Noob Questions. Best Program To Burn AC3 Audio Files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All!

This is my first thread here - I apologize if it isn't in the proper forum - I looked at all the topics and it seemed to fit best in this one.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I would like to burn AC3 files to DVD so that I can play them back on my second HT setup. I thought it would be easy to find a program to do this on the interwebz but...

Long story, short...I have 2 HT setups - my main one is in the basement which has a HTPC with +/- 500 Gigs of AC3 music. About a year and a half ago, my brother transcoded these files to AC3 from .WAV files that were on an external HD that I gave him for this purpose, using WAV to AC3 Encoder open-source software. At the time, I never considered using them other than with my main rig but now I'd like to occasionally play them on my second rig. I have considered using a wireless media player - I own a D-Link DSM-520 (it's old I know) but it artifacts, stumbles and generally doesn't work well (even connected with a USB stick). It's out of the question to run cable to this location and honestly I don't want to go this route even with a new media player. That brings me to my question...

What is the best/easiest software to burn AC3 files to DVD?

I've looked at a few titles and reviews. I presently don't own a program that will do this. I've looked at DVDFab and DVD-Lab pro 2. I'm not sure about either, based on what I read in the reviews, and I really don't have the skill/experience to know what's what - alot of the terminology in the reviews went right over my head.

Anyways, any and all help will be much appreciated!

As long as the AC3 files are DVD-V compliant (448 kbps), AudioMuxer (as mentioned in the post above) will do the trick. A standard length album worth of music in AC3 should only take up around 250 mb of space - so you could put over 15 albums on a single layer DVD-R. Make sure you download the AudioMuxer User guide. It's a pretty easy program to use and fairly intuitive for an intermediate PC user.

As long as the AC3 files are DVD-V compliant (448 kbps)

Thanks for the reply elmer...I'm really going to show my ignorance...what is DVD-V (compliant)? And how do you find out if they're at 448 kbps? I'm really sorry for the stupid questions...I did ask my brother what he uses to burn them - he doesn't, he just plays them from HTPC the same as what I do currently.

Hmm - well if you have DVD player software on your computer, such as PowerDVD, while the stream is playing click on the settings icon and typically it will show you the information. I wouldn't get to anxious about it though - there are very few AC3 streams that are encoded higher than 448. AudioMuxer would be the way to go IMO - SurroundByUs also has an excellent support community that can help you through the process.

BTW, I also have a Dlink DSM 520 and I stream both AC3 and DTS encoded videos wirelessly from my upstairs office to my HTS down in the family room - flawlessly. If you are using the Dlink media server software or even Windows Media Player - both are slow, temperamental, end extremely inconsistent. A USB stick connected to the DSM is not the answer either - at least for video files - too slow. I use a media server software from a German company Twonkyvision. It works perfectly - all my content both audio and video is stored on a 2TB mirror drive. Album artwork, video - all cool without any modification. The DSM also is finnicky when it comes to firewalls so you may need to modify your servers firewall settings.

And finally - there are no stupid questions - only the ones that aren't asked - no worries.

elmer, again thanks for the info!

I will check out AudioMuxer. I'll post back and let you know the results in a few days, once I've had time to get it up and running and burn a disc.

I'm going to look at Twonkyvision also, once I've mastered burning multichannel AC3 audio to DVD!

I just had a look at the kbps of a few files on VLC and they're all 640 kbps (place curse word here)! is there a way to convert to 448 kbps? I have all of my original .WAV files on another external drive. Should I download .WAV to AC3 Encoder and re-transcode to 448 kbps? Is there another way? This is turning out to potentially be a bigger project than I bargained for - that's alright because I've been sitting on the fence as to whether I want(ed) to learn more about computer audio files/codecs/multichannel in general etc...So I guess now's the time! Is there a starting point that you can recommend? recommended reading? I vaguely remember my brother showing me what was involved in transcoding the files with .WAV to AC3 but most of it he might as well have been speaking another language. I've looked at a few threads here, again, way too technical for me to understand presently. I've gotta start somewhere...Any help is very appreciated!

