Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone else have a problem with the hidden track Shesmovedon from PT Deadwing playing on their Oppo BDP-83. Whenever I select the track it plays Revenant.

About a week ago I sent Oppo a few of the discs that I was having problems with information on my setup. I guess they were able to replicate the problems I was having with the clipped beginnings of tracks. They sent me an email today saying that they have their engineers working on a solution.

Great response and follow-up by Oppo. I am happy I did business with them. They really seem to care about the consumer.

About a week ago I sent Oppo a few of the discs that I was having problems with information on my setup. I guess they were able to replicate the problems I was having with the clipped beginnings of tracks. They sent me an email today saying that they have their engineers working on a solution.

Great response and follow-up by Oppo. I am happy I did business with them. They really seem to care about the consumer.

Bob, that is great news in deed. This is light years in better response than Denon as I never did get a reply back from their customer service on a issue with some Dvd Audio disk problems. I am really impressed and getting more excited about my Oppo delivered(2-3 weeks).

peter

I believe that in a few weeks an AIX sampler BD will be added to the contents of the box. It's probably a nice added extra.

Last I heard, the AIX Sampler for Oppo had been delayed 3 weeks. Apparently a packaging issue (the Blu-Ray disc itself is said to be OK).
The good news is the same posting says all registered Oppo Blu-Ray owners will get the AIX Blu-Ray Sampler!

Now let's hope that is true... :)

(See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=834710&page=9 over on the AVS Forum for the details from Dr. AIX himself)

Forgive me if I'm re-posting a query here, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried David Bowie's Heathen SACD on this new player and checked if it still has the same issue the older player had (skipping after a few seconds of the first track to the 2nd/or 3rd track, I don't recall at this time)?

Thanks, GabeL

Forgive me if I'm re-posting a query here, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried David Bowie's Heathen SACD on this new player and checked if it still has the same issue the older player had (skipping after a few seconds of the first track to the 2nd/or 3rd track, I don't recall at this time)?

Thanks, GabeL

It's fixed now on the 980 so I don't see why they would let the 83 repeat the problem if it was having that issue.

OK, apparently I'm a moron then, because my copy still doesn't play correctly...I even downloaded the software update. What did I do wrong:eek:

OK, apparently I'm a moron then, because my copy still doesn't play correctly...I even downloaded the software update. What did I do wrong:eek:

Gabe, I don't know whether it works on the 83 just the 980. Sorry for the confusion. If it doesn't work on the 83 I am sure they will have it fixed quickly.

Wanted to post that I am having the exact same issues as Old As Mono with my Neil Young Archives Blu Ray on the Oppo player. I've actually ordered replacement discs but don't have much hope that this will solve the file navigation problem. Player is new, firmware is up to date. Please let me know if any solutions arise and I'll do the same.

No worries Guy, I have the 980 and I still can't get it to work...wonder why:confused:

Sorry Gabe for the stupid question but are you running Version: MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: DV980-21-1031 for your firmware? This is the one that fixes Heathen and a few others. It is still marked as "Beta" on the Oppo website but it works perfectly. Release notes are:

The following improvement is included in this version:

1. Improved SACD Error Handling

When playing certain SACDs and the player encounters an encoding error on the disc, previous firmware versions skip to the next track. This version handles the situation more gracefully - it ignores the error and continues to play the track. So far only two such SACD titles are identified - "Heathen by David Bowie" and "All the Way ... A Decade of Song by Celine Dion". Our test indicated that when the error is ignored there is no audible glitch.

Apparently there is a firmware update for July 21...(sorry if I'm behind the times). Does anyone know if that solves the Archives file cabinet issue? My problems are with the two Early Years Blu Rays as well as Topanga 1 and 3.
I did drop an e-mail to Oppo today. Overall the player is wonderful.

Maybe I'm talkin' to myself here, but to any others having Archives Blu-ray issues.....the Warners folks sent me 1 Blu-ray and 3 DVDs replacements, after not sending anything and then telling me they were sending 4 replacement Blu-rays. Kinda funny. Anyway the one replacement Blu-ray has the same problem after loading up the fresh firmware update. Oppo has told me they're having major compatibility issues with the Archives, lots of BD Java and BD Live content, apparently. I'm holding out hope that the next firmware will do the trick. Not a huge deal when you navigate with the arrows as Older Than Mono noted.

