Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Doppelbock,

Any comments on the improved sound of the new OPPO on sacd and dvda as opposed to your 970?
I have a 970 also and am wondering how much difference if any I will notice upgrading to the BDP-83

Greetings All,

I’ve been living with the Oppo BDP-83 now for three days and it amazes me. My basic system is Audio Research Tube stuff and Klipsch Heritage all around….I had been listening through a Panasonic BD-10 for DVD-A and CD and a Sony SCD-595 for SACD……I am ashamed to say that I once spent a small fortune for an early SONY flagship which did not match the sound of my present $199 SCD-595. For basic cd and DVD-A I’ve used a Technics A-10 along with a few outboard dac’s….Benchmark , Musical Fidelity and for one month I listened to a DCS Puccini SACD CD player which had a smokey, silvery, glass like, very seductive sound, but lost something when it came to brass and was priced at $12K…just a little too expensive for me I’m afraid, especially for what it did…………I ended up going back to the Panasonic BD-10 and its on board DAC’s which I found quite wonderful until now.

The OPPO’s sound is stunning. Disc after disc, whether CD, DVD-A, or SACD, sounded new to me. At first I thought what I was hearing might be a little bright, but when I listened at length to vocals I realized I was hearing something new. I would catch bass lines and instruments … reverbs, breath, and in some cases softness mixed with hot brass in a way missing in previous listening sessions. Through the OPPO, The Norah Jones CD, FEELS LIKE HOME, shines light on her breathy soft voice in contrast to its big round bass and beautifully recorded piano like never before. This CD always sounded close to hi-rez to me. Now it really takes that huge leap. There is no brightness here, rather a 3-D like sculptured, captured whisper. The Manhattan Transfer SACD album VIBRATE is silk in the round …..females voices are velvety and screechy sweet. The males have a perfect chesty rasp ……One DVD-A from AIX….SHOSTAKOVICH PIANO QUINTET….is beyond belief through the OPPO, especially the fourth movement…..I know the QQ board is not exactly a classical leaning space, but you simply must hear this recording through the OPPO or a processor of similar quality ……the string sound is all around and staggering in its realism. It is the closest to actually hearing the actual instruments in your own home. I’ve listened to this album at least 10 times……it was always sensational, but through the OPPO it is scary real. I have now been convinced that there can be huge leaps in sound quality, not just incremental improvements, through the new generation of DAC’s………..The James Taylor HOUR GLASS album is another example of crystal clarity, silk and big bass served in a way that surprised me. In cut 4, GAIA, at about 4:10 there are two magnificent drum blasts in rear right and rear left channel. Through the OPPO the drums seem to occupy a space about ten feet in diameter…in the past through my other SACD players the space was confined more or less to just around the speaker. After I heard this I had to play it again through my Sony-595 and no matter how I fooled with those rear channels I could not reproduce the sheer effortless size that I heard through the BDP-83.

This truly is a universal player with first class electronics on board….it has you in mind ….and at a fantastic price to boot. Well done OPPO! I’d also like to thank Jon for highlighting this product. I lost my hearing following a bout of Vertigo a few months back and I lived vicariously through the posts on QQ….It’s the second time my mental health was saved by this forum. My hearing has returned to normal …verified normal! How 'bout that! …and I can breathe a sigh of relief with this aural present to myself. Thanks to all who get so excited by what they hear!
Dwight

Nice write up, dwight! Glad you've recovered and can enjoy the Oppo. It truly was worth the wait, and quite a remarkable beast. I still cringe when I hear folks bitch about the price, when the original SACD and DVD-A players were far more expensive that this player.

