OK Quad guys! What's your receiver???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php
Currently listening to FM radio on this JVC, I never would have thought I would be listening to radio on a receiver again. I love the Joy stick, its a nice little unit, to bad the glass is cracked.

I'll bet you can find the glass if you looked enough. I see all sorts of parts online. nice unti!!

Hello guys,

I am new here and have just bought a B&O Beomaster 6000 4-channel that I had lusted after for years.

P1000452.jpg

P1000454.jpg

P1000455.jpg

It was the first of two attempts, and one of the most complicated receivers ever made. It relies on a special motor control on the balance, tonestack and volume controls with a electomagnetic clutch on each of the variable parameters. The readout is a giant backlighted display, very beautiful Jacob Jensen design!

It has inputs for a normal record deck, a record deck with CD4 demodulator board (Beogram 6000 was the intended model), two sets of tape in/outs for four channel tape recorder with monitor ability. It features SQ decoder, ambiophonic (pseudo-quad) circuit, filters and routing options with a nice FM tuner with 6 presets. This set is a rare piece of B&O.

e
SONY SQR-6650, not a half bad setup for a 17 year old if I do say so myself.
sqr-6650.JPG

Panasonic RS-845US Q8
Panasonic%20Model%20RS-845US%208%20Track%201.jpg

Bought my SQR-6650 brand new back in my teenage years with hard earned money from my weekend job working as a projectionist at my home town theater. I still remember when I first walked into the stereo shop's audio listening room and laid eyes on it. I think it was the budding geek in me (I'm a computer programmer by trade) that went gaga over the row of VU meters,. Those four meters! I was riveted watching them dance before my eyes as my ears feasted on every note they were responding to. I didn't buy it on the spot though... funds were tight and I wanted to make sure I got something I was going to be happy with for years to come After all, the Sound Design receiver I got through joining the BMG music club had turned out to be such a huge disappointment. So, I kept looking around, but I couldn't get my mind off the way it surrounded me with the music from the SQ encoded albums. Was it really that amazing to me? Was I really as stunned by the quadraphonic sounds coming from this receiver, to the same degree that I was the first time I heard Bridge over Troubled Water in stereo? I went back a second time and the answer was a resounding yes! The third time back, I had the money in hand. :)
My 6650 served me well over the course of the next 5 years despite having one of the VU meter scales warp shortly after purchase. Listening to Peter Frampton, Karla Bonhoff, Chicago (one of my few SQ encoded albums), and Boston with all four speakers going, was a treat to the ears.
That's not to say the unit didn't have it's shortcomings...
While it had plenty of power for everyday listening levels, In a college dorm environment, even with a pair of "high efficiency" Cerwin Vegas, it easily "clipped" in stereo mode when I cranked up the volume in vain attempts to drown out the music emanating from my neighbor's high-end systems. The other annoyance was that it didn't have any 4 channel line out jacks for driving outboard power amplifiers. With some mild misgivings, I finally sold the receiver right before I graduated from college, but it didn't take long before I regretted that decision. Recently, I rectified that mistake and purchased another 6650 off of eBay with - would you believe it(?) - another warped scale in one of it's VU meters! LOL!
So, if anyone knows where I can pick up another VU meter, please let me know! :)

hello members, i recently purchased a sansui qrx 8001 quadraphonic receiver...i would like to hear your suggestions about this receiver..i always hear good comments on the sansui qrx 9001 ..i am new to this group so any advaice good or bad is about this receiver...i am beginning to explore the quadraphonic world once again like in the old days when i was a kid

Hello I recently joined and bought Sansui Quad 6500 in 1972 sold in 1975. Currently 2 Qrx9001 one restored by Jim Showker. one QRX 7001

Welcome to QQ, Fishhead! Great Quad receivers!!

BTW: I'm a Fishhead, or a fan of the New Orleans Radiators. Not to be confused with Phishheads, who follow Phish. What's the significance of your handle?

