Pioneer 563A - Bass output

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JrDickie

Hi, there.

I have a 563A connected to a VSX-D608 Pionner's receiver.

I'm experiencing a "problem" with the bass-channel when using the analog 5.1 outputs. I set the DVD to small speakers, turn the sub-woofer on but I have to put it's level to 6DB (all the others in 0DB) and turn on the SW level on the receiver to leave it balanced with the other channels.

Does anyone have the same problem? Or am I doing something wrong?

One more question: Since the distances between the speakers are set on the receiver, is it necessary to adjust it on the player also?

JrDickie

Last edited:
Yes, you still have to set the distances via the Pioneer's setup as in most cases the receiver's settings are by-passed when using the 5.1 inputs.

Most important thing to know is that the Pioneer has a 200 hz crossover for DVD-A, 120 for SACD and 100 for CD/DVD. This can contribute to a hole in bass response depending on your speakers.

Try this thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1862

BrownRB said:
Most important thing to know is that the Pioneer has a 200 hz crossover for DVD-A, 120 for SACD and 100 for CD/DVD. This can contribute to a hole in bass response depending on your speakers.

Does this crossover work even in optical connections?

JrDickie

JrDickie said:
Does this crossover work even in optical connections?

JrDickie

Well, no. When you use optical or digital coax the receiver does the bass management. But you can't listen to SACD unless you use the 5.1 analog connection, in which case the Pioneer does the BM.

BrownRB said:
But you can't listen to SACD unless you use the 5.1 analog connection, in which case the Pioneer does the BM.

I knew abaout it. I asked just because of the CD/DVD formats.

Thanx a lot for your help.

Cheers.

JrDickie said:
Hi, there.

I have a 563A connected to a VSX-D608 Pionner's receiver.

I'm experiencing a "problem" with the bass-channel when using the analog 5.1 outputs. I set the DVD to small speakers, turn the sub-woofer on but I have to put it's level to 6DB (all the others in 0DB) and turn on the SW level on the receiver to leave it balanced with the other channels.

Does anyone have the same problem? Or am I doing something wrong?

One more question: Since the distances between the speakers are set on the receiver, is it necessary to adjust it on the player also?

JrDickie

DVD-A/SACD players in genreal and the Pioneer models in particular have a history of quirks regarding setting subwoofer levels. It's not unusual to have to use a combination of the player's sub level control PLUS tweaks to the level controls on the
sub itself, or on the receiver (if it allows level control of the analog 5.1 inputs) to achieve a good balance of bass between different formats. Alterantely you can buy an outboard bass management device like the Outlaw Audio ICBM, that allow syou to treat all analog sources to the same bass management.

Having a sound pressure level meter and some reference discs helps . CHesky has one with DVD-A and Dolbu Digital test signals on it. There's an SACD one out there as well (right now the manufacter's name escapes me).

Back