Jon, This is a remarkable value.....The effort that went into this is mind boggling. They made the product we dreamed about.....universal hi end audio reproduction, combined with beautiful hi-def and standard def video output. I haven't even tapped the dedicated stereo outputs. Can't Wait!
Dwight

aside question.... anyone here has tried it with different region DVD or BD ? :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried using the region freeing codes from the older Oppo DVD players? Or cracking a new one? Region locking kind of defeats the purpose of having a "universal" player. BDs are a less pressing matter for me as all of the imports I want so far are region free, but I have several nonregion1 DVDs, and I imagine most other A/V fans do too. I hope someone figures out how to free this player.

Has anyone tried using the region freeing codes from the older Oppo DVD players? Or cracking a new one? Region locking kind of defeats the purpose of having a "universal" player. BDs are a less pressing matter for me as all of the imports I want so far are region free, but I have several nonregion1 DVDs, and I imagine most other A/V fans do too. I hope someone figures out how to free this player.

Universal player has nothing to do with being all-region. I have previous Oppo players and the BDP-83 and the all-region code doesn't work with the BDP-83. It would be a violation of the license to build the player to make it all-region capable and Oppo has decided not to be a legal test case. Apparently, the Blu-ray Disc Association has used much stronger language in this regard in the contracts and Oppo has also decided against violating the DVD license, which may be different this time around as well. It appears Oppo has moved into the mainstream now. The LG BH200 is all-region capable with a remote hack and the Momitsu Blu-ray player is all-region capable, again I believe requiring a simple remote hack. Of course neither of those are universal players.

All of the discussion about people being unwilling to buy the BDP-83 because unlike previous Oppo players, it honors region coding with no easy way to make it all-region has turned out to be a bunch of hooey. The player is selling as fast as Oppo can make it so far. I do believe there will be an expensive hardware modification to make it all-region capable by some third party at some point if the issue is important but of course that will void the Oppo warranty and I sure won't do it. The good news is, outside of Fox, most Blu-ray releases are not single region coded. Warner, Paramount, Universal and a couple smaller companies don't use single region coding at all. Sony and Disney use single region coding some, not often, and Fox uses it all of the time. I suspect contractual obligations require single region coding with some releases and Fox uses it based on a business decision 100% of the time.

Chris

I received mine one week ago. I was impressed with the packaging, which gave me a feeling I had indeed ordered something special. I hooked it up to my 40" XBR and an aging Yamaha receiver with analog surround. This is my first experience with blu-ray and I was in awe of the image. Even the 71 year old "The Adventures of Robin Hood" was amazing. I will certainly be buying the classic Technicolor releases. I have had no problems whatsoever in playing my handful of blu-rays, a large collection of DVD-As and SACDs and older DVDs, as well as home burned discs.

I received mine one week ago. I was impressed with the packaging, which gave me a feeling I had indeed ordered something special. I hooked it up to my 40" XBR and an aging Yamaha receiver with analog surround. This is my first experience with blu-ray and I was in awe of the image. Even the 71 year old "The Adventures of Robin Hood" was amazing. I will certainly be buying the classic Technicolor releases. I have had no problems whatsoever in playing my handful of blu-rays, a large collection of DVD-As and SACDs and older DVDs, as well as home burned discs.

Sweet! I'll add you to the owners list.

Universal player has nothing to do with being all-region.

I realize this is true in a technical sense. But if it means people have to buy a separate player player for some discs, it effectively makes it not universal. I don't expect it to play HDDVDs or CDis, but all region DVDs would have been a deal breaker for me. I need an SACD/DVDA player with at least 6.1 analog out, a Blu-Ray player with 7.1 analog out, and an all region DVD player (I'll use my external decoders for my laserdiscs for 5.1 with it). I think my best option now might be to go with an Oppo DV-980 and the cheapest 7.1 Blu-Ray I can find. But if I come across a cheap all-region player, or import an EVD player (plays all region DVDs and those ever so important 4 EVD releases), I may go ahead with the Oppo since it is a quality Blu-Ray deck.

sometimes a little bird knows a code to the universe, I've seen it before

I have not received mine yet but I was wondering if there is a difference between the left/right stereo out and the left right out that is with the multichannel outs?

