Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the DV-47A, I'm not sure if it differs much from the Ai, except that my unit lacks the i-link conection to a Pioneer i-link compatible receiver. I have been very happy with the sound reproductin of this player. I have had a couple issues with disc compatability. I think everyone had a few minor glitches depending on the discs. But the 47A has played every disc thrown at it (some with more dificulty than others) so far.

I've had a 47Ai for years and love it. It's played every pressed disc I've thrown at it, including PAL ones...though that hasn't been helpful to me since it outputs those as PAL, which won't work with my TV. My only issues have been with burned DVDs: It doesn't like discs burned above 8x and it's not at all happy with DVD+R DL, which plays, but not reliably.

I've had a 47Ai for years and love it. It's played every pressed disc I've thrown at it, including PAL ones...though that hasn't been helpful to me since it outputs those as PAL, which won't work with my TV. My only issues have been with burned DVDs: It doesn't like discs burned above 8x and it's not at all happy with DVD+R DL, which plays, but not reliably.

Does yours play the Queensryche, Tribe DVD-Audio disk? My DV-45A would lock up at the sight of that one. Mike.

Does yours play the Queensryche, Tribe DVD-Audio disk? My DV-45A would lock up at the sight of that one. Mike.

I like Queensryche, but steered away from this one simply because it was a Silverline release. So I have not tried it. Surround mix issues aside, is the "Tribe" content good?

I like Queensryche, but steered away from this one simply because it was a Silverline release. So I have not tried it. Surround mix issues aside, is the "Tribe" content good?

Actually Dennis, I have Empire ... my mistake. Like you, I avoided Tribe because it was Silverline. I believe that Empire is a Universal release. I haven't played it yet because I moved recently and I am just getting around to setting up my surround sound system. My impressions of the 47Ai versus the 45A are from the (QRX-7001) quad system in my bedroom ... but I unhooked it to set up the other system. I will be finished soon, and I will let you know ... assuming it will actually play.

OK Cai ... look the other way ... nothing to see here ...

In any case, if all else fails I can always play it on my NON-DVD-Audio Sony DVD/SACD player that doesn't lock up on ANY DVD-Audio disk. Sorry Cai (and Neil), I will be good now. Mike.

Actually Dennis, I have Empire ... my mistake. Like you, I avoided Tribe because it was Silverline. I believe that Empire is a Universal release. I haven't played it yet because I moved recently and I am just getting around to setting up my surround sound system. My impressions of the 47Ai versus the 45A are from the (QRX-7001) quad system in my bedroom ... but I unhooked it to set up the other system. I will be finished soon, and I will let you know ... assuming it will actually play.

OK Cai ... look the other way ... nothing to see here ...

In any case, if all else fails I can always play it on my NON-DVD-Audio Sony DVD/SACD player that doesn't lock up on ANY DVD-Audio disk. Sorry Cai (and Neil), I will be good now. Mike.

Mike; I have "Empire", and the 47A has no troubles at all with it. I would be willing to bet your 47Ai will shine on this one as well! Lots of bass on that disc! :smokin

Mike; I have "Empire", and the 47A has no troubles at all with it. I would be willing to bet your 47Ai will shine on this one as well! Lots of bass on that disc! :smokin

Thanks Dennis. If that is the case, then it will be another good reason to upgrade from the "play everything you throw at it" 45A. I will have it all hooked up again on the weekend. Wish me luck! Mike.

I have the "Tribe" and "Geoff Tate" Silverline DVD-A's and consider both very good. I don't have "Empire" yet and have never heard it so I can't compare the two Queensryche DVD-A's for content or fidelity but I am aware that "Empire" is their best selling album. I now think Geoff Tate is a grade A rock singer but never paid any attention to him or Queensryche until I got these two discs and really knew nothing of Queensryche, having worked from the solo effort backwards. I had always assumed they were a bunch of hacks.

Chris

A friend of mine has one of these and frankly I don't notice a difference between it and the 45a from a sonic perspective. We have the same speakers as well. Probably just me. At this point it is likely wise to just hang in for HD to settle down and HDMI to have further upgrades before doing anything.

Whoops....it's the 79AVi that he has....

I've had a 47Ai for years and love it. It's played every pressed disc I've thrown at it

Dammit, I jinxed myself. I got the new Weird Al DualDisc yesterday and the Pioneer keeps aborting the playing song a few minutes in and jumping to the next one. Wondering if it was some DualDisc manufacturing issue, I made a copy (hey, I *bought* the album!) but the copy had the same problem.

An ultra-cheap Philips DVP-642 had no problem playing it. "Fortunately", it's only DD and not genuine DVD-A, so it's not really a sacrifice in this case.

Thanks Dennis. If that is the case, then it will be another good reason to upgrade from the "play everything you throw at it" 45A. I will have it all hooked up again on the weekend. Wish me luck! Mike.

Well, the DV-47Ai won't play Tribe either. What a hassle. I almost feel like trying it on my "flagship" Toshiba SD-9200 so-called DVD-Audio player. Wouldn't it be ironic if this not-much-good-for-more-than-movies-and-CDs player played it? Now, let's talk about happier things ... like SACD players. Mike.

Mike, I'm confused, are you trying to play "Tribe" or "Empire"? I just played "Empire" last week and it played fine on the 47A, no problems at all. I just looked at a picture of the 47Ai remote and for some reason they omitted the search feature. This is one great feature of the 47A, because you can bypass menu screens and go directly to the content. If I didn't have that feature, 2 of my discs would be unplayable as well. However with the search feature I can access all the content of any disc. If your Toshiba won't play it, you could have a bum disc. Best of luck!

Dennis

Mike, I'm confused, are you trying to play "Tribe" or "Empire"? I just played "Empire" last week and it played fine on the 47A, no problems at all. I just looked at a picture of the 47Ai remote and for some reason they omitted the search feature. This is one great feature of the 47A, because you can bypass menu screens and go directly to the content. If I didn't have that feature, 2 of my discs would be unplayable as well. However with the search feature I can access all the content of any disc. If your Toshiba won't play it, you could have a bum disc. Best of luck! Dennis

Sorry, it is Empire. I get confused easily at my age. On both the DV-45A and the DV-47Ai, when the disk is loading it hangs up, and you have to shut the player off to make it work properly again. Taking the Empire disk out and trying to play another disk doesn't work. I would be VERY surprised if the Toshiba will play it. It has problems with MOST disks from this century. Mike.

I'm in agreement about the 45a now as well. I bought an Oppo. It's incredible, especially at the price they wanted fot it. I wrote a short review in a new thread.

Back