Old stuff now released in surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
I'm very curious about this....
A lot of people on here have talked about the "rumors" (or "rumours" for our qq-ers from across the pond) of older material that was allegedly mixed for quad but never released.

Have there been older recordings -- like 70's era -- that were never released in quad but were finally released in some sort of multichannel format?

Thanks!

There have been a few, the most notable one for me would be Audio Fidelity's SACD release of Billy Cobham's Spectrum, which previously only had one track (Quadrant 4) available on the WEA European 'CD-4 Quadraphonic Experience' sampler LP. AF's SACD of Laura Nyro's Eli and the Thirteenth Confession also features a previously-unreleased quad mix.

D-V have also issued one SACD with a previously unreleased quad mix, Paul Revere & the Raiders Hard 'n ' Heavy (with Marshmallow) which was part of a two-fer that includes Indian Reservation, which was released during the quad era. For some reason the Hard 'n' Heavy quad master tape was missing two tracks, so Sony's Mark Wilder remixed the two missing tracks in quad for D-V's SACD.

The two Gentle Giant CD+DVD-V sets of Free Hand and Interview that came out about 10 years ago also feature previously unreleased quad mixes done by the band with engineer Paul Northfield. The more recent Blu-Ray re-release of Free Hand also includes the quad mix as well.

Actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't the Elton John early stuff like Tumbleweed Connection, Captain Fantastic, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, etc., fall into that category? I'm guessing they were never mixed for quad way back when. So these would just be newly done surround from old master tapes.

Couple of quads that have surfaced from the Sony 360 Reality Audio vaults - that were previously unreleased I think? 🔓

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Blood, Sweat & Tears - New Blood
Porter Waganor & Dolly Parton - Together Always

Oh yes - unreleased quads, we will one day find you! :)

Might be a few more I've forgotten?

Couple of quads that have surfaced from the Sony 360 Reality Audio vaults - that were previously unreleased I think? 🔓

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
Blood, Sweat & Tears - New Blood
Porter Waganor & Dolly Parton - Together Always

Oh yes - unreleased quads, we will one day find you! :)

Might be a few more I've forgotten?
Byrds "Byrdmaniax" (1st time discrete and domestic release, formerly Japanese SQ LP only release),
Elvis Presley "Elvis Country",
Harry Belafonte "Play Me",
Isley Brothers "Heat Is On",
Johnny Mathis "Love Story" (1st
time discrete and domestic release, previously Japanese SQ LP only release),
Tanya Tucker "Greatest Hits"..

and a couple more Dolly's maybe?
(i wanna say "My Tennessee Mountain Home" & "My Favourite Writer Porter Wagoner" but i need to double check those two)

Back