Portable Quadraphonic System For Vacation?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
I was wondering what choices - if any - one could put together to bring four channel sound on vacation? Something portable, not hooked up to a car, although a multichannel car unit could be modified.

I suppose one could take 2 boom boxes and play the fronts in one box and the rears in the other using 2 different audio CDs. I doubt one could synchronize the 2 Boom boxes very well, but it might be better than nothing.

I've recently taken my computer speakers into the bedroom for a quick 5.1 fix. I just line them up on boxes and the bed around a chair. I have the Logitech Z-5500 speakers that include an amp, DD and DTS 96/24 decoding built in. I use my Pioneer 563 with RCA to stereo mini plug adapters and I'm good to go throught the 6 channel direct input. I also use the digital out from my SqueezeBox into the Logitechs to stream DTS quad conversions from my computer. The Sub is a bit big, but otherwise a pretty compact system. If you had a portable CD or DVD player with DTS support and digital output you could use that as your source for a little bit of space savings, though sacd and DVD-A would be out. I would guess (though I haven't compared) that the Klipsch 5.1 computer speakers are better - they cost more and they are made by a speaker manufacturer. But, I'm very happy with the sound quality and extremely happy with the sound field generated by the Logitechs - expecially considering the modest price. I actually have considered taking them on vacation, just haven't done it though.

I have the Logitech Z-5500 speakers that include an amp, DD and DTS 96/24 decoding built in. I use my Pioneer 563 with RCA to stereo mini plug adapters and I'm good to go throught the 6 channel direct input. I also use the digital out from my SqueezeBox into the Logitechs to stream DTS quad conversions from my computer. The Sub is a bit big, but otherwise a pretty compact system. If you had a portable CD or DVD player with DTS support and digital output you could use that as your source for a little bit of space savings, though sacd and DVD-A would be out.

This sounds like a great set-up. You could pack in a suitcase a cheap DVD player with Digital out into the Logitech Z-5500 speakers and some Quad DTS-CDs and you would have Quad in your hotel room. A small multichannel portable player might work with the speakers as well.

Logitech Z-5500 speakers:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2,CONTENTID=9486

It would be nice to have full range satellite speakers - that don't require a subwoofer or could be disconnected from the sub performing the same functions. Perhaps one could cut the subwoofer out and change the satellite speakers to "full range" to save room in one's suitcase and get a vintage 70's listening experience.

Last edited:
The Logitech Z-5500 speaker set-up seems to be the easiest option. No problem when traveling by car and setting up in a Hotel room.

I'm concerned I don't have enough room in my traveling gear for the subwoofer as I plan to fly. I'm looking for more options with the idea of great sound, keeping the price low.

I need powered computer speakers that don't cost too much - so I can cut the subwoofer out and change the speakers to full range.
Does anyone know of inexpensive powered computer speakers and small full range speakers that would work for this? Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm concerned I don't have enough room in my traveling gear for the subwoofer as I plan to fly.

No, you wouldn't want to try packing that sub for a flight. How about 2 sets of powered speakers and setting your player to no center (running in quad).

No, you wouldn't want to try packing that sub for a flight. How about 2 sets of powered speakers and setting your player to no center (running in quad).

Brilliant! That is a great idea and makes life simple. I was thinking about buying a Oppo DV-970HD, but if there's a cheaper DVD player I'd go with that (due to equipment getting bumped around while traveling).

So for around $200 you can bring DVD-A, DTS Quad and multichannel with you wherever you go!

Last edited:
Back