Reel or something (I'll ask my mate who found it for me where he found it) but I'm pretty sure when I asked him he said it was from the SQ. I love the album anyway but when I first gave the Quad mix a spin I had that big dumb grin thing going on and goosebumps, it's that good!

Hey, not slamming OD's work at all. I have many of his conversions and they're very good. I'll give Desire some more spins, it seems like I haven't paid enough attention. I agree that I did hear separate elements, like female vocals coming from the rears. I also walked up to the rear speakers in other songs, though, and it seemed like they mostly mirrored the fronts (e.g. across "Hurricane"), including Dylan's vocals coming from all speakers.

I'm not very happy with my sound system, so perhaps it takes away from the experience. Thanks for your comments, it's good to put my impressions into perspective. Will definitely put on "Black Diamond Bay" when I get home tonight.

If you have a keen ear for pitch, the SQ mix is difficult to listen to. The reason: it brings out Scarlet Rivera's off-key violin. I unloaded mine nearly forty years ago with no regrets. Oh, where was Sid Page or Jerry Goodman when Bob needed them?

Hello,
who starts the polls. I enjoy this album in stereo and would like to hear what the forum has to say about Bob Dylan Desire SQ LP.
Should I purchase it.
Thhere some sweet instruments and vocals on this album.

my search results did not find an old poll post, so if i just missed it... let me know

Somehow I missed it which is funny, considering I own the Lp. Ah well, here 'tis now:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?17848-Dylan-Bob-Desire-SQ

ED :)

Back