Noob Questions. Best Program To Burn AC3 Audio Files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have it connected optically and maybe I perceive as "not as good" because of the artifacting?

I am a Rush fan so I'll definitely order it - mostly for the music, but for comparison also!!! Just an aside - I purchased alot of their discs when CDs first came out and was very disappointed with the fidelity of these discs, at the time I had the latest gear and other discs just blew their discs away. Here's hoping this dvd-a will satisfy!

I just finished downloading AudioMuxer version 0.9.3.6 and the pdf manual. Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the tips and advice elmer!

You're welcome and good luck - BTW the Rush will not disappoint.

I looked at the prices of a couple of Minnetonka DTS encoders and at this point I don't feel confident enough in my abilities to warrant spending between $249.00 and $500.00 CAD on a DTS encoder. In the future, once I have a better grasp on the technical aspects and get higher up the learning curve, absolutely I will.
In your situation I wouldn't spend my money for a DTS encoder but I'd save money for a blu-ray player. AudioMuxer is capable of authoring AVCHD discs containing multi-channel LPCM audio. AVCHD discs can be burnt onto DVD R (DL) media which is supported by many blu-ray players. This way you can enjoy your genuine surround wav files in their original quality.

Last edited:
In your situation I wouldn't spend my money for a DTS encoder but I'd save money for a blu-ray player

I should be all set then because I have 3 blu-ray players! A blu-ray player/burner on my HTPC, a PS3 and my laptop. I've started to look for deals on another blu-ray player to take some of the heat off the PS3 which is on the second system and gets used alot, mostly for games (kids :mad:@:).

I'm playing around with AudioMuxer as we speak - starting to get the hang of it.

Thanks

1 down 1000s to go! Completed my first disc with AudioMuxer today - Woot!

Yes - Close To The Edge never sounded so good, at least and until I figure out DTS, AVCHD, LPCM, my wife and a few other things!:D

Thanks all, especially elmer and Grill, for all your help! I still certainly have many more questions though...first one!

Grill...
AudioMuxer is capable of authoring AVCHD discs containing multi-channel LPCM audio. AVCHD discs can be burnt onto DVD R (DL) media which is supported by many blu-ray players. This way you can enjoy your genuine surround wav files in their original quality.

I have AVS Audio Converter and can convert to 5.1 or 7.1 .WAV can I import to AudioMuxer and burn as is to DVD R or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

AudioMuxer is capable of authoring AVCHD discs containing multi-channel LPCM audio. AVCHD discs can be burnt onto DVD R (DL) media which is supported by many blu-ray players. This way you can enjoy your genuine surround wav files in their original quality.

Will this bitstream via optical connection or do you need to send it via multichannel analog (6 x rca cables)?

Speaking of bitstreaming, on the external drive with the Dolby Digital files that my brother converted for me are bunch of my albums (CDs) converted to .WMA. The complete specs are:Windows Media Audio 10 Professional 768 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass CBR (this is from "Properties" in WMP12). When using VLC Player my receiver plays it as Pro Logic but on WMP12 it plays as a "Dolby Digital like" file. I have a Pioneer receiver and when I play a .WMA (through WMP12) file it shows "WMA9 Pro" on the display where it would normally show Dolby Digital, DTS or DSP Option. It also shows the configuration the same as DD or DTS - it shows that it is outputting 5.1 channels plus LFE.

It sounds really good - much better than the DD encoding he did for me? Can anyone give me an idea or what's going on or what this is? I did a quick check in the receiver manual and it says that it's WMA9 Pro compliant. I did a quick check online but found virtually nothing. Does anyone know how/if this format can be burned to DVD? I'm going to check with my brother tonight to see what program he used to transcode the .WMAs.

Edit: I just had a look at AVS Audio Converter and it can convert .WAV to about 100 different versions (for lack of a better word) of WMA Pro. I bought this program on my brother's recommendations, so I bet this is the program he used. I'll confirm this tonight. It's kinda funny that these 20 odd albums/CDs have been on this hard drive for over a year and I haven't paid any attention to them - that'll learn me!

I'm really hoping for responses to this because I'd really like to know more about WMA Pro 9/10...

Last edited:
Will this bitstream via optical connection or do you need to send it via multichannel analog (6 x rca cables)?
<snip>

S/PDIF (either coax or optical) can only carry either 2 channel PCM audio or undecoded 'data' that usually consists of lossy compressed audio in the form of DD or DTS. If the source (player) and the target (receiver/prepro) support it, other data can be pased through such as WMA. In your example it appears that WMP12 is capable of wma passthrough but VLC is not, or maybe VLC player is set to decode instead of passthrough. For hi-res audio (e.g., dts-ma, tru-hd, 5.1 pcm audio) you need either multichannel analog or hdmi connection.

In the 'for what it's worth department', when talking about burning to DVD everything depends on whether you are trying to just burn files to a DVD data disc (resulting in a disc of data files) or format and burn to a DVD-video. A DVD data disc can hold whatever you want... some bluray/dvd players can play media files that are on dvd data discs, files such as mp3, wma, avi or mkv files, etc... However if you are trying to create DVD-video format disc then the audio/video codecs you use must be compliant with the DVD-video format.

