Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never heard of rontoon. Does he really have links to the Floyd camp or is he another forum chancer? Genuine question.

He is the real deal, Mike.

Edit: As RvD said about 2 hours ago and I completely missed! Oops.. :eek:

Ps. I can tell you there are some real insiders over there, just as here they're not all forum fantasists, or at least they have some inside knowledge because a few SHF-ers have PM'd me with info (to keep to myself) which has turned out to be genuine (whether I liked the info or not, it was fact rather than fiction!) :D

Have it out with rontoon, don't shoot the messenger. Thanks!
You contributed an opinion. I gave you my counter-opinion.

Ron says something else, as you can see in the screenshot. 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC were to be included but skipped at the last moment.
But he offers no proof, other than the affirmative, "Yup!" which could indicate so many things. He does not say outright, "5.1 mixes were created, but will not be included in the box set." How is anyone to know what insider information he has? What are his credentials? To my mind, he could just as easily be indicating, "5.1 mixes were not created, and were referenced in the leaked press release by mistake. Therefore, all reference to them was removed from the later official press release, and there will be no (non-existent) 5.1 included in the box set."

You contributed an opinion. I gave you my counter-opinion.

But he offers no proof, other than the affirmative, "Yup!" which could indicate so many things. He does not say outright, "5.1 mixes were created, but will not be included in the box set." How is anyone to know what insider information he has? What are his credentials? To my mind, he could just as easily be indicating, "5.1 mixes were not created, and were referenced in the leaked press release by mistake. Therefore, all reference to them was removed from the later official press release, and there will be no (non-existent) 5.1 included in the box set."

Semantics.. I haven't got time for this.. I merely presented a screengrab, which seemed to indicate (and I'm not alone in coming to the conclusion based on what was said in that brief exchange at the SHF) that 5.1 mixes of BOC & Meddle were done and pulled at the last minute.

As I said, take it up with rontoon.

Meantime, I'll retract the "confirm" bit in my previous post that you find so problematic :)

More from good old Rontoon at SHF:

"The 5.1 mixes for OBC and Meddle were recently done and pulled at the last minute. "

Not much ambiguity there!

More from good old Rontoon at SHF:

"The 5.1 mixes for OBC and Meddle were recently done and pulled at the last minute. "

Not much ambiguity there!

When I first mentioned the two pulled releases over at SHF, the day the first pdf file came out with the track listings, Rontoon quoted me and said something like "lets stick to only the facts", so now he is saying they were done and pulled. He must have gotten other information since then to do a 180 on the subject.

You don't need any "inside information" (just some basic detective work) to realize that the original promo image was prematurely posted on the official PF site for a short period of time just a day before the official announcement. The 5.1 mixes were not only listed but featured as part of the contents. You can even see the extra disc in the current promo image for the 1972 OBFUSC/ATION box (There are 4 discs when there should only be 3 (CD/DVD/Blu-ray). I guess they figure that no one would notice and never changed this.

1972 Box.jpg

And it was Luna on the AFG forum who confirmed that the mixes were done and who did them, I just shared the info.

As to why they were pulled, that's not for me to reveal on a public forum or on Andy's thread. Whether or not anyone believes me is up to the individual. I really don't care.

Last edited:
You don't need any "inside information" (just some basic detective work) to realize that the original promo image was prematurely posted on the official PF site for a short period of time just a day before the official announcement. The 5.1 mixes were not only listed but featured as part of the contents. You can even see the extra disc in the current promo image for the 1972 OBFUSC/ATION box (There are 4 discs when there should only be 3 (CD/DVD/Blu-ray). I guess they figure that no one would notice and never changed this.

View attachment 27077

And it was Luna on the AFG forum who confirmed that the mixes were done and who did them.

As to why they were pulled, that's not for me to reveal on a public forum or on Andy's thread. Whether or not anyone believes me is up to the individual. I really don't care.

It looks like you are making the statement that you do in fact know why they were pulled. Ok. I took the box off of my to-buy list after finding that out.

Ok. I took the box off of my to-buy list after finding that out.
The 5.1 mixes were never officially advertised as being included in the box and you were okay with buying it knowing that they weren't being included in the box. Until now. Guess that'll teach 'em a lesson! :yikes

The thing that has made me hesitant about this box after finding out about the pulled surround mixes is the possibility that those mixes may be included in future releases, thus enticing me to buy not only this gigantic, extremely expensive set filled with a lot of stuff I could care less about (not a fan of Sid and don't care about posters and ticket reproductions), but also 2 more sets just to get Obscured By Clouds and Meddle in 5.1... it just feels like a big rip off...

But after going back and forth with the whole thing, I've decided to keep my pre-order and hope for more releases anyway...

"Welcome, my son... Welcome To The Machine".

The thing that has made me hesitant about this box after finding out about the pulled surround mixes is the possibility that those mixes may be included in future releases, thus enticing me to buy not only this gigantic, extremely expensive set filled with a lot of stuff I could care less about (not a fan of Sid and don't care about posters and ticket reproductions), but also 2 more sets just to get Obscured By Clouds and Meddle in 5.1... it just feels like a big rip off...

Look at it this way. The original list price dropped $150 almost immediately. If you convince yourself that this was due to the omission of the 5.1 mixes perhaps you'll feel better about it?

Pulled with no hope of seeing the light of day or pulled with the possible intent of future release?

How I dream of having the entire catalog in surround.

Back