Hello I recently joined and bought Sansui Quad 6500 in 1972 sold in 1975. Currently 2 Qrx9001 one restored by Jim Showker. one QRX 7001

Why hello Thank you for your kind words. The Fishhead handle is all about my passion for off shore fishing. Not uncommon to put 100 miles on the trips.P5310086.jpg. Have you had any work done by Jim Showker? I am going to send him another Qrx 9001 to restore. I just enjoy my vintage toys all of the old stuff will need fixing at some point just like me lol. Thanks again for welcoming me to your club. Please turn up the volume and throw away the knob all the best Charlie

Is that a tuna? I've done a lot of fishing, on either charter boats or the roughly 24 interconnected inland lakes/river I once lived on. That ain't a Northern Pike, or even a Coho Salmon, which are the biggest I've caught. I've had three boats, 24' 16' and a 12' rowboat for fishing, which I towed with the 24.' I'm itching to get a boat again.

No, I've never had Jim do a restore for me. Although I have a lot of vintage gear, all but one of my 5 surround systems are modern gear with decoders, demodulators, and Quad tape connected. Modern B&K, Denon, Onkyo and Sony units power 4 of those systems. Three of my 5 systems do Quad, yet I don't own a Quad receiver. Click on my name for equipment list.

Be careful, you could die of Tarpin Monoxide poisoning! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

016.jpgSAM_0082_0016.jpgHey fishing lady Wow you sure are a angler. That fish is a African Permit 120 miles off the Saint petersburg coast. That is my friend holding his catch. I use to fly into remote lake regions in Canada for weeks on end no guide. We meausure the pike between the eyes. Also Musky 6 inches is a huge pike. Now its Gulf of Mexico the black fin tuna are here start at 100 feet depth. Have eaten it as soon as it hits the deck raw. 011.jpg Here is my dog being carefull not to breath in the Tarpon monoxide. That was a good one. You have awsome hi fi gear. The other fish is Tuna. The two fellas is a Gag grouper 26 miles off shore./ The hatless guy is me and my buddy from the Wildlife Saloon days. Fish more fish more often Charlie

Oh, and I wanted to add that that picture with your dog in it is funny. Does he get all excited when the fish is about to be brought aboard or remain calmly observant?

Although I would probably be called more of a cat person (I can relate to Linda's descriptions of her cat in the other thread getting mad when he isn't fed on time. I have had them bite me in the Achilles tendon for that oversight - you know, just as a reminder), I love dogs too and they are wonderful creatures.

Doug

Actually, Doug, I wrote that he gets PO'ed when I don't feed him EARLY!

I've had two cats and two dogs and I love both.

(I can relate to Linda's descriptions of her cat in the other thread getting mad when he isn't fed on time. I have had them bite me in the Achilles tendon for that oversight - you know, just as a reminder), I love dogs too and they are wonderful creatures.

Doug

Yes Doug The Dog will bolt to the reel and at times he looks like he is reeling em in lol. He has kissed octopuss. looked down the throat of some huge bull sharks. You gotta get out of the way when a fish is on for he will bowl you over for a cocker he plays. large . He enjoys The wonderfull sound of Quad. I am new on this sort of thing and am thankfull that I joined. I just had a fella offeer to me a SansuiQRX 999 Quad black face reciever. It is in maryland and he says a 9.5 in condition. I gotta call him after this post. Trouble is that would be my 4th QRX (aww come on Mom Can I get it for I dont have a black face one). By the time it gets restored by Jim Showker at Vintage restorations The thing will cost around 2 grand. All this old gear needs to be brought to specs. Holy cow the cat went after your tendon ! I hope its purrrrfect now. Cats rule. Peace Charlie

Doug, dogs are like guys. Treat them like dirt, give them treats, and they'll come back for more. Cats are like women, they need to be seduced. Beat a cat once and you're done.

We now return you to Charlie's World of Sansushi, brought to you by Fish On, the perfume that's irresistable to men, and Tascam, the tape deck that's irresistable to dogs.

Back