Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading these other reviews of the BP-83 Special Edition and started to wonder. Maybe I hadn't given it a fair shot. There seems to be a lot of people who are really going nuts over this upgrade. So I tried to look at possible reasons I wasn't hearing what the others were. I'm really not getting this I thought. Were they doing anything different than I had?

Both guys mentioned burn in, which I had not done.When I checked this out it was straight out of the box. Maybe the burn in could play a part . I've had equipment that sounded the same 5 years later as the day I took it out of the box. And the complete opposite. Maybe this would help it. So I put a DVD-A in and hit repeat. For a week.
I still used it, but if I wasn't watching it it was on repeat. And no sit down real critical listening. Finally, yesterday I had a couple uninterrupted hours to sit and listen again. Same discs. And I have to be honest, it made a significant difference. My previous complaints simply were not there. It is much clearer, and the mid range seems to have tamed down quite a bit. I compared it this time to a Denon 2910 and 3910 and of course the BDP-83 Standard Edition. It has better detail and less grain than the 2910, and definitely in the 3910's league on both counts, But the presence still seems lacking. It seems to be somewhat better than the Standard in that, but I never thought that was a strength of it. Nor do I now with either Oppo unit. The 3910 pretty much stomped them both with DVD-A and SACD playback. I am being made to understand now that this technologically is a much better transport than either Denon though and it doesn't have to be this way. The Oppo should sound better, and it can. More on that later.

My Special Edition does sound better than my Standard now. But, and it's a big but. Do I feel it's worth $300 for the upgrade? Or a $400 outright jump? No way. Not for a $500 player.Don't get me wrong if you can afford a $10,000 power cord then by all means get the Special Edition. It is better. You would be foolish not to, But I stand by my original opinion, proportionately it's just not worth it. If this player was 3 times it's price and cost $1500, and the Special Edition was $2,700 there would be no question.

There are still people that to them the difference between $500 and $900 is a lot of money. And I am a firm believer in the law of diminishing returns. A $400 increase and a lot of what they did was simply cleaning up the signal path? They actually REMOVED several caps and such. The DAC's are better, But without the rest of the cleanup I seriously doubt you would have been able to tell the difference. I'm reading a lot of comments that the Standard Edition with even minor mods($160) will out perform a stock Special Edition. But they do go on to say that the modded Special Edition is truly amazing and in a whole different league.

But like you were hearing it for the first time? What were you listening to before? Words like surreal, exemplary, remarkable. Seriously? Are you saying this in comparison to the standard edition? Or overall? Because I thought that was a nice sounding unit and it played BluRay. A true universal player. Definitely the best universial bang for the buck by light years. But there were definite trade offs for the convenience. I know I have heard several different high end dedicated DVD-A and SACD players that just plain sounded better for multichannel. IMHO Who Knows? Maybe mine is broke.

And if this is so revolutionary you really shouldn't listen to the NuForce version. They are the company that helped Oppo with the analog redesign. And it's supposed to be a not subtle improvement of the SE. It's $1295 http://www.nuforce.com/hi/products/oppo_bdp83se/index.php . And oddly enough the things they are saying they improve are the thing's that I feel are the deficiencies of this unit. Modwright- same thing. And you can say of course that modders and upgraders have a vested interest in promoting their products and services.

Ric Shultz at Electronic Visionary Systems is really doing some work on these. Please take a look at what he has to say. He gives a very detailed explanation as to what Oppo did for their "upgrade".
http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/83SEversus_83.html

He even gives some of his tweaks away. Ric is also talking to Oppo about the feasibility of switching the DAC's. Using the 32 bit on the multichannel, and the 24 bit quadrupled on the stereo. Much like Denon chose to do on their new universal player, the DBP-4010UDCI. At $2000 it's not cheap, but seems to be more focused on the multichannel enthusiast.

As most have said this Special edition means nothing if you use HDMI. And someone asked earlier, I believe it was Chris, if you use the analog, would you hear a difference? Without a doubt.
this would make a difference. It has to, you will be using a completely different digital and analog stages . The transports the only thing that doesn't change. It's up to you whether you like it or not, but it will be different.
I want my player to play it's quad or multichannel at least as good if not better than it's stereo, and maybe a modder or more money is the only way to get that.

