Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Briefly, here are some additional details gleaned from bluray.com:

comments by rmorph: "The site owner deleted posts a few times before shutting down the thread..
I have some transcripts at http://www.stabbingpixies.com under "HTR Transcripts" for anyone thats interested."

As I understand from Audioholics.. the Lexicon fails basic THX spec requirements: Lexicon didn't see fit to alter in any way the Oppo player, even to bring it inline with THX standards.
Audioholics discuss finding the same limitations on both players.

THX have now begun a cleanup of what was previously a rather wide web campaign discussing the Lexicon as the first THX blu-ray player for this reason..

The Oppo BPD-83 "SE" , on the other hand, does make some improvements ( I can't wait for Audioholics to pull that one apart - and i hope it passes THX :-D):

Whether or not those improvements are good enough to make the spec or not, it got a bit funny when HomeTheaterReview reviewer claimed the Lexicon (BPD-83) was better than the Oppo BPD-83SE model.

THX rated the Lexicon as being THX approved: according to the technical tests, it fails basic THX readiness tests (because its an oppo) THX apparently just took the money offered by Lexicon without analysing it.

Oppo tells you what they changed in the audio circuitry between the BDP-83 and BDP-83 SE. It will be interesting to hear Lexicon's explanation of what they changed on the Oppo player before rebranding the unit.

Had anybody here had to deal much with OPPO's customer service? The little dust cover flapper door thing that covers up the fiber optic port broke off yesterday when I pulled the cable out. :( I wanted to cry ;) I tried calling OPPO this morning but I guess they don't open 'till like ten my time.

Anyway I was just curious if anybody here has had a similar problem and well how it was handled.

I'm just dreading the thought of being without my bu-ray player for a month waiting for it to get repaired... :yikes

Had anybody here had to deal much with OPPO's customer service? The little dust cover flapper door thing that covers up the fiber optic port broke off yesterday when I pulled the cable out. :( I wanted to cry ;) I tried calling OPPO this morning but I guess they don't open 'till like ten my time.

Anyway I was just curious if anybody here has had a similar problem and well how it was handled.

I'm just dreading the thought of being without my bu-ray player for a month waiting for it to get repaired... :yikes
I'd use a little electrical tape to cover it when not in use.

I'd use a little electrical tape to cover it when not in use.

Well I considered doing something like that so it tried putting the cable back in but it won't even hold it securely in place anymore. It just kinda falls right out. Anyway, I called OPPO and humbly explained what happened and they said they'd be sending out a brand new player to me today so I should be getting it around thursday and to just ship the old one back when it gets here. :smokin :smokin

Well I considered doing something like that so it tried putting the cable back in but it won't even hold it securely in place anymore. It just kinda falls right out. Anyway, I called OPPO and humbly explained what happened and they said they'd be sending out a brand new player to me today so I should be getting it around thursday and to just ship the old one back when it gets here. :smokin :smokin
Good news. But it means that you damaged more than the little flap door. I've pulled them off from some devices (accidentally) and it has not impaired use.

I've dealt with them by email, phone - and since I live near the Mountain View U.S. headquarters - there as well. I'm always impressed by the friendly and responsive Oppo team. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Here is a thread at AVSForums to report the playback issues with the BDP-83 but it should be expanded to include the BDP-80 as I don't believe there will be any difference since the issues are apparently all inherent to the MediaTek MT8520 at the heart of both players. MediaTek engineers are hopefully trying to address the issues which may or not be fixable, I don't really know. I have tried to create the issues with my equipment and for the most part, I can't. This note truncating issue is not universal with all DVD-A's is my best guess as I still haven't been able to make it happen over HDMI or analog but I haven't tried many DVD-A's yet and as I mentioned don't play discs in the manner that creates the problem often. The clicking sound between tracks wtih SACD is so far inaudible to me but I have some of the discs mentioned in this thread and will try to hear it at the precise locations described.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18106648#post18106648

Chris

Chris,
I sent Oppo several of the discs that have the truncation problem and explained to them my setup and how I was playing the discs. They were able to replicate the problems on their player as well. I have never noticed a click between tracks when playing SACD or CD but I will look into that as well.

