Please spread the word about all of this new DVD-A stuff!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Hey everyone.

We have an unusual situation going on in the surround music arena, and we need to make sure the word gets spread.

We have a new DVD-Audio from KScope, the "Nosound - Afterthoughts" release which was somewhat rooted in a thread here, we have the amazing "MUSIC VALET" company, who's first DVD-Audio release is already out there for purchase "Better than Ezra - How Does Your Garden Grow", and who's plan is to release out of print titles and remix other titles for release as DVD-Audio's, and we also have our own Neil Wilkes forthcoming project "The Vicar", about to become available as a DVD-Audio. Also, Atomhenge will release the album "Warrior on the Edge of Time" by Hawkwind as a 5.1 DVD-Audio at the end of May. That's a lot of 5.1 DVD-Audio discs appearing on the market for surround fans, as well as any more King Crimson titles that find their way out.

We should also keep in mind "Quadro-Surround", whose "Parsons Thibaud - Transcontinal Voices" is a disc more surround fans should be listening to, along with other titles in their DVD-A catalog.

Here at QQ, we will of course promote all of these titles and whatever comes out that deserves it, but it's also up to the membership to spread the word elsewhere on the web. In your internet travels, make mention of these releases at other forums that relate (SHF, AVS, Acura, HiFi, Sound and Vision, etc), and also on any social media that you use.

The more these things get promoted, the better chances become for more releases. Now's the time to take action! We've always complained that there is nothing out there being released, well now there's stuff to buy!

GO FORTH AND PROMOTE!!!! :phones

DVD-AUDIO LIVES!

Don't forget the Stick Men - Deep - CD/DVD-Audio - mixed by Neil Wilkes and BJ Cole. (y)

DVD-AUDIO LIVES!

It sure does. Jon ! Thanks to forums like yours. ( and obviously record companies you mention ) They said vinyl was dead, and look how that's been rejuvenated in recent years.
The future's promising. I see a resurgence in surround formats....

Good call Jon, 2013 is another exciting year for surround, with all these things going on.

And Quadro-Surround is mixing their first real rock dvd-a, by band called Ogre, album Plague of the Planet.

(p.s. the Nosound album is called Afterthougts, not Aftermath :) )

Already gone forth and spent - the old credit card has realised what its there for!

The nosound has arrived, waiting for the Hawkwind & Better Than Ezra.....Stick Men sounds interesting

Great post, Jon! I sensed a change in the market several months back, but much of that had it's roots in a certain Mr Wilson's projects (we have so much to be grateful to that particular genius for!) Don't forget the forthcoming ELP, XTC and Blackfield releases. It's also worth noting that Cherry Red, the label behind Atomhenge are no strangers to 5.1; the special edition of their incredible re-release of Tony Banks' "It's a Curious Feeling" had a jaw dropping 5.1 mix which sold out almost as soon as it was released.

What we may be seeing now is a broadening in support of the format. Tender new shoots and all that!

But we should be under no illusions; unless these projects are commercially successful they simply wont happen and that means we must support them, both with our wallets and (even more valuable) providing publicity, free marketing and awareness. Spreading the word.

So come one, people; use your contacts, other (non-surround) forums, your networks to spread the word. Surround is THE best way to listen to music! Tell your friends on Facebook what you're listening to and how good it is. If you're pissed off about second hand prices get in touch with the labels and let them know there's a demand for out of print titles. Anything to get the "buzz" up!

Agree 100% Jon!

Also, don't forget about the XTC "Nonsuch" DVD-A and Blu-Ray releases, plus the next 2 ELP reissues of "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery" which are also DVD-A.
I know there's more to come and I can't wait for all it (though I'm sure my wallet will really hate me eventually...) :)

It's not been confirmed yet (to my knowledge) but there's also a possibility that Rob Reed may release the next Magenta album "The 27 Club" due out at the end of August in surround. Considering the amazing job he did with Kompendium and the earlier Magenta releases this would be one to look forward to.

I'm currently in the process of mixing my amateur first album in 5.1... this should be interesting.

I'm glad to hear new releases are coming out.

Agree 100% Jon!

Also, don't forget about the XTC "Nonsuch" DVD-A and Blu-Ray releases, plus the next 2 ELP reissues of "Trilogy" and "Brain Salad Surgery" which are also DVD-A.
I know there's more to come and I can't wait for all it (though I'm sure my wallet will really hate me eventually...) :)

"You ain't seen nothin' yet...!" :p

I wonder if the new online sales tax that may be going into effect will kill off all this new stuff. It will certainly slow sales down a bit due to the high prices of SACDs, and other formats combined with high shipping fees. Add another 7% or 8% for tax and it's just too much.

I wonder if the new online sales tax that may be going into effect will kill off all this new stuff. It will certainly slow sales down a bit due to the high prices of SACDs, and other formats combined with high shipping fees. Add another 7% or 8% for tax and it's just too much.

I hope not.. :( ..but if more brick & mortars carried these discs I'd buy them there!

as it is, i'd rather buy them in a store than online.. I like to see what I'm buying (and I enjoy scouring through racks in record stores anyway.. i'm weird, i know!).. plus waiting for what could be an unpleasant surprise when the disc you ordered arrives in the mail and is either the wrong disc entirely, or got smashed up in transit (let alone customs charges etc with import online stuff) is no fun compared with getting the discs there and then in your hot little hands!

venturing out to buy records also gets me out of the house.. much-needed exercise when the rest of one's free time is spent sitting on one's sweet ass in the sweet-spot listening to sweet sweet surround music..!! :p

HEy and dont forget

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese in 5.1 (Blu ray and DVD-Video it seems) that will be available on May 21.

What about maintaining a list of recent/upcoming releases with links to buy/preorder at various global sites (amazon, burning shed, music valet, etc.)? This would a great one-stop location for people who are new to all of this to find new releases, especially the more obscure ones.

Back