Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am pretty sure that the spec's on Blu-Ray playback do not allow anything over 480p out the analog outputs. Can anyone confirm this?
This "protection" depends on a flag that is set by the disc. The BluRay content providers promised that this "flag" (it's called Image Constraint Token or ICT) would not be set in the first 3 years of BD releases (AACS interim). Because many screens were already sold without having HDCP copy protection.
After that it will be decided whether copying HiRez video through analog would have become something to worry about. As it is now, the digital copyprotection is bypassed so easily that I wonder what they were thinking.

But, with the coming "Final AACS Content Protection Specifications" however, future BD players (licensed after 2nd quarter 2010) will always down convert analog output to 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL) (analog sunset). And a new "flag" is introduced called "Digital Only token" (discs carrying this must be clearly marked). All this has no effect on existing models.:)

source

I just bought a Denon 1940/758 at Costco a few weeks ago for $70. I might just return that and save up for the Oppo.

Any more comparisons against other DVDA/SACD players? Specifically Denon 29xx and 39xx class dvd players?

I have the DVD-2910 but I have not done a direct comparison. The DVD-2910 is connected now using analog 5.1 in my secondary system and I have always been happy with it. I can say the DVD-V performance of the BDP-83 is clearly superior but until I connect the BDP-83 using the analog connections, I won't have a definitive opinion regarding that aspect. Based on the excellent performance of the BDP-83 using HDMI, I do expect an improvement over analog as well. The Denon DVD-758 at $70 is a great deal in my opinion.

Chris

I aggree, it is a great deal. But I've decided to return the Denon DVD-758/1940 to Costco and save for the Oppo.

It will be a few days till I do. So If anyone in the Sacramento, CA area would like this Denon for $75 (cost + tax) give me a PM. Note: I will be in and out for the next two weeks, so don't worry if I don't reply right away.

Some info from Oppo, in case, like me, you need to know.....

1. The player has a bit rate counter, but it combined audio and video bitrates. You can see the combined bitrate by pressing the INFO (Display) button on the BDP-83 remote control.

2. Unfortuantely we do not support custom playlists for CD-Audio and SACD contents.

3. The BDP-83 will always decode HDCD over analog. In the current implementation HDCD is also always decoded over HDMI and digital coaxial and optical. In the future we will allow for HDCD bit streaming over HDMI and digital coaxial and optical.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 6/26/2009 9:39 AM
To: OPPO Service
Subject: BDP-83

Hi,
Just wanted to say after several weeks I am enjoying my amazing BDP-83 player's audio/video quality (for an amazing price!).
I do have three questions though:

1) Does this unit have a bit-rate meter, and if so how do I access it?

2) How do I program it to play songs on a CD (i.e.: I want to program it to pay only songs 2,7,11) ? I've gone over the manual and the remote, and can't figure it out.

3) HDCD's. I played one, and it indicated "HDCD", so I presume the analog outs are decoding it, correct? But I am connected using HDMI. Is the signal over HDMI decoded also? If not, could you provide an update to select whether the HDCD is decoded over HDMI, as my processor doesn't decode it?

Thank you very much,

3. The BDP-83 will always decode HDCD over analog. In the current implementation HDCD is also always decoded over HDMI and digital coaxial and optical.

Presumably this means that it will produce a 24-bit bitstream (20 bits used by the HDCD data and the final four always zero).

I'm curious if you (or anyone else) notice a difference. I spent some time last weekend comparing 16-bit and 24-bit extractions of HDCDs (the 24-bit versions produced by dBpoweramp's HDCD DSP) and was hard pressed to tell them apart.

I can tell you that the beta firmware does not fix the track clipping problem.

Bob,

I spent some time trying DVD-A's (and paying attention! ;))

Here's what I found on mine:

1) YES. Cannot "Fast Rewind" into a prior track on a DVD-A. It will only go as far as the beginning of the track you're in. (I never really tried this before)

2) Clipping. Well, I popped in "Homecoming", because I know all of the tunes well. I just put it in and pressed play. Lo and behold, the very first note of the guitar intro WAS clipped!! However, if I hit "Previous Track", it plays the track from the very first note. It also plays every track I skip to from the first note. Hmmmm.

Is this different from your findings?

Note: I tried to update the firmware online, but the machine says I have the latest firmware. Strange.

Not to beat the dead horse but I have only been able to get through the Young Archives Disc 0 - "EARLY YEARS (1963-1965)" and Disc 1 - "EARLY YEARS (1966-1968)" and both of these discs take minutes to both open and close a single file selection from the file drawer. Jon mentioned it is a known Oppo problem on the Disc 02 - "TOPANGA 1 (1968-1969)" but the same delays are on the first two discs and I haven't had a chance to try the other discs yet. The Play All and Track Selection outside of the file cabinet all work fine but the real 'meat' of this set, with pictures, audio clips and videos, are only found in the file cabinet. The enjoyment is diminished greatly by sitting for minutes (3 -4) waiting to open and then minutes to close a file drawer. Anyone else experiencing this same pain? I'm curious if I have a bad player or set.

Has anyone tried the Neil Young Bluray set on the Play Station 3?
I wonder if it opens any faster on it.
Waiting 3-4 minutes to open each item in the file cabinet is a deal killer for me.

