OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! Great news! I won a Sansui QRX-6001 on eBay this week! I hadn't posted until now because I wanted to make sure the unit was on its way to me, and it should arrive on Wed. August 24. It's supposed to be in great condition and I got it for what I think is a very good price. Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270622662435&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

When it arrives I'll take some pics. Hopefully the item description is accurate and I can use it right away. I may still send it to Chris Ready for some TLC, but now I don't quite know what to do with the Lafayette. Decisions, decisions.... At last, I finally have one of the Sansui QRX receivers!! :)

right on!

cant tell much about the seller - EBAY is doing free listing right now - brought out a lot of gear - but one thing is for sure - if that system was the sellers - they had the right idea - so many people forget that you need four of the same exact speakers - for a balanced response - this person had that - never heard of BIC - but there are libraries filled with things i havent heard of.

the lights throughout the am/fm faceplate will come and go - sometimes a thump to the front glass will get 'em going - sometimes that will light one up...and darken another!

let us know what you think about the sound - i have had several 5,6 and 7001s...alot of them sounded great without any ...uh...anything.

AND let us hear from you again.

the lafayette? put it up for grabs here first - whats the model - maybe Doug G. has me interested - i will try cd-4...with the right machine.

anywho - welcome to Sansui QS Synth Quad - and as your first test-play - play something you have listened to a million billion times - and play it in qs synth mode - surround - put all four speakers right in front of you - and let us know if that tune on the million billion and one time youve played it sounds better than youve ever heard it before.

oh yeah - someone will correct me if i am wrong - but heres how i check all four channels on those receivers ---

i put a cd player into 2-channel aux input -
i put all four speakers right in front of me -
i label each of the speakers with a post-it note...right front - left front...etc. -
then i play that tune youre already so familiar with in qs synth mode -
and then i adjust the the balance all the way to the front - and then listen to just front left - cranking back n forth on the volume to clear out the dust -
and then all the way to the right front - again, crank back n forth on the volume to work out the kinks -
and then balance all the way to the rear...and repeat the process for rear - left and right.
once thats done - because all four speakers are directly in front of you - balance it all back out - front and rear selector knob to "even" or neutral or balanced evenly - and the same for left and right - leave them balanced evenly - and then start your tune over again - and this time sit down and listen, listen and listen.

if there arent pops or crackles fading in and out - youve got yourself a winner - and even if it does snap - crackle and pop while adjusting some knobs - as long as it calms down - youre in the clear.

hey who cares what i think?

william a reid

Thanks, William. I plan to do some of what you suggest when the unit arrives. I have my speakers mounted on the wall, and I really don't relish the idea of taking them down to do the balancing, but I'm pretty good at telling the balance where they are. I love the QS synth mode, though I haven't heard it in years: a friend of mine had a QR4500 back in the '70s, and it was awesome. He even had the beautiful Sansui SF-1 speakers:
http://www.classicsansui.net/images/Literature/Speakers/SF1.jpg The first time I ever heard Queen's Killer Queen album was on his system, then we listened to Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here. The Queen was just a stereo record, and Pink Floyd was SQ, but I can still recall how amazing it all sounded. Never could afford a Sansui quad receiver until now. By the way BIC made turntables as well as speakers, I remember the Venturi series sounding pretty good, kind of similar to the JBL L-100; they were also the first (and maybe only?) turntable manufacturer to offer a belt-driven record changer like this one: http://www.fowlervillehistory.org/stereo/original_system/bic_940_turntable.html . Regarding the seller, they are just getting started, and they were in frequent communication with me regarding the packaging and they said they would do it as I suggested: double-boxed, receiver wrapped in bubble wrap and then well cushioned in the inner box, with additional cushioning in the outer box to pad the first. They seem to genuinely want to please their customers, so I'm hopeful that I'm getting a good unit. I'll know in a few days!

