Ok, Pick Just ONE title you REALLY, REALLY WANT IN MC(with conditions)....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jellyfish, "Spilt Milk", 1993. A sonic masterpiece in stereo. So many glorious sounds and textures to work with. Unfortunately, due partly to the onslaught of grunge in the early '90s, this album never got the recognition it deserved. But those who know this album have unfaltering adoration.

By the way... I was thinking about this a LONG time ago (over 7 years ago!). Say 'goodnight', your song is through. Faint refrain we hardly knew.

Moraz.jpg

Oh man, please please please...

Jim

Last edited:
You guys are all too kind and I think we should get the thread back on topic, so...
Thank you, Snood!
Yes, Blue.Monk - name the time and place and we'll form the best Jellyfish tribute band ever!
Sarah has never complained about her name and loves Jellyfish as well, Jim.
Thanks, Lute - my first video was years ago, so it seems the second one is the bigger challenge.

And most importantly... Wouldn't "Spilt Milk" be fabulous in multichannel?!?!?!?"

Another zombie thread lurches back to life as I nominate an album by an artist that I've yet to hear mentioned ANYWHERE on this forum, the late great Kirsty MacColl (although her ex-husband/sometimes producer Steve Lillywhite did get a namecheck a ways back in this thread). I've gone on a little Kirsty binge lately and have to say that her body of work still moves me as much as anything else from the last 25 years that could reasonably be called pop music. Much as I love Titanic Days, Tropical Brainstorm, and Electric Landlady I'm going to go with Kite, a Lillywhite produced album that was her artistic breakthrough. Subject matter includes this take on fame, in '15 Minutes'--'Then there's always the cash. Selling your soul for some trash. Smiling at people that you cannot stand, you're in demand. Your 15 minutes start now.' Love her way with words, her ear for harmony, and her x-ray vision of human frailty and fallibility, including her own. There's much more to her than 'Fairytale of New York'.

Why do it in surround? First, because 'Kite' is dense and could use some space for the shimmering guitars (by Johnny Marr and David Gilmore, among others) and (especially) Kirsty's richly layered angelic harmonies to shine in. The production is of its era, I'd love to hear it remixed and sorted out with greater clarity and definition; although the 2005 remaster does sound decent, I find myself wanting to reach into the mix and drag parts of the 'wall of sound' around the room. Plus the 5.1 mixes of Nonesuch and Oranges & Lemons make a great case for remixing Beach-Boys-style harmonies in surround. Paging Steven Wilson.

I'll let the article linked below pay tribute to Kirsty's great soul, sadly departed in 2000, and suggest what it is about her music that makes it among my college-bound twin daughters' faves (at least among the music I've forced down their throats). Though I'm not sure how happy I should be that one of them knows all the words to "I'm Going Out with an 80-year-old Millionaire".

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/sep/30/kirsty-maccoll-great-songwriter-jude-rogers

Back