If you have the original surround wav files then the starting point can be whether you want /are able to play them losslessly on your standalone player. If so then your way is DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray format. If you choose the lossy route then DTS or DTS 24/96 audio in DVD-Video disc serves you the best.

I agree with Grill on this. If you have the original .wav files you have many more opportunities available to you. You just need to settle on which medium you want to play. DVD is nice. DVD still gives you the option of going DVDA (lossless) or DVDV (lossey).

If you choose the lossy route then DTS or DTS 24/96 audio in DVD-Video disc serves you the best.

Is DTS better than Dolby Digital (AC3)? The quality of sound is pretty good with the DD, to me at least.

Can you recommend a DTS encoder? At this point, so long as the sound quality is comparable, it makes no difference to me which codec I use as both HT receivers I have will decode either codec in multichannel.

I will say that I do prefer to watch movies in DD as opposed to DTS. I can't really give you a specific reason other than maybe DD sounds fuller and maybe has a little more surround effect? It's certainly arguable though.

I think I'll do a search this evening and see if I can find a DTS encoded track and have a listen.

According to the specifications DTS encoding allows a higher bitrate and in case of DTS 24/96 a higher bit depth / sampling rate as well. However, the source, the encoding algorithm and your (g)ear matter a lot.

DTS at it;s 1.211 mbp/s (CD rate) or 1.5 mbps rate (DVD) will always sound better than AC-3 at standard DVD rates. Now, on Blu-ray AC-3 can be encoded at 640 kbps, which is almost indistinguishable from the 1.2 mbps CD rate of DTS. DTS at the 758k rate on DVD is a loser - it doesn't have flat frequency response and there's no reason to use it.

Stick with DTS. BTW, AC-3 can encode up to 20-bit depth - the coder encodes the bit depth automatically. BTW, back in the LaserDisc days "True Lies" was the first AC-3 LD to have 18-bit resolution and "Titanic" was the first AC-3 LD to have 20-bit resolution.

I just had a look at the kbps of a few files on VLC and they're all 640 kbps (place curse word here)! is there a way to convert to 448 kbps? I have all of my original .WAV files on another external drive. Should I download .WAV to AC3 Encoder and re-transcode to 448 kbps? Is there another way? This is turning out to potentially be a bigger project than I bargained for - that's alright because I've been sitting on the fence as to whether I want(ed) to learn more about computer audio files/codecs/multichannel in general etc...So I guess now's the time! Is there a starting point that you can recommend? recommended reading? I vaguely remember my brother showing me what was involved in transcoding the files with .WAV to AC3 but most of it he might as well have been speaking another language. I've looked at a few threads here, again, way too technical for me to understand presently. I've gotta start somewhere...Any help is very appreciated!

If you have the original surround .wav files, then using AudioMuxer you can convert them to DTS at 1536 kbps which is significantly better than DD at either 446 or 640 AND they will be compliant for DVD-V. You will have to get a DTS encoder - I recommend Surcode for DTS. Once you have the encoder, you can pretty much do everything you need through AudioMuxer - you can use still pictures, artist/song titles - or none at all. It's a pretty comprehensive tool with alot of flexibility - and it's free (except for the Surcode). Don't convert the DD to DTS because you'll only be further compressing an already compressed file - start with the .wav files - it will be worth it for sure.

If you want a good place to start, then go the the SurroundByUs site - there is a ton of info there and a pretty agreeable community that is willing to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
For now, can I download .WAV to AC3 and AudioMuxer, encode DD and burn to disc? I assume that the .WAV to AC3 has the DD encoder - is that correct?