Grill... I have AVS Audio Converter and can convert to 5.1 or 7.1 .WAV can I import to AudioMuxer and burn as is to DVD R or is there more to it than that?
I think it's so easy indeed. Choose Mux to mkv / Export to Blu-Ray ISO. Although I generally use flac files instead of wav.

Mch anolog cables or HDMI connection needed.

I completed 2 DTS DVDs yesterday - whoohoo! Queen - A Night At The Opera and AC/DC - Back in Black. They both sound very good. They're both 48/24. I could not find a way to complete at 96/24 even though I made the .WAV files 96/24. Is this even possible? If it is can someone enlighten me on how to do this please?

I also ordered the Rush - Moving Pictures DVD-Audio disc - hopefully I'll have it next week.

Regarding the WMA Pro 10 files, I made a 5.1 file from the specs noted on a previous post in this thread and in my humble opinion, it sounds smoother with clearer mid-low sound than the DTS version. I'm going to do some more research to see what's what - it may be the way I made the DTS files - this wouldn't surprise me because I'm so new at it. I'd welcome any information from the forum on this. I spoke to my brother regarding the transcoding program he used to make the WMA Pro files and it was AVS. He said he doesn't use WMA Pro files much - he found info on the web years ago and thought he'd try it out because he also has Pioneer AVRs, but he didn't find much of a difference and there's much more support for DD. I'm going to send him a DTS disc to see if I can turn him green!:)

Grill, is there a reason other than compression to use FLAC files? I've never used FLAC and did some reading and all I could extract from it is that it compressable and upon decompression is a 1:1 match of .WAV. What is the best program for converting to FLAC from .WAV?

Thanks

Grill, is there a reason other than compression to use FLAC files? I've never used FLAC and did some reading and all I could extract from it is that it compressable and upon decompression is a 1:1 match of .WAV. What is the best program for converting to FLAC from .WAV?
From wikipedia:
"Limitations:
The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header (some programs limit the file size to 2–4 GB). Although this is equivalent to about 6.8 hours of CD-quality audio (44.1 kHz, 16-bit stereo), it is sometimes necessary to exceed this limit, especially when greater sampling rates or bit resolutions are required. The W64 format was therefore created for use in Sound Forge. Its 64-bit header allows for much longer recording times. The RF64 format specified by the European Broadcasting Union has also been created to solve this problem.

Unlike formats like flac, WAV files don't usually have information fields, for instance, in the case of a song, title, artist, album, year, etc."
For FLAC encoding you can use numerous programs including AudioMuxer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Lossless_Audio_Codec

DTS 96/24DTS 96/24 allows the delivery of 5.1 channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio and high quality video on the DVD-Video format. Prior to the development of DTS 96/24, it was only possible to deliver two channels of 24-bit, 96 kHz audio on DVD Video. DTS 96/24 can also be placed in the video zone on DVD-Audio discs, making these discs playable on all DTS-compatible DVD players. DTS 96/24 is implemented as a core DTS stream plus an extension containing the deltas to enable 96/24 sound reproduction.
Wikipedia

Will AudioMuxer create 96/24 audio files? If no, what program(s) do I require?

I'm surprised I haven't heard from anyone in this forum regarding the WMA Pro audio files. I read the Wikipedia page on WMA Pro files and didn't see any mention of it bitstreaming at 768 kbps, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24 bit 1-pass CBR, which it does - I confirmed this with my brother (at least on Pioneer receivers - I did a check on the Pioneer site and all of their Elite receivers are WMA Pro 9 compliant). If it would help, I could take a video of it and upload it to youtube - to show what happens on the display of my receiver, not for the audio - that would be silly:)(where'd my emoticons go???). It honestly holds its' own against DTS. Again, I'm not proficient in creating DTS discs yet and it may be because of that, that I'm getting the results I am. I'm going to try to create a WMA Pro DVD-Audio DVD.

Last edited:
Are there any programs other than DTS-HD Master Audio Suite that will allow for conversion to 96/24 DTS files? $1500.00 is too much for me - once I have more experience with creating/manipulating audio files then perhaps I could justify spending this amount. I had a look for other programs but couldn't find anything.

I received (finally) the Rush - Moving Pictures DVD-Audio disc yesterday - excellent quality all 'round!!!

I must've been wearing my foil hat because I spent over an hour scouring the DTS site and I completely missed the Surround Audio Suite. I have fairly decent gear presently, especially my HTPC, however my AVR desn't support lossless DD or DTS, which is something I intend to remedy in short order. :eek:

I'm also debating which prog to buy. Can you resell software? I've never resold software so I don't know if you can transfer to another person. I'd like to purchase the Surround Audio Suite right away then buy the HD Encoder Suite, once I gain confidence in my abilities, then sell the Surround Audio Suite. Sound reasonable?

I've written down a bunch of new questions, that I'll post in the next day or two - I've been reading alot, but I gotta go now, Hockey's on in a couple of minutes - Go Habs!!!

Before you buy any software post your questions. I still believe that you'd get more bang for the buck if you complemented your hardwares rather than your softwares.

Back