Thanks, GabeL

I can confirm that the BDP-83 does not have the playback issue with Heathen. I do have SACD disks that exhibit brief dropouts and crackles - this is unique to the BDP-83 and not resolved yet though not all users have this issue. There's also a reported playback issue with the DVD-A of Beck's Sea Change.
I suppose these issues will be fixed eventually...

Some info from Oppo, in case, like me, you need to know.....

1. The player has a bit rate counter, but it combined audio and video bitrates. You can see the combined bitrate by pressing the INFO (Display) button on the BDP-83 remote control.

2. Unfortuantely we do not support custom playlists for CD-Audio and SACD contents.

3. The BDP-83 will always decode HDCD over analog. In the current implementation HDCD is also always decoded over HDMI and digital coaxial and optical. In the future we will allow for HDCD bit streaming over HDMI and digital coaxial and optical.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri 6/26/2009 9:39 AM
To: OPPO Service
Subject: BDP-83

Hi,
Just wanted to say after several weeks I am enjoying my amazing BDP-83 player's audio/video quality (for an amazing price!).
I do have three questions though:

1) Does this unit have a bit-rate meter, and if so how do I access it?

2) How do I program it to play songs on a CD (i.e.: I want to program it to pay only songs 2,7,11) ? I've gone over the manual and the remote, and can't figure it out.

3) HDCD's. I played one, and it indicated "HDCD", so I presume the analog outs are decoding it, correct? But I am connected using HDMI. Is the signal over HDMI decoded also? If not, could you provide an update to select whether the HDCD is decoded over HDMI, as my processor doesn't decode it?

Thank you very much,

More update on HDCD:
I upgraded to the latest firmwear (BDP83-31-0620) (with NO problems).
Their website says "10. Support for bitstream output of HDCD "

So I asked:I just upgraded my firmware successfully to BDP83--31-0620. On your website it says this update has support for HDCD bitstream output (see my previous question below). I find nothing in the setup menu, nor in the latest manual download to turn on/turn off this feature. How does it work?

They responded:When the player is set to Bitstream for HDMI it will send HDCD undecoded. When HDMI is set to LPCM the player will decode and expand HDCD to a receiver which does not support HDCD decoding.

So I asked:Thanks for the quick reply, BUT I, like most people, decode all the DD & DTS codecs in the processor and need bitstream output. However, very few processors have HDCD decoding (mine neither). Can you upgrade the firmwear so you can make the selection in software to turn on the HDCD decoding in HDMI bitstream or turn it off to pass to the processor for those who do have decoding of HDDC? I, like others, don't want to have to go into the menu everytime to change to LPCM to listen to an HCDC cd, and change back again to bitstream for Dolby True HD.

And they responded:We are considering adding a discrete HDCD option, but we do not know if we will be adding this feature to our firmware enhancements.

Presumably this means that it will produce a 24-bit bitstream (20 bits used by the HDCD data and the final four always zero).

I'm curious if you (or anyone else) notice a difference. I spent some time last weekend comparing 16-bit and 24-bit extractions of HDCDs (the 24-bit versions produced by dBpoweramp's HDCD DSP) and was hard pressed to tell them apart.

Now that I kind of have the ability to turn the decoding on and off in the same player (switching from bitstream to LPCM), I was surprized that I could hear a difference. The disc I was using was a classical organ disc. and switching HDCD on made it a minute smoother, but made the organ emerge from a velvety black dead silent background! I will be checking out and looking for more HDCDs.

Does anyone else have a problem with the hidden track Shesmovedon from PT Deadwing playing on their Oppo BDP-83. Whenever I select the track it plays Revenant.

I know its getting off topic but it might be related. How do you find this "hidden track". Nothing comes up on my DVD-A menu except the 3 extra tracks. I have the OPPO 980 with the latest update.

Back