David Bowie: Ziggy-era Box out in June; Dolby Atmos Blu-Ray out in Sept!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad this classic album is getting a standalone Atmos blu ray. Good job Warner (Parlophone). Presume it will be available at all retailers... Hopefully the mix lives up to it?

"The Atmos mix was done by Emre Ramazanoglu with original producer Ken Scott at RAK Studios, London."

He did the Brian Eno Atmos mixes I think...

From the Bowie Facebook page:

Of this new Dolby Atmos mix the albumā€™s co-producer, Ken Scott says ā€œYouā€™re in there with the act, with David. He was so theatrical I think being able to put him into an immersive place makes this a really good choice for an Atmos mix. My whole philosophy with this has been to make it more like a live experience. And Iā€™ve even got him moving about the stage a little towards the end, the way he would have in real life. Hopefully, it just feels as if youā€™re in the theatre with this amazing show going on.ā€

It worries me looking at the SDE shop page that tracks 8, 9, & 10 are written smaller than the rest of the tracks, could it be that these tracks are not Atmos? what is the significance of this?
Although I am not a huge Bowie fan I have ordered this one.

It worries me looking at the SDE shop page that tracks 8, 9, & 10 are written smaller than the rest of the tracks, could it be that these tracks are not Atmos? what is the significance of this?
Although I am not a huge Bowie fan I have ordered this one.
Probably a typo.

...Or maybe they'll make the mixes that much quieter.

From the Bowie Facebook page:

Of this new Dolby Atmos mix the albumā€™s co-producer, Ken Scott says ā€œYouā€™re in there with the act, with David. He was so theatrical I think being able to put him into an immersive place makes this a really good choice for an Atmos mix. My whole philosophy with this has been to make it more like a live experience. And Iā€™ve even got him moving about the stage a little towards the end, the way he would have in real life. Hopefully, it just feels as if youā€™re in the theatre with this amazing show going on.ā€
Did he say anything about the earlier 5.1 mix? Normally having the original producer involved in surround sound mixes is a good sign, but I've heard rather middling things about that earlier Ziggy 5.1 mix Ken Scott was involved in, and I don't know if I should expect the Atmos to be any better.

Nice one... As it's a good price I've pre-ordered it ;)

As stated over at SDE: -
900.jpeg

Last edited:
Did he say anything about the earlier 5.1 mix? Normally having the original producer involved in surround sound mixes is a good sign, but I've heard rather middling things about that earlier Ziggy 5.1 mix Ken Scott was involved in, and I don't know if I should expect the Atmos to be any better.

My thoughts exactly as I picked up (and still have) the original 5.1 SACD when it was first released and was rather disappointed with the mix at that time. I haven't listened to it much since or certainly lately, but I recall that it was not very discrete and overall very flat sounding.

I'd like to get some confirmation that this is indeed a new mix before I might buy it again.

Jonathan

Back