And finally, for the record, I don't care how well it plays stereo. I prefer multichannel and will go to some pretty absurd lengths to avoid 2 channel if I can.

I will be keeping my SE. It will also be leaving in a few days for some modding and tweaking.
Want me to let you know how that goes?:smokin:banana:

Mine goes to Dan on Jan 7 for the full monty Modwright mods. Dan is quite geeked about the new DACs and what his completely redesigned boards and PS will do. BTW, my broken-in SE mch analog outs are quite a bit better than my MW Denon 3910 Signature edition, although the mch outs in the MW signature were simply a $100 mod option (opamp work). The 2 channel tubed analog stage of the 3910 and the analog stage of the SE are darn near the same, with the MW having a slight advantage in tonality, but detail, dynamics and soundstage width take a back seat. Can't wait for the MW magic.

Mine goes to Dan on Jan 7 for the full monty Modwright mods. Dan is quite geeked about the new DACs and what his completely redesigned boards and PS will do. BTW, my broken-in SE mch analog outs are quite a bit better than my MW Denon 3910 Signature edition, although the mch outs in the MW signature were simply a $100 mod option (opamp work). The 2 channel tubed analog stage of the 3910 and the analog stage of the SE are darn near the same, with the MW having a slight advantage in tonality, but detail, dynamics and soundstage width take a back seat. Can't wait for the MW magic.

Dan does good work. I had him mod one of my SACD players years ago. I'm sure his Oppo upgrade will be worth it.

Dan does good work. I had him mod one of my SACD players years ago. I'm sure his Oppo upgrade will be worth it.

Yes, I'm one of his beta testers for his non-mod business (preamps, etc.) and his first customer for the Transporter. This will be my seventh Modwright product or mod. I own his incredible dual mono two-box 36.5 preamplifier, his MW hyper-modded Transporter, his Denon 3910 Signature with external tube-rectified power supply, and have owned his first preamp the SWL 9.0SE, the Sony 999ES full mod, etc. I'll be helping him in his CES room if anyone wants to drop by. :)

Yes, I'm one of his beta testers for his non-mod business (preamps, etc.) and his first customer for the Transporter. This will be my seventh Modwright product or mod. I own his incredible dual mono two-box 36.5 preamplifier, his MW hyper-modded Transporter, his Denon 3910 Signature with external tube-rectified power supply, and have owned his first preamp the SWL 9.0SE, the Sony 999ES full mod, etc. I'll be helping him in his CES room if anyone wants to drop by. :)

A mod beta tester? Sounds like fun! :)

Ric Shultz at Electronic Visionary Systems is really doing some work on these. Please take a look at what he has to say. He gives a very detailed explanation as to what Oppo did for their "upgrade".
http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/83SEversus_83.html

He even gives some of his tweaks away. Ric is also talking to Oppo about the feasibility of switching the DAC's. Using the 32 bit on the multichannel, and the 24 bit quadrupled on the stereo. Much like Denon chose to do on their new universal player, the DBP-4010UDCI. At $2000 it's not cheap, but seems to be more focused on the multichannel enthusiast.

As most have said this Special edition means nothing if you use HDMI. And someone asked earlier, I believe it was Chris, if you use the analog, would you hear a difference? Without a doubt.
this would make a difference. It has to, you will be using a completely different digital and analog stages . The transports the only thing that doesn't change. It's up to you whether you like it or not, but it will be different.
I want my player to play it's quad or multichannel at least as good if not better than it's stereo, and maybe a modder or more money is the only way to get that.

And finally, for the record, I don't care how well it plays stereo. I prefer multichannel and will go to some pretty absurd lengths to avoid 2 channel if I can.

I will be keeping my SE. It will also be leaving in a few days for some modding and tweaking.
Want me to let you know how that goes?:smokin:banana:

Are you going for the Ric Shultz mods on your Oppo?

