Playing DVD-A and SACD through Vintage Quad Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSilverman

OK... here's another question for the experts (I can't seem to find an answer on here. The search... she ain't so-ah-great [that's supposed to be a mock Italian accent])

So I have an Oppo DVD-A player hooked up to my H/K 800+. I haven't messed with playing a DVD-A... until today. All was well for about a minute and a half, then the sound dropped out and there was a nice boom/hum sound and some feedback. I shut everything down and the receiver seems fine, but my question is....

Is it a no-no to play DVD-A and SACD through vintage gear? Maybe the old equipment can't handle the extra information contained in the signals.

There shouldn't be a compatability issue there. What inputs were you using on the reciever. As long as you were using the normal line level aux inputs (not using a phono input), it should be okay. First thing would be to try different RCA cables. When you are going along fine, and then have a dropout, that could be a bad connection somewhere. When you were cleaning the reciever, did you clean all the RCA connections? It's a good idea to clean those with electronics cleaner inside and out. Especially if those conections haen't been used regularly for a while. They can get some bad crud and oxidation buildup resulting in that sort of dropout. If you have the reciever open to clean them, also double check to make sure the wiring/circuit board connection to the jacks looks sound.

Most likely culprits: Bad/dirty RCA cables or dirty RCA jacks.

So Q8 - you too are in front of your computer all day, I see. Are you at work? Or what??

I have played CDs many times using the same cables without problem and through all four channels I was playing with the Oppo's ability to create Dolby Pro Logic music mixes before outputting to a receiver. So it's probably not the cables.

That means it could be oxidation. I'm reluctant to poke around inside, but I suppose spraying some deoxit on those inputs won't hurt anything. Wish there was a member in the L.A.- area who could come by one day and show me how to really clean this stuff. There'd be booze involved and some sheckles, perhaps.

So Q8 - you too are in front of your computer all day, I see. Are you at work? Or what??

I have played CDs many times using the same cables without problem and through all four channels I was playing with the Oppo's ability to create Dolby Pro Logic music mixes before outputting to a receiver. So it's probably not the cables.

That means it could be oxidation. I'm reluctant to poke around inside, but I suppose spraying some deoxit on those inputs won't hurt anything. Wish there was a member in the L.A.- area who could come by one day and show me how to really clean this stuff. There'd be booze involved and some sheckles, perhaps.

Yep, I'm at work.

Also, maybe when you were playing with the pro logic stuff, it somhow routed a digital signal to those outputs. That may cause it to go kablooey. I am not sure if that is possible. Usually it isn't, but I've never had an Oppo. Did this start right when you switched a mode on the Oppo or did the problem occur after a change had successfully been made in the settings?

If it happens when you make a particular setting change, for whatever reason, the receiver can't handle that. If you go back and test it again, keep the volume low till you are confidant the problem is no longer there. You can also clean the RCA jacks with some pure rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Have only had the drop out playing the DVD-A. Playing CDs hasn't been an issue even with the Pro Logic turned on (though I've decided it sounds better with the pro logic off and letting the HK or my SQD do the fake quad for me).

And glad to see that you're busy dicking around online on the company dime. I should be working on this creative pitch I'm being paid to think about, but damn... I want to mess with my audio gear. I'm at home and it's all just starring right at me, waiting to be fussed over.

Yeah, I wish I could look at your setup and see if I can figure out what is wrong.

Unfortunately there are 2,186 miles between us.

my 2 cents in, deoxit ius fantastic stuff. I had an eq slider that was cutting off the signal and all static. That stuff knocked it out. It acts as if new. You just can't belive how bad the oxidation will get inside. Worth a try, it can't hurt but clean up your pots.

I'll open it up and spritz it all down this weekend. I've looked inside this beast before and always wondered how to clean the spots you can't get to without removing some of the boards, which I won't attempt to do. I'll wind up with a dead receiver.

It should work. Make sure "Digital Out" and "Center Channel" is turned off (if only using 4 speakers) on your DVD player. Plug the 4 surround outs from the DVD player into the 4 channel Tape input.

Sometimes not all of the in/outputs of these old units will work right, so test with a CD player or other device as well to see whats going on to locate what the problem is.

