Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadzilla

Exiled QQ Veteran
Since 2002/2003
On an impulse, I picked up a Pioneer Elite model DV-47Ai universal SACD/DVD-Audio player yesterday in a trade for a Bryston preamp I was no longer using. I already have a DV-45A, but unlike most people around here, I think it is a bit of a disappointment. This is totally untrue of the DV-47Ai. I love it. While I found the sound quality of the DV-45A to be downright irritating, this one is very detailed and musical. The DV-45A was so nasty in the treble range I couldn't stand to listen to it, but the new one is sweet. Just my two (Canadian) cents. I am going to move the DV-45A into my office to play CDs, and sell my DV-563A ... if anyone is interested. It is in perfect shape, with very little use, and upgraded (by Pioneer) firmware. Any SW Ontario guys interested in a trade? Mike.

Mike, I am in agreement now on the 45A. I have the Denon 1920 and I find it has a very "sweet" sound compared to the 45A. I also find the pic quality a lot better. The 45A is now my "just in case" player, should my 1920 kack out.

Glad to hear the 47Ai is good one.

Did anyone see this?

http://torontohifi.com/review49.php

Interesting

I had my hands on a 47 years ago but went with the 45A instead, thinking that the main difference was the video capabilities. My only real interest was and is audio.

I could kick myself inthe @$$:eek:

Now in search of (a 47ai):cool:

Anybody been able to compare a 47a to the Denons? I was hoping now that the 2910 has been replaced they would drop in price on eBay - no such luck. My Yamaha has been working flawlessly since being repaired nearly a year ago, but I just have this feeling that it will die one day and I want to be prepared to quickly replace it when that day comes.

=The DV-45A was so nasty in the treble range I couldn't stand to listen to it, but the new one is sweet.

I guess this also depends on the characteristics of your speakers. If anything, I find that the 45a doesn't have enough treble. This is with silk dome tweaters. Also, I am surprised that there is a difference because anything I read said that the audio sections were the same in both players but the video section was better. Do you have it hooked up digitally to a Pioneer receiver?

Yup, aluminum and silk dome definately have different characteristics.

I am using vintage Canton speakers with silk domes ... very neutral sounding speakers. Whoever believes that the two players sound the same should give them another listen.

I don't care much for the video side of it, but the 47 is definitely a better sounding player. Come on over to London and listen for yourself. I can't imagine the 45 with MORE treble. My glassware couldn't survive it. Mike.

I am using vintage Canton speakers with silk domes ... very neutral sounding speakers. Whoever believes that the two players sound the same should give them another listen.

I don't care much for the video side of it, but the 47 is definitely a better sounding player. Come on over to London and listen for yourself. I can't imagine the 45 with MORE treble. My glassware couldn't survive it. Mike.

Interesting, because I am not getting that. Maybe it is the receiver I am using or the mega $$$$ speaker wire that I am using from the 70's. Everything sounds very neutral to me.

Interesting, because I am not getting that. Maybe it is the receiver I am using or the mega $$$$ speaker wire that I am using from the 70's. Everything sounds very neutral to me.

Well, I am using a Yamaha HT receiver as a preamp-processor, using Belden interconnects to three Bryston 2B-LP power amps (for 6.1 surround) and AudioQuest Indigo speaker wire. Not real exotic by any means, but better than average.

Even Redbook CD playback is better on the 47 than on the 45, so there MUST be more to it than video performance. Don't get me wrong, when I bought my DV-45A, I WANTED it to be great! It just wasn't. If you are liking yours, then that is all that matters. Enjoy! Mike.

Most of my compliments concerning the DV45A have to do with the fact that it will play just about anything you throw at it. This is not true with some Pioneer and other brands. I was aware that the audio was somewhat shrill, but I was able to adjust that out with my tone and filter controls. I am happy with it, and will probably keep it until they come out with high def blue ray or something like that. Unless, of course, I run up on a bargain on the DV47AI. Still, I would be interested to know if it has the play all no matter what capability that the DV45A has. I might change my mind, but right now I must go for the Doors box set.