Not to beat the dead horse but I have only been able to get through the Young Archives Disc 0 - "EARLY YEARS (1963-1965)" and Disc 1 - "EARLY YEARS (1966-1968)" and both of these discs take minutes to both open and close a single file selection from the file drawer. Jon mentioned it is a known Oppo problem on the Disc 02 - "TOPANGA 1 (1968-1969)" but the same delays are on the first two discs and I haven't had a chance to try the other discs yet. The Play All and Track Selection outside of the file cabinet all work fine but the real 'meat' of this set, with pictures, audio clips and videos, are only found in the file cabinet. The enjoyment is diminished greatly by sitting for minutes (3 -4) waiting to open and then minutes to close a file drawer. Anyone else experiencing this same pain? I'm curious if I have a bad player or set.

I have the same problem with my Oppo.

Hello All, and Happy 4th of July.

I have had my Oppo for a few days now. Played one SACD and a partial DVD-A so far and one full length movie.

At 1 hour and 49 minutes into the movie, it froze up. The movie stopped and did not restart until several pressings of the play, pause, rev, functions. Then it finally restarted at the top menu. It did it again at the same time once restarted. I think it may be a disc issue, and will try another movie tonight.

But, just wanted to know if anybody else has had in an issue with a movie?

Thank you.

Hello All, and Happy 4th of July.

I have had my Oppo for a few days now. Played one SACD and a partial DVD-A so far and one full length movie.

At 1 hour and 49 minutes into the movie, it froze up. The movie stopped and did not restart until several pressings of the play, pause, rev, functions. Then it finally restarted at the top menu. It did it again at the same time once restarted. I think it may be a disc issue, and will try another movie tonight.

But, just wanted to know if anybody else has had in an issue with a movie?

Thank you.

I have not had any problem like that (as far as movies I've played about 7 bluray and 3 dvd).

I have posted a few items that are not working as expected on the new Oppo and forget to mention the things that plain work right. All in all this is a great, heavy duty workhorse. I haven't had any movie (BD or SD) issues and the SACD/DVD-A/CD playback audio quality is superb. I thought I should comment for LB-V and thank tlake6659 for confirming the hopeful Oppo "work in progress" issue on the Neil Young Archives playback.

I saw that too and was a little put off. I thought that price was supposed to a special deal only for the ones who asked first, and everyone else would have to pay full price. I feel like a schlubb.

Well, I have to say I felt the same way. I thought perhaps I was getting a discount by ordering "early". Although, there was nothing noted to indicate that. The only thing was the $599 with the strike through and the $499 in red. But nothing explicit. So be it.

I have posted a few items that are not working as expected on the new Oppo and forget to mention the things that plain work right. All in all this is a great, heavy duty workhorse. I haven't had any movie (BD or SD) issues and the SACD/DVD-A/CD playback audio quality is superb. I thought I should comment for LB-V and thank tlake6659 for confirming the hopeful Oppo "work in progress" issue on the Neil Young Archives playback.

Thanks OldAsMono for putting things in perspective. The player does seem to be very good and Oppo seems to be very responsive. I am definitely enjoying the machine. Ran another 2 SACD's through it today, no problems. This is my first SACD machine (been DVD-A for a while), so it has been fun exploring my new discs from Concord. I will be watching my next movie (this is my first BluRay player as well!) in a couple of hours :sun.

Well, I have to say I felt the same way. I thought perhaps I was getting a discount by ordering "early". Although, there was nothing noted to indicate that. The only thing was the $599 with the strike through and the $499 in red. But nothing explicit. So be it.

I'll double check, but I'm sure I had an email that said if I didn't take advantage of the deal by 6/21, the price would go up to the reg. price (599).

I know these offers are legitimate marketing pressure, but they can't lie about it.

PS, I want everyone to know it's not that I think the price is unfair, it's the principle of the thing. I'm very satisfied with the product so far.

PSS--There was no mention of a better price for early adopters! My mistake :(

Last edited:
I have not had any problem like that (as far as movies I've played about 7 bluray and 3 dvd).

Haven't seen any problems like that here. The Oppo is working fine on everything I've thrown at it.

And when I was at Can Jam in LA recently, both AIX and the Smyth Research folks were using the new Oppo Blu-Ray as their player of choice for Blu-Ray and DVD Audio discs !

Okay, went through the second BD movie tonight, absolutely no problems. It must have been the disc. I also got a chance to play around with the player and listen to a few more discs. I believe my older Yamaha disc changer has been left in the dust :eek:.

The Oppo has great features and to my ears, sounds better. I really like the disc memory feature, where it will keep the current play position of up to 6 discs. When you put a disc back in, it will start playing wherever you last stopped it. Perhaps all the newer players do that, but not my old Yamaha. I really like that.

Also, the "Pure Play" function - when it is in that mode, if you press the light button on the remote, the disply on the player lights up for a moment as well. Very nice attention to detail.

I am liking this machine more each time I use it. At the same time, I am liking what I see with BluRay. Wonderful picture.

I don't have an Oppo (yet), but I've had your experience with a rented Blu-ray. No visible damage (in fact, Blu-rays seem very difficult to scratch), but the disc would reliably lock tight at exactly the same spot. A replacement sent from Netflix worked perfectly. Probably some microscopic gunk got pressed in or something.

I feel compelled to update that the BDP-83 can provide full enjoyment of the Neil Young folders if you use the next arrows while already in a folder to bounce between folders rather then backing out to the folder drawer. Had more time this long weekend to try navigating this beast of a set (that is a good thing) in more ways. The disc delay is only when you go to or from the folder file drawer itself. Playing and discovering all upfront and hidden gems are easily accessible with this method.

Back