Thanks. I have the center channel and subwoofer channels turned off on the DVD player menu system. SPDIF is set to "raw" and LPCM to "48k". My other options are as follows:

SPDIF can be set to "Raw" or "PCM"

LPCM Out can be set to: 48k, 96k, or 192k

There is no other "digital out" option. For cables, I'm running regular RCA cables from the multichannel outs of the DVD player into Aux 2 of my H/K quad receiver. As I mentioned above, this hasn't happened playing a regular CD through the same connections.

It should work. Make sure "Digital Out" and "Center Channel" is turned off (if only using 4 speakers) on your DVD player. Plug the 4 surround outs from the DVD player into the 4 channel Tape input.

Sometimes not all of the in/outputs of these old units will work right, so test with a CD player or other device as well to see whats going on to locate what the problem is.

also check the speaker setup. you can shut channels off in that menu.
when you use the deoxit, don't remove anything. It will clean everything inside.
I got it at RS I don't know if they have a larger size, but amazon does. It's not cheap but pretty amazing stuff.

since you use very old HK, there no any sense to tweak digital output on the player.
so, in your case schematic is simple as brick - 4 RCA analog out to 4 RCA analog in on receiver side.
OPPO just sends low voltage electric impulses, which then amplified in receiver and redirected to speakers.
as long, as player is not broken and cables don't have damage, look for the problem in receiver.
in piece of equipment, which is contemporary of dinosaurs it's can be anything, from bad connection to
faulty components in circuits.
well, i don't mean to insult any of antic gears collectors, but really, use of latest advanced sound media
through obsolete amplification, it's just a sort of perversion. even basic nowaday amps. would be huge
step above even most advanced top-notch gears from 30-40 years back in time.

Otto makes a very valid point. If it's fiscally possible, my recommendation would be a modern Denon or Marantz (same company today) or an Onkyo or Integra (same company) with your SQD-2020. Although I still have an old Marantz Quad (system #5), my main system is 2 B&K amps (250 x 5) and preamp w/SQD-2020, Sansui QS, and JVC demod. The best of both worlds. My second system is a Denon AVR-3801 (110 x7) w/SQD-2070 and a Panasonic demod. In so many ways, these modern pieces blow away even top-of-the-line Marantz & Sansui Quads. And everything other than my old analog pieces operate via remote control. I'm lazy. My Marantz RC-4 wired remote does balance, volume and loudness. I'm so lazy that my iMac, integrated into my main system, has a wireless keyboard & mouse. Sorry, vintage buffs. it's simply reality as I see it.

Having recommended, owned and sold h/k back in the vintage days, I know it intimately. I'll say that I sold thousands of h/k stereo receivers, more than any other. Admittedly, we never carried h/k Quad. h/k was the best sounding mass-marketed receiver back then. However, because they pushed the envelope at a reasonable price, it is prone to problems. I've owned four pieces of h/k, two were Citation separates. One of my best friends, my Son's Godfather, owned lots of h/k Citation and h/k Rabco turntable. Fantastic sound. All his pieces and mine had issues and needed repairs when relatively new. I still own an h/k CD 401 cassette.

Hopefully, you'll not feel I'm kicking you when you're down. Having sold hi-fi throughout the '70's Quad era and well beyond, I'm simply giving honest feedback. I hope it's not brutally honest.

A new 5.1 or 7.1 receiver will do PL II, DTS, DD and ALL the Quad formats by adding black boxes. To accommodate quad, it would require a six or eight channel analog input. New middle - top of the line receivers will blow the doors off most or all Quad gear.

I also own an H/K AVR635 from circa 2005. I run a separate SACD / DVD-A player through there along with my PS3, Xbox, iMac, etc... I just like the sound of the vintage receiver slightly better.

If it sounds good to you. And you want it set up that way. Go for it. Thats all that really matters.

Sometimes audio transends facts and figures. Sometimes it even transends good taste. Keep an open mind to suggestions and assistance, but if you are happy with it, and it sounds better to you, don't let someone shame you into doing something else.

Ha. Well, you're right. but I have two setups so I can switch between all digital and that old-timey analog sound. I really wanted to get the DVD-a playback going through the vintage stuff for some quad vinyl rips. I found this Oppo DVD-a player at a thrift shop for 10 bucks so I figured I'd put it to use in this way. I have another Oppo SACD/DVD-A player connected to my digital receiver. I also do all this cause I'm bored and have nothing better to do with my time. Sigh....

Back