Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 103 as well, and run two HDMI cables. But there really is no need unless your receiver will not pass 3D through to the display, then it pays to run direct from the 103 to the display if you have a 3D tv. I had the cables and thought going direct to the display might lessen the chances for degradation. If you have another HDMI cable, try that in place of the one you have to see if the issue goes away. I also use contact cleaner on occasions for the cable ends and/or the connections they plug into. HDMI can be a finicky mistress ;)

Edit: if you go to two cables, don't forget there will be a setting to change in the Oppo menu to reflect that move.

I run two HDMI cables from my Oppo 103 for audio purposes, to two separate inputs of my AV receiver (Yamaha 2050). Oppo's HDMI-1 won't handle DSD (HDMI-2 will) and HDMI 2 won't deliver 4-channel (4.0) PCM properly to the Yamaha! So depending on what I'm playing, I switch input ports on the Receiver. Weird!

Last edited:
I run two HDMI cables from my Oppo 103 for audio purposes, to two separate inputs of my AV receiver (Yamaha 2050). Oppo's HDMI-1 won't handle DSD (HDMI-2 will) and HDMI 2 won't deliver 4-channel (4.0) PCM properly to the Yamaha! So depending on what I'm playing, I switch input ports on the Receiver. Weird!

I'm discovering something similar and I think it's beyond weird. I love my oppo's but this is just confusing as hell.

For sure, you need HDMI 2 for dsd. I'm not quite sure I understand about 4 channel not being delivered to your receiver though, could you elaborate? I know the 103 shows 5.0 when a quad SACD is being played, and that is reflected by the receiver. This has been known for quite some time, but there is no information being delivered via the centre channel, so no harm no foul I've always thought. Is this the issue you're experiencing or is it something else? I know blu ray 4.0 is shown as 4 channel by my receiver, unlike SACD.

For sure, you need HDMI 2 for dsd. I'm not quite sure I understand about 4 channel not being delivered to your receiver though, could you elaborate? I know the 103 shows 5.0 when a quad SACD is being played, and that is reflected by the receiver. This has been known for quite some time, but there is no information being delivered via the centre channel, so no harm no foul I've always thought. Is this the issue you're experiencing or is it something else? I know blu ray 4.0 is shown as 4 channel by my receiver, unlike SACD.

Observed: Using Oppo 103 HDMI-2 output, a 4.0 ch PCM output appears as 2.0 ch PCM as seen at AV receiver (Yamaha A2050).

Expected behavior: AVR should see 4.0 PCM from Oppo.

Further observations:
Works fine when using Oppo HDMI-1 output.
Works fine for 5.0 or 5.1 ch PCM
Works fine for 4.0 non-PCM (DTS-MA)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Connect Oppo 103 HDMI-2 to AVR.
2. Pick a media with a track that has 4.0 ch output as an option or limitation. (I used Chicago Quadio and Dark Side of the Moon bluray in my testing). Must be 4.0 ch, not 5.0 or 5.1.
3. Set Oppo 103 to output PCM. (Not needed if media limits support to 4.0 PCM only, as does DSOTM bluray)
4. Set AVR to Straight mode

Results:

Rear channels are complete missing. Yamaha Info screen says input is 2.0, not 4.0 as it should be. Oppo output screen says it is sending 4.0.

Notes: This was important to me because the DSOTM Blu-Ray is PCM only. The Alan Parsons mix is 4.0 ch. Could not hear rear channels under the defect scenario. Workaround was to use the other Oppo HDMI port, thanks to Yamaha tech support for help.

Observed: Using Oppo 103 HDMI-2 output, a 4.0 ch PCM output appears as 2.0 ch PCM as seen at AV receiver (Yamaha A2050).

Further observations:

Steps to reproduce:

2. Pick a media with a track that has 4.0 ch output as an option or limitation. (I used Chicago Quadio and Dark Side of the Moon bluray in my testing). Must be 4.0 ch, not 5.0 or 5.1.
3. Set Oppo 103 to output PCM. (Not needed if media limits support to 4.0 PCM only, as does DSOTM bluray)

Results:

Rear channels are complete missing. Yamaha Info screen says input is 2.0, not 4.0 as it should be. Oppo output screen says it is sending 4.0.

Notes: This was important to me because the DSOTM Blu-Ray is PCM only. The Alan Parsons mix is 4.0 ch. Could not hear rear channels under the defect scenario. Workaround was to use the other Oppo HDMI port, thanks to Yamaha tech support for help.