I got my "new" Sansui QRX-6001 receiver last night, it was very well packed, and the eBay seller, true to their word, included the original owner's manual. Not only that they also had in the package everything that was included in the original carton, including the CD-4 adjustment record, which looks like it hasn't been played, spare fuses, the quick connection placard, and the original schematic diagram!!! I'm posting pictures so you guys can see it.

This morning, I hooked it up, and.....no right rear channel! I looked through the owner's manual, and found the part about the fused protection, and realized that there might be bad fuses, so I opened the case, changed the fuses, and voila! Sound from all around! I am so impressed with the sound quality of this unit, there are no scratchy volume or tone pots or switches. I've been listening to the balance, and it is really good. I played Steely Dan Pretzel Logic, a QS disc, and I can truly say I've never heard it so good before (I've never owned a Sansui Quad unit before, all of my others only had RM decoders). I've adjusted the CD-4 demodulator, and it too is superior to the others I've had, much clearer separation. Right now I'm listening to the Quadradisc of James Taylor One Man Dog, very nice! Next up is Loggins and Messina Full Sail, in SQ. I knew that this receiver would probably sound good, and I am so happy with it so far. I would post some pics, but I can't get the uploader to work.

.............. I would post some pics, but I can't get the uploader to work.

Quadjoe,

What happens when you try and upload pictures? The vB4 method is a bit different than vB3 (like SHF), but you should be able to do it. What happens?

jon,

It acts like it is downloading, but when I try to drag and drop, it won't let me, I get a circle with a line through it. Does it go to some other window that isn't opening up?

Back in the day, this was my favorite Quad System: JVC 5456X Receiver (built in CD-4 Demodulator & 7 band EQ), Philips 212 Turntable, Shure V15 Type V cartridge, Wollensak 8080 Quad 8 Track Recorder with Dolby, etc. I don't even remember which speakers I had then.

Well, I guess I'm not going to be able to post any pics, I simply cannot get the attachment manager to work. I have uploaded them, but no matter how I try to select the file I cannot drag them from the "Upload from your computer" box and drop them into the "attachments" box. Does anyone have any suggestions for a very frustrated person?? I would really love to show you the pics of my "new" QRX-6001. P8240017.JPG P8250021.JPG :help:

Well, I guess I'm not going to be able to post any pics, I simply cannot get the attachment manager to work. I have uploaded them, but no matter how I try to select the file I cannot drag them from the "Upload from your computer" box and drop them into the "attachments" box. Does anyone have any suggestions for a very frustrated person?? I would really love to show you the pics of my "new" QRX-6001. P8240017.JPG P8250021.JPG :help:

You don't have to drag and drop, just select. The Drag and Drop is only for files that you have previously uploaded and appear in the upper section.
Once they're in the lower section, your done. See this thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?13380

If that still gives you trouble, try this:

Use the "BASIC UPLOADER". If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you.

:mad:@:

Attachments

• basic uploader.jpg
    basic uploader.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 323
Thanks, JonUrban, I guess I just misunderstood the process, and then I looked at the images and discovered that they were too large for the forum. I just got a new digital camera, and I didn't realize that it would make image files so large.

Anyway, here are some pics of my Sansui QRX-6001. I'm really happy with it. It does have a couple of burnt-out bulbs in the dial, so I will send it off for some TLC soon, but there are no crackles when adjusting any of the knobs, the channel balance is excellent (thanks William for the hints), and the QS and SQ decoders work very well, as does the CD-4 demodulator, though it does start off a little noisy, but once the unit is warmed up, no problems. I especially like that the CD-4 adjustments are on the front of the receiver which makes setting it up much easier.

P8250021.jpg P8240017.jpg

those lights come and go with the receivers mood - LIKE A MOOD RING! when its happy its all a-glow - and when its feeling blue, you lose a light or two (hey i rhyme)

all of those bulbs work - that flaw is inherent with the 6 and 7oo1 models - i bet chris ready will do a LED conversion for you - and will eliminate that heat.

or you can thump the dial glass - works for me !

sweet buy

w.a.r.