The Quadfather

Man, I'm just not getting this shrillness. Maybe the top end of my hearing has gone but my yearly hearing tests are not showing that. I don't get it. What I am hearing most of the time is a very smooth top end. Anyway, I too will keep it until some HD format is a clear winner. At that point I have to replace my receiver as well so it will be a somewhat expensive. If the HD/Blu-Ray player is not able to play SACD then I guess I will stick with the 45a. Unless of course the new equipment brings this shrillnesss out.

"Joining the DV-47Ai in the fall line-up is another ‘universal’ player, the more affordable DV-45A. Retailing for $700, the 45A will be lacking the Firewire output but will retain the ability to play both Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio discs. Its audio circuitry is on a par with that of the DV-47Ai, but video D/A is limited to 54MHz 10-bit."

HI - FIDELITY REVIEW 2002

I dug up this review from yesteryear and this is what I had understood when I was shopping for one or the other. I opted for the 45A because video did not mean much to me.

I have not listened to the 47ai, but a trip to London Ontario would sure be nice!:smokin

"Joining the DV-47Ai in the fall line-up is another ‘universal’ player, the more affordable DV-45A. Retailing for $700, the 45A will be lacking the Firewire output but will retain the ability to play both Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio discs. Its audio circuitry is on a par with that of the DV-47Ai, but video D/A is limited to 54MHz 10-bit."

HI - FIDELITY REVIEW 2002

I dug up this review from yesteryear and this is what I had understood when I was shopping for one or the other. I opted for the 45A because video did not mean much to me.

I have not listened to the 47ai, but a trip to London Ontario would sure be nice!:smokin

The audio circuitry MIGHT be "on a par" with the 47Ai, but there is much more to it than that. I know that the power supply is a lot beefier, and it seems to be better isolated from the rest of the bits. Trust me Guy, the 45A is a screamer next to the 47Ai.

Merely installing the same circuitry into something does not necessarily ensure that the two will sound the same ... in fact, it is unlikely they will unless ALL of the associated factors are identical as well. There are guys here who are a LOT more tech savvy than I am, so maybe they can chime in.

In the mean time ... Come on up! Mike.

It is not that I don't believe you.

I just wanted to explain why I was so cheap.:D

I am very interested in auditioning the 47ai if I can lay my grubby paws on one.

No, I expect that if it has the same circuitry and the same mechanism, laser, etc, it will sound the same. A larger power supply might reduce hum somewhat, but hum is undetectable now. Also shielding might play a part. What may have happened is that Pioneer may have modified the circuit to extinguish the shrillness. This may also be true of the DV45A. That would explain why some hear it and some don't. I was an early adopter of the DV45A. Later versions may have corrected it. It may be nothing more than a capacitor value was changed. Also, there could be differences in the match up to our systems. I am not displeased with my Pioneer DV45A, but I did note that I had to change some amplifier tone settings to get it sounding right.

The Quadfather

I have the DV-47A, I'm not sure if it differs much from the Ai, except that my unit lacks the i-link conection to a Pioneer i-link compatible receiver. I have been very happy with the sound reproductin of this player. I have had a couple issues with disc compatability. I think everyone had a few minor glitches depending on the discs. But the 47A has played every disc thrown at it (some with more dificulty than others) so far.

What ever happened to Pioneers plans to release a 46-A? I was thinking of getting the 46 as a back-up player, but have heard nothing about it's release for some time now. Perhaps they have abandoned this idea in favor of a universal Blu-ray player to be released later. Any ideas?

What ever happened to Pioneers plans to release a 46-A? I was thinking of getting the 46 as a back-up player, but have heard nothing about it's release for some time now. Perhaps they have abandoned this idea in favor of a universal Blu-ray player to be released later. Any ideas?

See post #2 :D

Back