Pink Floyd 3 Disc Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the famous out of sync bootleg of AHM. The quality of these recording is amazing. However, to those intrepid converters, they are horribly out of sync.

They are not just out of sync from start to finish, they CHANGE sync during the playback. A fellow QQ member sent me his copy of this CD set to try and I gave up after 3 days and sent it back.

Neil, I am still looking for those files!! But here is the real source if you dare!

:-jon

Could they be converted to a .wav form and then re-synched using a multichannel editing program like Cool Edit Pro? Synch them back up properly, then output to DTS or 4 channel somethingerother.....

Thinks it's possible?

Q-Eight said:
Could they be converted to a .wav form and then re-synched using a multichannel editing program like Cool Edit Pro? Synch them back up properly, then output to DTS or 4 channel somethingerother.....

Thinks it's possible?
That's what I tried, using Sound Forge and Cool Edit. Cai tried it too.
What a MESS!!:mad:@: :mad:@:

What do you mean by out-of-sync?

Are these playable thru a CD-4 demodulator?
Thanks
ss9001

From what I have been told, it sounds like someone bootlegged the mastering session copies, and when they set up the second reel, the tape tension changed or something.
Thay apparently begin in sybnc, but drift by up to 2 minutes.
It apparently varies wildly from start to finish.

Am looking for copies of these to give it a go with hardware if possible.

Jon - hope you find them soon.
Not going to buy in case they are U/s in every way.
However - if someone can let me have copies, I will make them openly available if successful.

Neil,

I don't have the CDs, but I think I have the files. I have to reinstall a hard drive to look. They actually sound REAL GOOD, clear and clean. The problem is this.

(Timings used are for example only)

The stereo front wav file is 43:01 in length
The stereo rear wav file is 45:12 in length

OK, so you use Sound Forge, and time stretch the front channel to 45:12 and you are rocking! WRONG!!

Of course, it starts out fine but still gets out of sync quickly. I tried doing it track by track, stretching each one to match the other, and it still loses sync in the middle!! Very odd. Of course, if you stretch small segments, the overall file increases in time, making the other file short, then it has to be stretched.

GOOD GRIEF!!

What kind of player did they use??? :mad:@: :mad:@:

JonUrban said:
Neil,

IOf course, it starts out fine but still gets out of sync quickly. I tried doing it track by track, stretching each one to match the other, and it still loses sync in the middle!! Very odd. Of course, if you stretch small segments, the overall file increases in time, making the other file short, then it has to be stretched

Wow, sounds like the machine they recorded it on must've been having issues that day. Hard to imagine that ALL the songs lose sync, and that they still put the thing out on the market!

If I am not mistaken...

There is a feature in ProTools (and even Acid for that matter) where you can synch up two files.

Give the first (shorter) file a random tempo (say 120BPM). Now play the two files together and as the second one drifts... you change the tempo marker from the drift point and it would shrink (or speed adjust) the second file back into place.

Thats how I have done some of my dj mixes without actually having to mix one record into the next. You just match up the beats, name the tempo and you're done. Even in Acid it works pretty well especially if the two tempos are close. Oh yeah.. the pitch doesnt change when you do that either.

You can do this in Nuendo too, with a bit of care.
There's a great timestretch & mapping
It really sounds as if someone tried to bootleg this using a battery powered device, and during the second reel the juice ran out.

It's gonna be interesting attempting this, that's for sure.
Hoping a combination of al the tools I have here will help, and there's only one way to find out.

neil wilkes said:
You can do this in Nuendo too, with a bit of care.
There's a great timestretch & mapping
It really sounds as if someone tried to bootleg this using a battery powered device, and during the second reel the juice ran out.

It's gonna be interesting attempting this, that's for sure.
Hoping a combination of al the tools I have here will help, and there's only one way to find out.

Why not use SMPTE codes? If the front sound is ok, map it with smpte codes along with bar measures, then map the rear sound with the same idea. Then make the program sync the two files.

That sounds as if it should work. Assuming that the sync issue is constant, and not up/down. Given a case of drift, this might just be the key to it.
There is a SMPTE generator built into Nuendo, and is for striping a track.

Hopefully Jon will find the files........

neil wilkes said:
That sounds as if it should work. Assuming that the sync issue is constant, and not up/down. Given a case of drift, this might just be the key to it.
There is a SMPTE generator built into Nuendo, and is for striping a track.

Hopefully Jon will find the files........

Good luck Neil -it sounds as if the machine they were recorded on was having a serious off day! I hope you'll get those files though; if anyone can do it, I'm sure you can!
By the way, many thanks for the DSD information you sent me a while back -interesting how quiet (no pun intended) Sony / Philips etc have kept all that isn't it. That HF noise on encoding using 1 bit look decidedly unpleasent.

It does, doesn't it?
Sony seem to be one of the principal sponsors of this new DualDisc thing.
There was an item in High Fidelity review with a link to the rollout bash that they are having, & Sony are right up there with the sponsors.

Also, they are doing a "new improved" DSD, DxD! apparently it is even better & quieter than the last version was, not that there really was anything wrong with it! (all dirty propaganda)
Sort of reminds me of washing powder adverts "new improved DSD".

Anyway, the ultrasonic noise in DSD really does wipe out any advantages supposedly gained. Especially as it actually sounds better played through a 20KHz Linear phase LPF.
1 bit is an anomaly. Also, you cannot do anything useful to the audio in 1 bit, and it needs to be converted to 4/5 bit before any processing can be carried out - and wasn't that the whole reason for DSD in the first place, to avoid the conversions?
Besides, using a well designed 24/96 filter, the resulting quality is every bit as good, if not better, than any form of DSD/DXD or whatever they care to call it.
IMHO, the only reason it exists is because Sony/Philips want the extra revenue & do not want to pay the license fees for DVD--A/MLP, despite actually being patent holders themselves.

Greed does odd things to people, and Sony are infamous for reinventing the wheel.

Neil,

I cannot find the files. More than likely I dumped them out of frustration.

Maybe someone else here still have the discs. Anyone?

:-jon

Back