Playing quad on a Denon X4500H

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mt69z28

Hi folks, I have a Denon X4500H, Audio-Technica AT-LP3, and a slew of speakers (currently running 7.4.4).
I have don't some research and I'm more confused now than I was before.

My understanding is that in order for me to be able play quad (some versions) I will need an SQ QS decoder.
For CD-4 a different stylus as well.

Where I getting confused is I don't have 4ch (FL, FR, RR, RL) input on my receiver.

My questions is, am I correct on the decoder? I found a Sansui QSD2 decoder on eBay.

Do I need any other equipment? Will my 2ch phono input work for quad?

Am I completely off base and if so what do I need to do to play quads with my system??

Thanks a ton for any help, Mike

Welcome Mike! Here's a few quick facts from a multi-Denon system owner. You're wanting to bridge two different equipment eras:

> Yes, you'd need an external decoder for SQ/QS etc. matrix records and a Shibata stylus / demodulator for CD-4 records.
> Your 2.0 stereo phono is strictly used for stereo vinyl; your unit lacks a 6 CH / 8 CH Ext Input (RCA analog jacks) to accept 4.0 outputs of external devices. These started disappearing about 10 years ago. My Denon AVR-4310 still has them (If there's a multi-channel analog to HDMI device I'm unaware of it.)

Process that and please continue. :)

Welcome Mike! Here's a few quick facts from a multi-Denon system owner. You're wanting to bridge two different equipment eras:

> Yes, you'd need an external decoder for SQ/QS etc. matrix records and a Shibata stylus / demodulator for CD-4 records.
> Your 2.0 stereo phono is strictly used for stereo vinyl; your unit lacks a 6 CH / 8 CH Ext Input (RCA analog jacks) to accept 4.0 outputs of external devices. These started disappearing about 10 years ago. My Denon AVR-4310 still has them (If there's a multi-channel analog to HDMI device I'm unaware of it.)

Process that and please continue. :)
so essentially 2 receivers. send 1/2 the signal to one and the other 1/2 to the 2nd receiver; i.e. receiver 1 has front left and right speakers wired; receiver 2 has rear left and right speakers wired to it. plug the player into the decoder then send the front signal to phono input on receiver 1 and rear to recover 2.

this sound about right?

Well... not another receiver but a 2 channel integrated amp at least. Your phono would be connected to the decoder (surround master v2 for example). the front pair (LF + RF) to the AVR-X4500H and the rear pair (LR + RR) to the second unit (amp) This leaves you with a master volume control challenge with two units.

My questions is, am I correct on the decoder? I found a Sansui QSD2 decoder on eBay.
If you're gonna throw down hard-earned cash on a decoder, I'd recommend the Involve Audio Surround Master over a vintage unit like the QSD-2. It's the only new piece of hardware that will properly decode both SQ and QS matrix-encoded quad material. I believe there is a discount for members of this forum.

A modern alternative is to listen to digitized quad FLAC files off a small hard drive. I do that with a Denon AVR-X2200 system - the HDD connected to a Sony X800 Blu Ray player then HDMI into Denon AVR.
thank you, any other recommendations for a decoder? they're sold out of the one you referenced

Well... not another receiver but a 2 channel integrated amp at least. Your phono would be connected to the decoder (surround master v2 for example). the front pair (LF + RF) to the AVR-X4500H and the rear pair (LR + RR) to the second unit (amp) This leaves you with a master volume control challenge with two units.

Everything else is pretty much software or antiques to be reconditioned. I may be selling mine, haven’t decided yet.

You have to solve managing master volume situation with two amps.

I have a wholly separate quad system with Marantz 4140 quad amp into 4 Advent Legacy. Used the SM v2 decoder to synthesize quad from stereo.

Everything else is pretty much software or antiques to be reconditioned. I may be selling mine, haven’t decided yet.

You have to solve managing master volume situation with two amps.

I have a wholly separate quad system with Marantz 4140 quad amp into 4 Advent Legacy. Used the SM v2 decoder to synthesize quad from stereo.
well, if you sell it let me know, thanks

any other decoders you would recommend as the Surround master v2 is out of stock?
The Surround Master v3, of course. It's very much the same as the v2, but also has an optical digital input. To have a single device that can decode both QS and SQ perfectly, and with very high separation, it just makes more sense than sinking money into a vintage piece, like the QSD2, which may be unrepairable if it fails. It also does a whale of a job creating surround from stereo recordings. It has to be heard to be believed.

Last edited:
If you're set on analog surround of any kind, I'd consider selling your current AVR and replacing it with one that has multichannel analog inputs. It's the simplest solution, from a certain point of view. It was this requirement that led me to my Marantz SR6014 in 2020.

Hi folks, I have a Denon X4500H, Audio-Technica AT-LP3, and a slew of speakers (currently running 7.4.4).
I have don't some research and I'm more confused now than I was before.
If you really want to get into the hobby of quad playback from the original sources, LP and 8 Track cartridges, it's going to take a fairly large investment of $ and time. You'll most likely need to replace your Denon AVR for something with multich analog inputs like most better Marantz. Then you'll need to get the correct decoders for any of the LP based codec's, correct needed cartridges, etc.
OTOH, if all you want to do is listen to music, much of the older quad recordings have been copied to modern digital sources and are available on optical discs, DVDA, BluRay, DTS-CD etc. All you'll need is a BluRay player, which you probably already have.

A codec is a hardware- or software-based process that compresses and decompresses large amounts of data. Codecs are used in applications to play and create media files for users, as well as to send media files over a network. The term is a blend of the words coder and decoder, as well as compression and decompression. ;)

Back