Strange. I run HDMI 2 to my Pioneer SC-61 and the quad mix on the DSOTM blu ray comes through at 4.0 PCM according to the AVR display and also what I'm hearing. Must be a weird combination of the Oppo and Yamaha.

Strange. I run HDMI 2 to my Pioneer SC-61 and the quad mix on the DSOTM blu ray comes through at 4.0 PCM according to the AVR display and also what I'm hearing. Must be a weird combination of the Oppo and Yamaha.

That makes sense, it could be a combo issue. I was surprised others had not seen it, but I'm guessing not that many people use HDMI-2, have a Yamaha AVR, and play 4.0 ch PCM. Bit of a corner case.... :mad:@:

That makes sense, it could be a combo issue. I was surprised others had not seen it, but I'm guessing not that many people use HDMI-2, have a Yamaha AVR, and play 4.0 ch PCM. Bit of a corner case.... :mad:@:

No accounting for all the weird and not so wonderful anomalies in our audio world. ;)

Further observations:

Steps to reproduce:

Results:

Wow, I thought I was the only one having problems playing true 4.0 recordings. Using an Oppo 83 and a new Marantz SR-7010 I only hear the front channels using HDMI. The receiver displays that it is a 4.0 recording but only the front channel can be heard. DSOTM in 4.0 bluray has this issue, Any 4.0 DVD-Audio or bluray has this issue. Fortunately A 4.0 recording in a 5.1 wrapper with an empty center channel works fine. So I have not had any issues with the new Chicago and Audio Fidelity SACD's or old DTS.
What is Ironic, I hookup my sons cheap samsung bluray and no problems at all.
I contacted Oppo but they just said it should not do that. All I wanted to know is will I have this problem with a new model.
So, my beloved universal player no longer plays everything.

I thought the point of the dual hdmi was that one is for audio (to the receiver) and one is for video (to the tv or projector). No?

Well, you do need to run HDMI 1 to the video display to take advantage of the Marvell video processor. Since HDMI carries both audio and video signals, many people simply use HDMI 1 for both audio and video to the receiver, then leave the receiver to the display on an HDMI out. But as sbrom pointed out, IF you want to send dsd audio to your receiver, HDMI 1 won't accomplish that and you need to use HDMI 2 strictly for the audio. If so, there is no need to run HDMI 1 to the receiver, it can go right to your display. So, if PCM is fine and you don't care to run dsd to the receiver, you can run just the one HDMI cable to the receiver on HDMI 1, then onto your display from there. Clear as mud! :ugham:

Wow, I thought I was the only one having problems playing true 4.0 recordings. Using an Oppo 83 and a new Marantz SR-7010 I only hear the front channels using HDMI. The receiver displays that it is a 4.0 recording but only the front channel can be heard. DSOTM in 4.0 bluray has this issue, Any 4.0 DVD-Audio or bluray has this issue. Fortunately A 4.0 recording in a 5.1 wrapper with an empty center channel works fine. So I have not had any issues with the new Chicago and Audio Fidelity SACD's or old DTS.
I contacted Oppo but they just said it should not do that. All I wanted to know is will I have this problem with a new model.

Have you brought this issue up at the Oppo 83 thread over at AVS? Maybe they can help...
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...dp-83-owner-s-thread-technical-talk-only.html

Yup, it was DSOTM that revealed the issue to me, trying to listen to the Alan Parson 4.0 mix. I'm lucky to have the second HDMI port of the 103 as a workaround. I wish you luck with the Oppo 83. Let us know if a solution is found.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not but might give that a try. It is great to know of another place to ask the question as the two manufacturers could not solve it.

The Oppo threads over on AVS are awesome for info, but so big they're hard to navigate, you may have to ask your question directly. Good luck! (y)

Yup, it was DSOTM that revealed the issue to me, trying to listen to the Alan Parson 4.0 mix. I'm lucky to have the second HDMI port of the 103 as a workaround. I wish you luck with the Oppo 83. Let us know if a solution is found.
Unfortunately I have a lot of home made DVDA's and that was really depressing that they would not work either. So I have to use the analogue inputs (switching is a pain under a bunch of menus) and cannot use the room correction capabilities.
I have found I prefer no room correction when listening to music so I have gotten over that anyway.

Strange. I also run an OPPO BDP-83 and never have this problem. Its the SE model, but that shouldn't matter using HDMI.

Guys.....
I have a 103D, incredibly it is 'not' multi zone for DVDs despite it claiming to play anything.
Is there a software update or a tweak that can make it multi zone for DVDs?
I understand I need some electronic update to enable it to play all BluRay regions.

Back