OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both the current MDX and TLX have the ELS sound system.

When researching my 2015 a couple of years back, I went in with a DVD-A disc, and a USB with various FLAC files. I can't remember which resolutions were supported, other than all my DTS files played fine.

I'll be doing the same for my next vehicle, other than I won't be bringing any DVD-A discs. :)

Do you know do all TECH models (TLX,MDX) for Acura still do 5.1 FLAC or is it just RDX? I am confused and looking to get a new car myself?
(I know the Advance does - unsure for the rest.
The current generation MDX does support 5.1 FLAC with the Technology Package trim. I personally have a 2022 A-Spec model with the enhanced audio system. But the primary reason I went A-spec was because the color I wanted was exclusively available in this package plus the black exterior trim elements look better IMO than the standard chrome color.

Do you know do all TECH models (TLX,MDX) for Acura still do 5.1 FLAC or is it just RDX? I am confused and looking to get a new car myself?
(I know the Advance does - unsure for the rest.
I can verify that at least one non-ASpec TLX 2021 with Tech package can play discretely 5.1 Flac files as I tried my flash drive in his Acura. It did not have the ultimate 3D system as my ASpec ‘21 TLX has but still had an ELS system that sounded great.

Bowers & Wilkins
Diamond Surround Sound System for BMW XM

The new BMW XM pairs powerful plug-in hybrid technology with luxurious design – the perfect environment to house our Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System. This ground-breaking audio system for the BMW XM features 20 high-performance loudspeakers, including our innovative Diamond Nautilus™ dome tweeter technology, Continuum™ midrange speakers, Rohacell™ bass drivers and much more.

The result: crystal-clear, precision audio for every passenger to enjoy

Bowers & Wilkins
Diamond Surround Sound System for BMW XM

The new BMW XM pairs powerful plug-in hybrid technology with luxurious design – the perfect environment to house our Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System. This ground-breaking audio system for the BMW XM features 20 high-performance loudspeakers, including our innovative Diamond Nautilus™ dome tweeter technology, Continuum™ midrange speakers, Rohacell™ bass drivers and much more.

The result: crystal-clear, precision audio for every passenger to enjoy
Is it discrete multichannel? I’m still scarred from the HK Logic7 “surround” system I had in my E92.

Rest assured folks, it is VERY multichannel. I have enjoyed mine for over a year now with 1000+ personal quad conversions, SACD/DVD-A/BluRay rips to multihannel FLAC all on a single Samsung T7 hard drive. This system and the one used by Mercedes Benz are by far the two best car surrounds I have ever heard. One thing they do on the Bowers & Wilkins design is something I didn't like at first but have come to really appreciate now and agree with the approach. On 5.1 playback, the signal from the front center speaker is mildly leaked to two front door speakers, and honestly it sounds so much better in a car than a single audio speaker blowing sound out of the dash. Of course on true quad only 4.0 stuff, that matters not anyway. I demo'd all of these with a flash drive at the dealership before selecting a car, so you can always go listen for yourself if you are truly in the market for a new car.

Do you know if that system supports multichannel and/or Atmos? I don't see any mention of either.
Do you know if that system supports multichannel and/or Atmos? I don't see any mention of either.
It does in my Audi (which isn't listed). Unfortunately, in the Audi the stereo/multi-channel controlling software (B&W as well?) only understands <bleep> track playlists :)mad:) so if you select an album it plays the selected album over & over, and you have to bounce back through quite a few menus to select another one - not 'fun' on a touch screen on the motorway!!

So, you want a car (not an SUV; a car) with multichannel audio, but the existing options are all so meh. You also want a true driver's car: a GT with legit numbers and luxury. But you also want electric, because fossil fuels are killing the planet, and you have a social conscience, as demonstrated by your love of tofu.

Have I got the car for you.

Introducing the Lotus Emeya, an all-electric 4-door Grand Tourer that features Alcantara, Nappa leather, aluminum trim, and all the luxury you could want. Ah, but for the driver in you, it features a dual-motor AWD system that delivers an impressive 905 horsepower with 726 lb-ft of torque, and a blistering 0-60 time of 2.78 seconds.

Oh, and it has a Dolby Atmos-based sound system that Lotus claims will deliver sound not just all around you, but above and below you as well.

I'm sure it will be super-duper affordable, but no pricing has been announced as of yet.

Sorry to jump in here so late. I currently have a 2013 Acura TL Advance that I bought new, fantastic car, never had any mechanical problems, and playing DVD-A music never gets old. I'm thinking about upgrading to a new Acura RDX or MDX, test drove them both with a USB stick loaded with 5.1 FLAC files which sounded amazing. As I get older though, the seats are very uncomfortable for my long legs, even in the Advance models with the laughably useless thigh extension. I also drove a Lexus ES350 Lux which has fantastic thigh support.
I've driven multiple Lexus vehicles over the years and tested their respective ML audio systems (2009 LS 460 and 2020 RX 350 using a DVD-A disc, 2022 ES 300H and 2023 ES 350 using 5.1 FLAC on USB), and none of them were able to play the 5.1 test files correctly. The first two cars would play the 2-channel songs off the DVD-A, and the newer ones could read the 5.1 FLAC files but they would also down-mix to stereo.
My question is, I'm starting to wonder if any Lexus supports or ever supported discrete 5.1 audio? Does anyone have any insight into that? Also, I was very underwhelmed with the ML system in the two newer ES models. It seemed like all the sound was coming from the front no matter how I adjusted the settings. Not like the Acuras which bathe you in sound from every angle.

My question is, I'm starting to wonder if any Lexus supports or ever supported discrete 5.1 audio? Does anyone have any insight into that? Also, I was very underwhelmed with the ML system in the two newer ES models. It seemed like all the sound was coming from the front no matter how I adjusted the settings. Not like the Acuras which bathe you in sound from every angle.
As far as I know, none of Lexus' vehicles support discrete multichannel, either in the base systems or the ML audio.

From the first post in this thread:

Lexus IS
> 2006-?: Mark Levinson - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus LS
> 2007: Mark Levinson - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus GS
Lexus ES

Nothing new, but some support.

From the first post in this thread:

Lexus IS
> 2006-?: Mark Levinson - DVD-Audio/DTS/Dolby Digital/DVD Video
Lexus LS
Lexus GS
Lexus ES

Nothing new, but some support.
Those models will read DVD-Audio discs, but remember that most DVD-A discs contain multiple versions of an album, including a stereo version for backwards compatibility. After doing my own tests on an LS and RX, I'm fairly certain they were reading the 2-channel files on the disc and not the 5.1 files. That could make people think they support 5.1 audio when they actually don't. I didn't try a 5.1 DTS CD so I'm not sure how those would work. 5.1 DTS CD's sounds great in my Acura btw.
I think cdheer is correct, no modern Lexus models support discrete 5.1 audio, and I'm starting to think they never did.

Back