OPPO --DSD stream---Receiver ????????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solaris

900 Club - QQ All-Star
How many of you are using an OPPO player to feed a DSD stream to your receiver and let your receiver decode it.
How do you like it.

How many of you are using an OPPO player to feed a DSD stream to your receiver and let your receiver decode it.
How do you like it.

Even though my Yamaha RXV-1800 can handle DSD I was having some issues. If I attempted to play two SACD discs back-to-back (eject one SACD and put in another), the reciever would lose sync. I would have to change to another input and switch back or power cycle the oppo to get sound again. I switched the oppo to pcm output and the problem went away. I honestly cannot hear a difference in the sound between DSD and PCM output at the oppo.

Last edited:
I had no problems doing this with an Integra DTC-9.8, with DSD and with PCM.

Kal

I use a Denon AVP-A1HD and have a problem hearing any kind of bass when I use the DSD, so I just keep on pcm. Theres a major difference in my case. Mabye I am doing it wrong!

I could never tell any difference between pure DSD and converted to PCM over HDMI with my Oppo DV-980H and Yamaha RX-V663. Maybe with a better amplifier the difference would be apparent to me or maybe not. I didn't notice any problems with straight DSD. I also can't tell any difference with having players decode the advanced lossless codecs on Blu-ray and output PCM compared to bitstream and decoding by the RX-V663 but that is probably to be expected. The lack of any difference between conversion to PCM and DSD was a surprise based on all of the comments I had read. I also can't tell any difference between player decoding and analog output compared to a pure digital connection over HDMI but I love the single cable connection compared to up to 8 composite analog cables. Maybe I am getting too old to notice differences where others claim to be able to? I now tend to set a player to the simplest mode that works for everything and decoding and outputting PCM is becoming the preferred choice for me. I haven't tried my PS3 with SACD but all it can do is output PCM over HDMI, no bitstream of any of the high resolution lossless formats is possible.

Chris

I know some people claim to hear a difference between pure DSD and converted PCM. I have even read comments from those that prefer the sound of converted PCM over pure DSD. It might come down to the difference between the DSD docoder in the oppo vs the DSD docoder in your specific receiver. Does anyone know if the DSD-to-PCM conversion in the oppo is supposed be a true lossless transcode or not? If it is, there should not be a difference in the results.

I use a Denon AVP-A1HD and have a problem hearing any kind of bass when I use the DSD, so I just keep on pcm. Theres a major difference in my case. Mabye I am doing it wrong!
There was a bug in the early 980s that lost the .1 track with DSD output due to a flag not being recognized. Oppo said it was a problem with my Integra; Integra said it was a problem with my Oppo. An Oppo firmware update cured the problem for me. Have you done a firmware update lately?

Kal

There was a bug in the early 980s that lost the .1 track with DSD output due to a flag not being recognized. Oppo said it was a problem with my Integra; Integra said it was a problem with my Oppo. An Oppo firmware update cured the problem for me. Have you done a firmware update lately?

Kal

There was also a bug with the flags that caused 4.0 and 4.1 DVDA tracks to docode as 2.0 and 2.1 via HDMI. The last firmeware update fixed that problem too.

There was also a bug with the flags that caused 4.0 and 4.1 DVDA tracks to docode as 2.0 and 2.1 via HDMI. The last firmeware update fixed that problem too.
I guess I missed that because I play so few DVD-As and, if I do, they are mostly 5.1. I do all the updates anyway because it's so easy.

Kal

Kal

yup, got the latest one for both denon and oppo.... still no bass :(

its no biggie anyways, i just like to see the dsd light up in the denon....

yup, got the latest one for both denon and oppo.... still no bass :(

its no biggie anyways, i just like to see the dsd light up in the denon....
Is it a question of balance or are individual channels, such as LFE, missing?

Kal

Well just checked out my setup, Onkyo SR876 reciver with the OPPO 980h with the latest OS.
It's working great except a little bump when starting up in DSD, but souns great otherwise, all channels working
The dumb part for me is, I just picked up a Sony NS3100ES and I think I don't need it now.

Is it a question of balance or are individual channels, such as LFE, missing?

Kal

the lfe is'nt missing, it is just very low. very very low. even if I turn up the subwoofer channels to max, it won't produce that much bass at all. it might just be a setting in the avp, i dunno. i'll figure it out, lol.

Back