Boy after reading the links above about the modders I'm wondering if the way to go is to just get the standard bdp83 and let the modders do the rest since theyre already changing some of the 83SE upgrades(except for the DACS).
On the other hand I still don't know whether its more cost effective to just run the BDP83 thru hdmi on a modern receiver for great sound instead of improving the analog outs for a legacy system.
I'm using an oppo 970 which doesn't seem to be held in the same regard as the 980. Picture wise I prefer the Toshiba xa2 for its superb upscaling of dvds it certainly looks better than the oppo 970.

I am using the BDP83 for a few weeks now. Compared to my Onkyo 502 player, it makes quite some difference. With stereo a bit more detail, but with SACD and DVD-A a lot more. Also instruments are better placed. All in all a nice upgrade from my Onkyo.

All this talk about the (modded) SE editions is confusing me. The analog output improves, but how does this compare to HDMI output for DSD and DVD-A? I ask this because I am planning on upgrading my non HDMI receiver to one that uses HDMI, I am looking at DSD capable receivers like Yamaha and Marantz (to go with my Tannoy Arenas, does any body know if this is a nice combo?). But if analog output sounds better than HDMI, I may go for the new Cambridge, that does not receive DSD over HDMI.

Maybe someone with a HDMI receiver and the Oppo can tell a bit more about this. Thanks.

Now that people have had these players for a while; I'd like to put forward a question I've had from time to time: How does the standard OPPO 83 sound compared to any of the following Denon products members might also have: Denon 2910, 3910, 2930, 3939?
If I remember, the 2910=2930 and 3910=3939 as far as the audio design goes. Video is better on the x930 series so that would be a bonus. But I'm more looking at the audio equation.

I have a Denon 2910, but have been on the lookout for a backup player. My criteria has been to get one of equal or better performance than the 2910. So I've been turning down deals on $40 players and even returned a Denon 1940 once. My dilemma has been to either continue saving for the OPPO (I do already have one bluray player), or go ahead and spend the ~$200 now when the next good deal comes thru for a non-bluray player.

Now that people have had these players for a while; I'd like to put forward a question I've had from time to time: How does the standard OPPO 83 sound compared to any of the following Denon products members might also have: Denon 2910, 3910, 2930, 3939?
If I remember, the 2910=2930 and 3910=3939 as far as the audio design goes. Video is better on the x930 series so that would be a bonus. But I'm more looking at the audio equation.

I have a Denon 2910, but have been on the lookout for a backup player. My criteria has been to get one of equal or better performance than the 2910. So I've been turning down deals on $40 players and even returned a Denon 1940 once. My dilemma has been to either continue saving for the OPPO (I do already have one bluray player), or go ahead and spend the ~$200 now when the next good deal comes thru for a non-bluray player.

I had a 3910, totally stock, and think it sounded better using analog outs as compared to the Oppo which I now own. Fairly subjective, as I did not do an A-B comparison (had to unplug one and plug in the other). I did leave the 3910 hooked up for a while and used the oppo via HDMI. Then I thought the Oppo sounded cleaner, while the denon sounded warmer. Of course, that might just be the receiver. Anyway, I felt overall the HDMI out via the Oppo was maybe a little better than the analog out from the denon. Certainly sounded different. I sold the denon, as I am moving to Italy and have converted all my components to dual voltage. Otherwise I would have kept it, it was such a solid beast. Seen a lot of 3910s on ebay selling in the $200-300 range lately. I got a bit more for mine - it was mint...

As for the Oppo, no other player seems able to do so many things right like it can. Jon - Please add me to the list as another happy Oppo BDP-83 owner

Bought a 3910 here on E-bay for $400 US. Manual and Remote included. Was using the Oppo 980H though not the BDP-83.

I had a 3910, totally stock, and think it sounded better using analog outs as compared to the Oppo which I now own. Fairly subjective, as I did not do an A-B comparison (had to unplug one and plug in the other).

Then I thought the Oppo sounded cleaner, while the denon sounded warmer.

I agree. Was using the Oppo 980H via anaiog. The 3910 opened every thing up nicely via analog. The music just had a lot more space. Quite noticable especially with 2CH SACD and CD. Nice detailed silky sound. Warmer.

