Oppo BDP-83: The Official QQ Thread [BLU-RAY/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone else have a problem with the hidden track Shesmovedon from PT Deadwing playing on their Oppo BDP-83. Whenever I select the track it plays Revenant.

I know its getting off topic but it might be related. How do you find this "hidden track". Nothing comes up on my DVD-A menu except the 3 extra tracks. I have the OPPO 980 with the latest update.

I found it recently by putting "Lightbulb Sun" in the player.:)

I do recall playing the hidden track on "Deadwing" a couple of years ago and the "Deadwing" thread might help you find the method. I will try in the BDP-83 if I can remember.

Chris

I know its getting off topic but it might be related. How do you find this "hidden track". Nothing comes up on my DVD-A menu except the 3 extra tracks. I have the OPPO 980 with the latest update.

Go to the bonus track menu, and push down on your player's remote. This should highlight the heart in the middle of the screen, and that is the hidden Shesmovedon track.

OPPO BDP-83 DIY REGION-FREE HARDWARE MODIFICATION KIT

on the bay #360175016674
any one know anything about this.
Jim
looks like the bay is not the place to get one of these players price is nuts

Go to the bonus track menu, and push down on your player's remote. This should highlight the heart in the middle of the screen, and that is the hidden Shesmovedon track.

Sorry guys, it is the extras menu and push up on the remote.

OPPO BDP-83 DIY REGION-FREE HARDWARE MODIFICATION KIT

on the bay #360175016674
any one know anything about this.
Jim
looks like the bay is not the place to get one of these players price is nuts

yes that's the hardware mod kit to make it play all regions blu ray and dvd..

there is also a software mod to do the same thing,that can be found on the net as a free download..but many people feel that a software mod can be stopped if there is a new software update for the player.....whereas the hardware mod (theoretically) shouldn't be affected by software updates from the oppo factory.

On the other hand , with regard to actually buying an Oppo blu ray player, from the oppo player sales I've seen on ebay, you could buy them from the factory and make $200 USD profit to ebay buyers ,who apparently are too lazy to go the oppo website and buy them for less..

Last edited:
Hey, I finally got my player with weird timing as it arrived one day before our family left on our one week yearly vacation at end of July. Just got back home a few days ago and have had more time to check it out and so far so good.
I was really curious if Queen ANATO Dvda layer would play properly as on my Denon setup it would pause every time it would do a page turn for the lyrics, Hurrah, finally can listen to this properly so will have to check out the other 3 or 4 disk's that did same thing(Richard Thompson,Crowded House,Queensryche). Next wanted to test out some Pal disk's and the Region 0 ones(like Genesis) play but region (1-6 of Pal or whatever like Depeche Mode) player says wrong region.
Next tried Peter Gabriel-Play Dts as my Denon would do the -30 db problem but alas this also happens on my Marantz receiver/Oppo Br so thats a disk problem with new Receivers.
Tried some burnt older quad recordings and all work great.

Finally some BR stuff tried out Neil Young Archives but need alot of time for this one. Sound is good and I knew it would only be 2 channel from all other info. Checked out Br of Elton John at 60 and Wall-E and they looked great even on my older 1080i RP Toshiba 57 inch and sound is good for these.
All in all I'm looking forward to testing out and relistening to stuff through the Oppo as it looks like a great addition and getting some newer Br titles now that I have a player to play them.

peter

As someone mentioned before, I too am experiencing a half-second audio drop out when playing the first track of a DVD-A. I also notice a different drop outs when starting SACD or DTS-CDs. Sometimes, when I start a DTS-CD, I will get three long drop outs in the first 10 seconds of playing the disc. This is quite annoying.

I am running the 0620 version of firmware. I have an Onkyo TXNR905 AV receiver and am using only the HDMI connection, which seems to be the cause of these problems. HDMI does not appear to be too music friendly.

I tried setting the HDMI controls to do all the decoding in the player, and then have tried the settings for bitstreaming/DSD to let the receiver do all the decoding. Same delay problems, no difference.

So I contacted Oppo service, and this was their reply:

"Unfortunately with digital transmissions, the time it takes to engage a new signal and handshake will result in audio truncations of the first audio track."

Not much help. So I guess I have to start experimenting with running the analog connections. I hope this does not mess up my video HDMI playback.

Last I heard, the AIX Sampler for Oppo had been delayed 3 weeks. Apparently a packaging issue (the Blu-Ray disc itself is said to be OK).
The good news is the same posting says all registered Oppo Blu-Ray owners will get the AIX Blu-Ray Sampler!

Now let's hope that is true... :)

(See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=834710&page=9 over on the AVS Forum for the details from Dr. AIX himself)

It's now September. Has anyone else gotten their AIX disc?
I know I haven't!

It's now September. Has anyone else gotten their AIX disc?
I know I haven't!

Yes, it came in the mail from Oppo just recently. I still haven't had time to pop it in the player for a spin.

Looks like mostly test tones with a few AIX tracks added for entertainment.

Have a had a bit more time using my Opp, most things are working good but have had a few quirks.

First one was when we had all my wife's family over and one of my little nephews wanted to watch Disney's Lady and the Tramp 2-Scamp's Adventure Dvd. Pop the Dvd in and choose options and when it's going all it does is play the French soundtrack only(I'm from Canada EH). No matter what I try it doesn't play the english at all. Well send kids off to other tv setup and get it playing on older toshiba Dvd player. Don't think I'll send this off to Oppo as don't think it would be worth the bother.