I have not received mine yet but I was wondering if there is a difference between the left/right stereo out and the left right out that is with the multichannel outs?

Not sure, as I'm using HDMI only. :(

Bob, I've spent about 10 hours listening to stereo recordings through both sets of outputs and could not discern a difference; neither could another audio snoop helping me listen with a younger set of ears. The sound is simply sensational through both.
Dwight

Awesome! I am really psyched to get mine. I have two Pioneer players right now (563/578) but I have heard so many good things about Oppo, and the price is right, that I just couldn't wait any more! They really seem to listen to their customers too. A rare breed for sure!

Awesome! I am really psyched to get mine. I have two Pioneer players right now (563/578) but I have heard so many good things about Oppo, and the price is right, that I just couldn't wait any more! They really seem to listen to their customers too. A rare breed for sure!

Same here. I just bought a Denon 1940/758 at Costco a few weeks ago for $70. I might just return that and save up for the Oppo.

Any more comparisons against other DVDA/SACD players? Specifically Denon 29xx and 39xx class dvd players?

Same here. I just bought a Denon 1940/758 at Costco a few weeks ago for $70. I might just return that and save up for the Oppo.

Any more comparisons against other DVDA/SACD players? Specifically Denon 29xx and 39xx class dvd players?

I have the DVD-2910 but I have not done a direct comparison. The DVD-2910 is connected now using analog 5.1 in my secondary system and I have always been happy with it. I can say the DVD-V performance of the BDP-83 is clearly superior but until I connect the BDP-83 using the analog connections, I won't have a definitive opinion regarding that aspect. Based on the excellent performance of the BDP-83 using HDMI, I do expect an improvement over analog as well. The Denon DVD-758 at $70 is a great deal in my opinion.

Chris

New firmware released today. Here's the info from their website. Lots of DVD-Audio improvements........

Release Notes:

The major changes included in this version are:

1. Further improvement to DVD-Audio disc compatibility and navigation.

2. Fix for the issue of losing audio at certain DVD-Audio track/chapter transitions, such as "The Beatles – Love".

3. Additional on-screen audio information display for DVD-Audio: sample rate in addition to channels and format.

4. A two-tiered rotation speed control for DVD media: normal speed for DVD-Video/DVD-Audio and increased speed for AVCHD on DVD media. This change is to support the occasional peaks of bit rate required by the AVCHD programs.

5. Improved detection of 4:3 aspect ratio bonus material on Blu-ray Discs.

6. DVD subtitle quality improvement (sync subtitle to frame). Combing of film-based DVD subtitle should be eliminated.

7. Improved remote control response for SACD in fast forwarding or fast rewinding mode.

8. Adjustment to the sensitivity of the front panel EJECT and POWER buttons.

9. Improvement for handling chapter breaks on DVD. This revision passes the Microsoft WHQL DVD 3:2 Chapter PF False test.

10. Fix for the issue of not able to set a manual IP address when the network cable is connected and there is no DHCP server on the network.

11. Fix for the issue of angle icon appearing when the setup menu option "Angle Mark" is set to off.

12. Other general disc compatibility and performance improvements.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83/bdp-83-firmware-27-0601.aspx

Just found out that there are multiregion blu ray and dvd mods for the BDP-83 coming soon...which is really good news for space saving !!!

Interesting! As usual, Oppo is going all out to make their players full featured. You gotta love this company!

Just found out that there are multiregion blu ray and dvd mods for the BDP-83 coming soon...which is really good news for space saving !!!

Someone has already did the hack and it works. This "someone" purchased the BDP-83 in the Bay Area and is posting his results, in Chinese, on a Hong Kong-based audiophile forum. He also mentioned that the BDP-83 will play VCDs, a format popular in Asia but not mentioned on Oppo's website.

Disclaimer: This "someone" is NOT me since I don't own one single Oppo component.

Back