Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK you do it

Hey Andy,

The quote was probably meant to end the conversation, but just a thought here: several artists have seen fit to release the "stems" of their multichannel recordings to allow fans to remix a track for themselves, thereby literally saying "OK, you do it." Two examples are David Bowie - Space Oddity and Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.

Would it be possible as some sort of bonus download for Pink Floyd to release the multitracks of one or more songs so that the fans actually COULD do it? If this were possible, we could easily create a poll here to vote on which track we might like to mix. Please run this up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes...

Stems to Tubular Bells?! How did I miss that?

Oh yeah I don't know if they're still 'out there' (at one point there were loads of multi's from big acts circulating, including stuff I couldn't believe had leaked like the whole MJ Thriller album, various 70s disco era Bee Gees, a lot of Queen, Bowie, you name it, so many stems had somehow escaped the studio/vaults/wherever they'd been heldnyway, among them I had TB on the old laptop but didn't manage to back it all up before the machine went tits up, so they're gawn gawn gawn now! If I find them again I'll let you know AquaMike! :upthumb

Tbh I had a play around with them for a bit and then got a bit bored, heard Tubular Balls a gazillion times and just sticking stuff over in one speaker or another or whatever didn't really inject much life into it (which isn't my experience with a lot of this surround music.. so many times it can really bring out all sorts in the music that's buried in the stereo etc., as we all here know v.well and have experience of) but then again I'm just a pleb farting around with the multi's in Audacity (back then I was doing it in GarageBand.. same personal ineptitude, different software).. I rather liked what Mike Oldfield did with it on the latest 5.1, shame it was only Dolby Digital but there you go, can't win 'em all.. and the SACD from the old Quad was interesting too.. though I turn to later albums of his really when I'm in the mood for some Mike Oldfield, they just interest me more than TB and some of those records he remixed in the last few years really shine in Surround, imho.

Anyway, sorry for the OT post everyone, back to Pink Floyd's Early Years (on which I have - uncharacteristically - nothing to waffle on about.. other than to say, I'll be picking up some of the individual sets in the new year, mainly the ones with 5.1/Quad in them, surprise surprise.. and I'm exceedingly happy for everyone who's nuts on Pink Floyd that this is happening I'm just too poor a bastard to shell out £350 quid in one fell swoop for that big ass beautiful box set!) :D

Over at stevehoffman forum some people are going nuts with specul/ation. it is a bit the same nutcasing that goes on at superdeluxeedition comment section every now and then. When a release is announced, the are always people saying something like "can not believe they left of this ultrarare version found on the cassingle from Italy. It is basically the same version as xxx but with a different 1 second fade out. HUGE mistake from the record company. Wont be buying this now"

Totally boring comments to me at least. Get over it, not every thing can be released. If PF would do so, the box would be bigger, more repetitive and more expensive. And guess what, some of the same people would be complaining about the price then, and that they will stick to their bootlegs. You cannot make everybody happy.

Last edited:
Gawd, this band went to shit when Syd went AWOL.

Hopefully your being sarcastic. None of the other members suddenly lost their skills as musicians when Syd went away. They went on to make on some extraordinary music and mostly stayed true to Syd's orgional, experimental style. Hang on to the past/roots if you must, but I can enjoy it all, with and without Syd.

Hopefully your being sarcastic. None of the other members suddenly lost their skills as musicians when Syd went away. They went on to make on some extraordinary music and mostly stayed true to Syd's orgional, experimental style. Hang on to the past/roots if you must, but I can enjoy it all, with and without Syd.

I think this is a better way to put it:
After Syd was gone from Pink Floyd, they were lost for quite some time trying to find their sound and identity without their original 'leader'.
Everything they did between "A Saucerful of Secrets" and "Meddle" was trying to find their sound and identity, and that included making some very different albums, some that work very well and some that don't.
It wasn't until "Meddle" and the song "Echoes" that they finally found a sound and identity that really worked for them, and their sound and identity reached its ultimate fruition starting with "Dark Side of the Moon" in 1973.

:)

Call me odd, but I love ALL of PF's efforts. I love Syd Barrett era, and I also love all that follows. Truly. Awesome music.

I am with you. I love it all, and this is hands down my favorite band. The creative spark permeates the work.

My taste in Pink Floyd can also be described as odd because one of my most played Floyd back in the day was Electric Moo. Sure sounds good when surrounded by a purple haze.

There is one guy in particular who posted that hes not buying the box because he knows that "someone" has a better version of the 1967 BBC session that was used. LOL.

Not buying the box because of that is, indeed, on the LOL side.

But if it's true that a better version of the BBC session exists and was not used, well, that's the opposite of LOL, isn't it?

Does anyone here know what the situation is regarding this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Andy,

The quote was probably meant to end the conversation, but just a thought here: several artists have seen fit to release the "stems" of their multichannel recordings to allow fans to remix a track for themselves, thereby literally saying "OK, you do it." Two examples are David Bowie - Space Oddity and Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.

Would it be possible as some sort of bonus download for Pink Floyd to release the multitracks of one or more songs so that the fans actually COULD do it? If this were possible, we could easily create a poll here to vote on which track we might like to mix. Please run this up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes...

Re Space Oddity, where and when did that happen? (Sorry for going off topic but just looking for a simple answer.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As per the post above, there is an assumption that PF are sitting on a vast library of old stuff. This is really everything that was available, the cupboard is bare! (this is always the point where some smartarse pops up saying that they know a guy with a bootleg that we haven't used, well should have got in contact then! Coulda made some money!, ya snooze ya lose)

The reply is assumptive/presumtive.

Sorry this Floyd fan has no" boots" in his collection, can't of course speak of other's collections.My question was specific regarding the state or condition of the multi's for their QUAD CONCERT early years.I believe a 2nd azimuth co-ordinator was in operation therefore they played in quad and wondered if they were also recorded in quad ?

Is there no usable quad concert tape, cause none exists or multi's are no longer useable ? (Specifically 69-72 because the band and label were now taking a deep interest as the ever growing fans were, and half of Electric Moo was live)-Again I have no "boots"!

I should also mention I prefer "the official product", the guarantee can't be beat.

Space Oddity tracks were offered through iTunes maybe 3 years ago? Don't recall where TB was found....

Last edited:
Back