I looked at the prices of a couple of Minnetonka DTS encoders and at this point I don't feel confident enough in my abilities to warrant spending between $249.00 and $500.00 CAD on a DTS encoder. In the future, once I have a better grasp on the technical aspects and get higher up the learning curve, absolutely I will. Is/are there other software/companies I should look at for the DTS encoder? I am only interested in burning to DVD if that matters. I saw a CD version at Minnetonka, that's why I mention it.

Just so I understand correctly: I want to use .WAV to AC3 to encode to DD at 448 kbps, then use AudioMuxer to burn the files to DVD-V? The AC3 encoder software I'm not overly worried about using as I can have my brother talk me through it over the phone/skype.

Is this a reasonable way to proceed?

AudioMuxer will convert your .wav files to DD (AC3) @448 - no need to use a separate program - like I said earlier - it is a very versatile program

Do yourself a favor - just download AudioMuxer and the user manual. Read it, play with it - it's really pretty simple to use - you should be able to use it for pretty much all of your specific needs if DD is all you want.

Excellent! I will download tonight - read and play with it tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this is all I want or not. I guess it will depend on how good it sounds when played on disc. I have played some tracks on my second system via the DSM-520 but I'm not convinced it is outputting the best quality sound. When playing a movie with either DD or DTS on the second system it sounds much better than the 520. I am very curious to hear a high-bitrate DTS recording to compare it to the DD files I have presently. Are there any comparison files that can be downloaded legally?

Thanks

Excellent! I will download tonight - read and play with it tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this is all I want or not. I guess it will depend on how good it sounds when played on disc. I have played some tracks on my second system via the DSM-520 but I'm not convinced it is outputting the best quality sound. When playing a movie with either DD or DTS on the second system it sounds much better than the 520. I am very curious to hear a high-bitrate DTS recording to compare it to the DD files I have presently. Are there any comparison files that can be downloaded legally?

Thanks

A couple of things - first you stated, "For now, can I download .WAV to AC3 and AudioMuxer, encode DD and burn to disc? I assume that the .WAV to AC3 has the DD encoder - is that correct?" - DD and AC3 are the same thing they are just different names for the same codec. AC3 IS DD and vice versa. If you convert a .wav file to AC3, then you have converted to DD. Sorry to be redundant - just trying to be clear.

As far as DD vs. DTS - you will find very few, if any fans of DD on this forum - it is the "slum" of surround. The most lossy of the surround Codecs. DTS has a much higher sampling rate (especially at 1536) and all things being equal - should provide a far superior listening experience. What are "all things being equal?" What is the quality of the original recording? Was it mixed with just ambience in the surround speakers or was it mixed discretely? Is it concert audio/studio? etc.

As far as comparing hard disk output quality vs. the DSM 520 output, a lot depends on how you have your DSM hooked up to your receiver/amplifier - I will assume that it is optical because you cannot pass DD or DTS surround via stereo analogue RCA connections. But if it is connected correctly - there should be no difference in quality.

Finally, I'm not really sure about where to download a legal DTS file, but if you are a RUSH fan you can go out and by the new DVD Audio surround mix of "Moving Pictures" - which has DVD Audio/DTS (1536) and DD (448) - this way you can compare all of the codecs for comparison. Check out Amazon or your local Best Buy.

As far as comparing hard disk output quality vs. the DSM 520 output, a lot depends on how you have your DSM hooked up to your receiver/amplifier - I will assume that it is optical because you cannot pass DD or DTS surround via stereo analogue RCA connections. But if it is connected correctly - there should be no difference in quality.

I have it connected optically and maybe I perceive as "not as good" because of the artifacting?

I am a Rush fan so I'll definitely order it - mostly for the music, but for comparison also!!! Just an aside - I purchased alot of their discs when CDs first came out and was very disappointed with the fidelity of these discs, at the time I had the latest gear and other discs just blew their discs away. Here's hoping this dvd-a will satisfy!

I just finished downloading AudioMuxer version 0.9.3.6 and the pdf manual. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the tips and advice elmer!

Back