Latest ones on Dvda's are puzzler's.

Nightwish Dvda of Dark Passion Play doesn't come up with a menu option at all and just starts playing.
As far as I can tell its playing the Dvda layer but its weird that it wouldn't give you the option of DD or DVDA to try.
When I through the disk into computer it comes up to menu properly.

2nd problem just happened yesterday as was listening to Chicago 2 which is a long album and sorry I didn't mark done the exact times but a couple of spots in between 40-57 minute mark after a couple of the songs finish see the count on player going on but nothing is being played. I skip to next track and things move along. I had to run so didn't listen to end of Dvda but will have to try it again to see if it does same thing. As has been noted under listing for this DVDA this is a really good sounding album and is a good Dvda.

otherwise everything else is playing great so far other than starting Dvda's with mussing first couple of seconds when you first put disk in. Pressing back button and you get complete track and then it plays fine from there on in. Can't remember if there is a fix for this.

peter

Contacted Oppo about the AIX disc yesterday. They asked me where I bought mine and for my order number because they couldn't find where I bought one. After sedning them the info, they said it's on it's way.
So, if you haven't received one, and want one, you might try contacting them.

Have a had a bit more time using my Opp, most things are working good but have had a few quirks.

First one was when we had all my wife's family over and one of my little nephews wanted to watch Disney's Lady and the Tramp 2-Scamp's Adventure Dvd. Pop the Dvd in and choose options and when it's going all it does is play the French soundtrack only(I'm from Canada EH). No matter what I try it doesn't play the english at all. Well send kids off to other tv setup and get it playing on older toshiba Dvd player. Don't think I'll send this off to Oppo as don't think it would be worth the bother.

peter

I've had the opposite problem. On the Bluray of "South Pacific", while playing the spanish track, the player wil start out in spanish, but will jump back to english on it's own. I'm going to investigate further beofre contacting Oppo.

You may want to investigate which firmware you are updated to, because I had the same issues, and it was corrected with the firmware update. I think it was the firmware previous to the current "Beta" firmware update listed at OppoDigital.com.

Don't know if anybody's seen it yet, but in the new (October ) issue of Home Theater, they do a review of the mega-buck Denon universal BluRay player. The reiviewer is the same guy who reviewed the Oppo. He mentions that he bought the Oppo, and that it is his "reference". He says the video is equal to the Oppo (or almost any other BluRay). The difference is in the features, the disc load speed, and the audio. Features are "different", loading is much slower, but the MCH analog audio outs are vastly superior. Unfortunatly, he doesn't say much about the HDMI audio except thet he prefers to listen to the analog audio outs.
When all is said and done, he kinda questions why anyone would buy such a high-priced pkayer when they can have the Oppo! I believe this is a first for any reviewer!

I don't believe this has been posted here yet but Oppo announced the new BDP-83SE with upgraded analog output that also upgrades the power supply and makes the RS-232 standard. Cost is $899 BUT before you freak-out they have an upgrade for us existing owners for $299. This upgrade ONLY benefits those using the stereo and multi-channel ANALOG outputs. No benefit for HDMI output. From the site:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-83SE/blu-ray-BDP-83SE-Features.aspx

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player is an exciting upgrade based on the highly acclaimed BDP-83. Already well known for its exceptional audio and video performance, the BDP-83 is upgraded with an an all new analog audio stage and improved power supply to become the Special Edition. Designed for the discerning audio enthusiast, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition Blu-ray Disc Player delivers an exceptionally wide dynamic range, ultra low distortion, accurate sound stage and jitter-free music clarity via its dedicated stereo and 7.1ch analog audio output.

The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses the state-of-the-art Sabre32 family of Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) from ESS Technology. The Sabre32 family is known as one of the industry's highest performance audio DACs and are often found in high-end audiophile and professional equipments. The OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition uses an 8-channel Sabre Premier (ES9006) DAC chip for its 7.1 multi-channel output. The dedicated stereo output uses another 8-channel Sabre32 Ultra (ES9016) DAC chip by stacking 4 DACs for each of the Left and Right channels to achieve even greater audio performance.

Just like the BDP-83 it is based on, the OPPO BDP-83 Special Edition is a Profile 2.0 Blu-ray player featuring bit-stream and full decoding capability for high resolution audio tracks such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Designed for both home theater viewers and music listeners, it plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and standard CD with excellent video and audio performance in addition to Blu-ray Discs. For a detailed list of features, please refer to the BDP-83 Features and Specifications page.

OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.

I am thinking I need to do the upgrade but am afraid the difference in sound quality with the improved DAC's are worth the price of admission.Especially as old as these ears are becoming..thinkin I need to wait untill the last minute to get some feedback from others first .Oppo isn't giving us to much time to consider our options....

I'll let ya know. My special edition should be here next Wednesday . Sold my month old BDP-83 to a buddy, so I will get a chance to A/B them. Right now I'm just hoping there is an actual audible improvement. I was pretty damn happy with the standard model's sound. My front end is pretty decent and rather transparent. I am going to trust in Oppo, as they haven't let me down yet. Let you know ......

I am looking forward to your comments and really appreciate you taking the time to share them. Oppo has always done right by me with their value etc.. it's just that I am on my third one...(3 different models). And like I said these ears are not getttin any younger.

Back