The dial light on the left does indeed go on and off, but the right one just stays off. I do intend to send it to Chris for a checkup and LED conversion in the not too distant future, but I'm really enjoying it right now and since there seem to be no serious issues I figure it can wait for a little bit. I'm going to send him my Sansui G-4700 stereo receiver for some work (tuner needs recalibration, scratchy volume pot and on/off switch) so I can put it in the exercise room we're about to add to the house, and I may send him the Lafayette LR-5000 for some repairs/adjustments (weak right rear channel, amplifier hum, burnt out bulbs). w.a., do you think that it would be a good idea to do that to the Lafayette if I'm going to sell it to one of the folks on here? Or should I just let them do it themselves?

By the way, I found out from the seller that the QRX-6001 was their own personal unit, now I understand why all of the stuff was included with the receiver. It was indeed a sweet buy.

Last edited:
Listen to the members here: forget about Soundesign. It's pure garbage. Back in the 80's I rep'd the line. What a joke. Mostly plastic proprietary junk. They made alot of "units" that were "all in one". Receiver, EQ, CD, etc. I loved the EQ: a 7 band EQ that all 7 sliders moved up & down togeather as one! No other options. How is that a 7 band EQ? Sounddesign was a step down from Emerson, which we also rep'd in the 80's. Does anyone remember when Sansui, Kenwood bit the dust?

Hello Quad fan's my set up is a Sansui QRX 5500 bought over seas through the Navy exchange in the PI in 74 I have just used the 2channel converson to Quad. Two years ago found a pair of Sp 3200a speakers to match the set I bought back in 74 what a difference the marantz HD 88's I bought back in the late 70's were nice but were not ballanced well with the other speakers. Thank's to the internet and CL I was able to complete my setup some 35 yr's later.I see a lot of sansui Quads and a few old sailors here and that we have a place to share the golden days of quad with. A buddy of mine just got back from the PI and brought back a12 pack of San magoo's they are awating a warm summer day here in the PNW so I sit on my front deck and watch the ships go up and down the Puget sound and sip a San magoo with my buddies and listen to my 37 yr old Quad system and enjoy life. Ken

Hello Quad fan's my set up is a Sansui QRX 5500 bought over seas through the Navy exchange in the PI in 74 I have just used the 2channel converson to Quad. Two years ago found a pair of Sp 3200a speakers to match the set I bought back in 74 what a difference the marantz HD 88's I bought back in the late 70's were nice but were not ballanced well with the other speakers. Thank's to the internet and CL I was able to complete my setup some 35 yr's later.I see a lot of sansui Quads and a few old sailors here and that we have a place to share the golden days of quad with. A buddy of mine just got back from the PI and brought back a12 pack of San magoo's they are awating a warm summer day here in the PNW so I sit on my front deck and watch the ships go up and down the Puget sound and sip a San magoo with my buddies and listen to my 37 yr old Quad system and enjoy life. Ken

very cool!
i sit here in the freezing (-15F tonight!) northeast u.s. drinking, when i'm lucky, some sapporo or kirin japanese beer (i was there in '73/'74) and listenig to my 37/38 year old quad system. sometimes friends are here, sometimes not.
most of the time i just drink u.s. beer tho. but the quad system keeps on keepin' on.

bought much of my gear at zama px and, 20 klics down the road, at yakusaka naval base bx.

I'll just list the quad stuff I have for now.

Receivers: Kenwood KR-9940 & 7340 - Pioneer QX-9900 & 8000A
R2Rs: Akai GX-630D-SS (3 of these) & Tascam 34
8-Tracks: Sony TC-258 (2 of these) & Akai CR-80D-SS
Decoder: Marantz CD-400

Hundreds of LPs and tapes (reel & 8 track) all quad mainly discrete. I run my main system through a Tascam mixer via a patchbay.

I have some other quad stuff like EQs a Quadverb by Digitech etc etc.

Back