Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I think about it the more I think it has to be Atmos.

At the launch of “Spatial Audio” Apple had a roundtable with engineers and their “face” of Apple Music, Zane Lowe.

At one point one of the guests mentions “imagine Dark Side of the Moon in Spatial Audio”, and Zane says something along the lines of “I can’t wait to hear it in Spatial”.

One has to assume that Apple has a working relationship with various record conglomerates and knows what’s coming down the line/has some sway.

I'd say the spinning 3D pyramid hints toward that possibility. Has James Guthrie had any Atmos mixes released to date?
I was thinking of the ultra-surround version of "Comfortably Numb" from Live 8 done for the Their Mortal Remains exhibition, but I think that was done by Andy Jackson.

I have the standard LP stereo album, the 5.1 SACD (stained glass cover) and for some reason bought the Audio Fidelity taller box 5.1 SACD which is the same thing. That one just sits on my shelf. I have 5.1 set up in the living room and another in my bedroom. I was thinking of queuing up both at the same time for a sideways Atmos effect. LOL what do you think?

I have the standard LP stereo album, the 5.1 SACD (stained glass cover) and for some reason bought the Audio Fidelity taller box 5.1 SACD which is the same thing. That one just sits on my shelf. I have 5.1 set up in the living room and another in my bedroom. I was thinking of queuing up both at the same time for a sideways Atmos effect. LOL what do you think?
And of course put The Wizard Of Oz on the TV. ;)

Somebody on the Steve Hoffman forums speculated about an animated version of the entire album. Maybe Ian Emes has been busy?

Of course, fan-made things like that exist. Here's one synced to the Live in Wembley performance

Side one studio

Side two studio

Both studio versions are longer than the album because the band produced extended versions of "Speak to Me", "On the Run" and "Money" for live performances and these are synced to the videos. Would be another good idea to incorporate these into the album (if possible) for a "director's cut"...

Maye they will release a new box set with a DSOTM bong, pipe and rolling papers along with a new brand of PF weed. lol
Even though it's a metaphor, I'd settle for a photo of the dark side of the Moon (since we can't view most of it from Earth) as a postcard with a stamp indicating it was posted from one of the dark-side craters (there's even one called "Wright").

Question is: will it be Atmos or 360?

Good point on 360. There’s PF and Gilmour albums in RA360 on Tidal. If they do 360 only Sony need to release a RA360 decoder. The PF accountants will push Atmos of course and Waters has Atmos releases already.

I‘d be very disappointed if DSOTM gets a 3D audio release as streaming only though. I‘d want this in lossless.

Maye they will release a new box set with a DSOTM bong, pipe and rolling papers along with a new brand of PF weed. lol

1654471360267.jpeg

1654471380226.jpeg

In terms of surround sound, there's only one new thing they could offer us, and that is of course a new Dolby Atmos mix of the album.
Besides that, I can't think of much else that they could add to a 50th anniversary edition that hasn't already been released in the Immersion edition.
There's a lot else they could do though - make the 5.1 have better dynamics, include stereo versions that aren't lame, hopefully make a little box that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, forgo the scarves and marbles, so on!

The heights are used quite extensively on his TFF and King Crimson Atmos mixes.
I respectfully disagree, I am a big fan of robust tops, his Genelecs are too small for my taste. Thus the mixes lack balls overhead.
full band systems.JPG

TBS I do absolutely love his 5.1 mixes, probably my Fav because of the YES and his epic panarounds, his Atmos mixing skills overhead though are lacking big time.

Maybe its the Toy ovehead Genelecs in his studio, they should be upsized.. He needs to start dropping more the Hippopotamus.
:D
attachment.php

Back