The 3910 is pretty slow and has it quirks but sounds so much more open and real. The Oppo 980H of course out does the Denon in its functionality.

So now I have a Oppo, Marantz and Pioneer as back up and to be used in that order provided they still fire up.

Well, I have a Denon 3910 that I used with my 5.1 setup until I got the Oppo (now it's playing CDs and SACDs on my stereo-only system in the bedroom).
However, I cannot really compare them because I had the Denon hooked up via analogue connection to my Onkyo PR-SC886 pre-processor, and I'm using the digital HDMI connection for the Oppo, so I'm probably comparing the DACs of the Denon with those of the Onkyo.

However, I also found that the Denon sounded somewhat warmer for SACDs. With vocal jazz records it sounded more intimate and the voice was more present in the room. However, I found that DVD-Audio discs sound much better through the Oppo->Onkyo digital connection. I'm not sure why this is: maybe the Onkyo is just not as good in decoding the DSD format; maybe it does convert it to PCM internally first, which might cause some loss in the transformation?

BTW, music in my bedroom never sounded better ;-)

Best regards,
Oliver

Well, I have a Denon 3910 that I used with my 5.1 setup until I got the Oppo (now it's playing CDs and SACDs on my stereo-only system in the bedroom).
However, I cannot really compare them because I had the Denon hooked up via analogue connection to my Onkyo PR-SC886 pre-processor, and I'm using the digital HDMI connection for the Oppo, so I'm probably comparing the DACs of the Denon with those of the Onkyo.

However, I also found that the Denon sounded somewhat warmer for SACDs. With vocal jazz records it sounded more intimate and the voice was more present in the room. However, I found that DVD-Audio discs sound much better through the Oppo->Onkyo digital connection. I'm not sure why this is: maybe the Onkyo is just not as good in decoding the DSD format; maybe it does convert it to PCM internally first, which might cause some loss in the transformation?

BTW, music in my bedroom never sounded better ;-)

Best regards,
Oliver

Along those lines, I set my Oppo to "DSD" for SACD playback. Sounds better than when it is set to "PCM".

Thanks to the originator and contributors to this thread on the BPD-83. Sounds like the machine I've only been dreaming of. Questions - did turning the auto play off solve the one second drop outs? Is buying this now a bad idea (new version coming out perhaps?) or do you all see this player being supported and patched for years to come?

The 83 is a rock and will be for quite some time. A small company like Oppo is not going to create new models every year, especially when their current model is "all the rage".

They have announced that they will be introducing a less expensive Blu-Ray player, of which the details have yet to be announced. However, if you are interested in the DVD-A and SACD aspect of the 83, I would have to guess that these formats may not be supported in the less expensive future model.

Maybe someone here like Brian Moura or Chris Gerhard would know some more details of the 2010 Oppo player.

http://hometheater.about.com/b/2009...po-plans-new-blu-ray-disc-player-for-2010.htm

Briefly, here are some additional details gleaned from bluray.com:

comments by rmorph: "The site owner deleted posts a few times before shutting down the thread..
I have some transcripts at http://www.stabbingpixies.com under "HTR Transcripts" for anyone thats interested."

As I understand from Audioholics.. the Lexicon fails basic THX spec requirements: Lexicon didn't see fit to alter in any way the Oppo player, even to bring it inline with THX standards.
Audioholics discuss finding the same limitations on both players.

THX have now begun a cleanup of what was previously a rather wide web campaign discussing the Lexicon as the first THX blu-ray player for this reason..

The Oppo BPD-83 "SE" , on the otherhand, does make some improvements ( I can't wait for Audioholics to pull that one apart - and i hope it passes THX :-D):

Whether or not those improvements are good enough to make the spec or not, it got a bit funny when HomeTheaterReview reviewer claimed the Lexicon (BPD-83) was better than the Oppo BPD-83SE model.

THX rated the Lexicon as being THX approved: according to the technical tests, it fails basic THX readiness tests (because its an oppo) THX apparently just took the money offered by Lexicon without analysing it.

Back