Chris,
I sent Oppo several of the discs that have the truncation problem and explained to them my setup and how I was playing the discs. They were able to replicate the problems on their player as well. I have never noticed a click between tracks when playing SACD or CD but I will look into that as well.

Can you clip notes at the beginning of each track playing the Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" DualDisc tested as I described? My test may be flawed or the disc doesn't have the problem but I can't make it happen. I am not questioning whether or not anybody is experiencing the issue, it is a problem I hope can be addressed but I am not confident Oppo can fix it without a solution from MediaTek.

Chris

Can you clip notes at the beginning of each track playing the Bon Jovi "Slippery When Wet" DualDisc tested as I described? My test may be flawed or the disc doesn't have the problem but I can't make it happen. I am not questioning whether or not anybody is experiencing the issue, it is a problem I hope can be addressed but I am not confident Oppo can fix it without a solution from MediaTek.

Chris
Actually, using my disc, the first cut clips, however due tot he fade ins on a couple of tracks it is much harder to tell. There are a couple of other tracks that clip for sure hoiwever it may also depend on the start point of the track in relation to the first note of the song. Many of my home made discs p[lay fine because they have a little bit more at the start of each track.

Does anyone still have the last firmware update that will allow you to get the beta update via the internet? I missed it and I would really like to have that option. Thanks!

You know... I am really starting NOT to like this machine at all. Today I bought the new Madonna "Sticky & Sweet" BR. It froze twice and now I can't eject the fucking disc from the machine!! It says "Hello" in the window like it is loading but nothing happens. I have shut it off numerous times and even unplugged it but still no luck. I am really getting sick of all the little quirks that this thing has. It's almost not worth having BluRay in my system at all if this is what I have to look forward to every time I put a disc in.

You know... I am really starting NOT to like this machine at all. Today I bought the new Madonna "Sticky & Sweet" BR. It froze twice and now I can't eject the fucking disc from the machine!! It says "Hello" in the window like it is loading but nothing happens. I have shut it off numerous times and even unplugged it but still no luck. I am really getting sick of all the little quirks that this thing has. It's almost not worth having BluRay in my system at all if this is what I have to look forward to every time I put a disc in.

Perhaps the disc was too Sticky :) Sorry, I really couldn't help myself on this one.

Just kiddin', I'm holding off on this player for the time being...thanks for the heads up Bob.

Just out of curiosity, which firmware are you currently running?

Released March 29, 2010
Main Version: BDP83-50-0323B
Loader Version: BE2690 or BT0390
Sub Version: MCU83-27-0326

I have not been successful at removing the disc yet. The drawer will not open

Its beginning to look like the way to go is a Sony PS3 for blu and use a non blu oppo for everything else. What the PS3 does it does well. Reading about Bobs problems with the BDP-83 is disappointing.

You know... I am really starting NOT to like this machine at all.

Hmm, I own 2 of these BDP-83s and have recommended it to friends. I have never had a problem and still have my friends. I have not played the same discs you have, but I've played dozens of Blu-rays, DVD-As and SACDs. I wonder if you got a bad unit?

Hmm, I own 2 of these BDP-83s and have recommended it to friends. I have never had a problem and still have my friends. I have not played the same discs you have, but I've played dozens of Blu-rays, DVD-As and SACDs. I wonder if you got a bad unit?

Well I can only say, and as I have previously stated, that Oppo were able to replicate some of the same errors that I have and, while they have done several firmware updates, they have been unable to fix mine. This new Madonna disc is just another in a list of problems that I have had. Perhaps it a bad deck. I don't know. What I do know is that I am really getting tired of putzing around with this thing. I am going to email them about this most recent problem.

Back