• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Putting my QRX-999 on eBay (SOLD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have come to the realization that at my age, I pretty much have to get rid of my cherished stuff, because when I depart the Earth, this stuff may just end up in the dump! Fact of life.

So, my pride and joy of 1976 was my Sansui QRX-999 receiver, which I bought at the Audio Exchange in Naples Italy when I was in the Navy. I carried this mother through the town, onto the launch boat, then up the fan tail of the USS Independence (my home, an Aircraft Carrier) and into my AMD shop. At 71, I look back at that feat (carrying the heavy box up the stairs of the fan tail) and can hardly believe that I actually did than myself. Ah, youth.

So, Next week I am going to list this thing on eBay but figured I'd post the info here first so you could all check it out. I haven't used it in maybe 10 years so it's time to let it go. This unit was restored back around 2002 by Quad Bob, and in that restoration he added the line in/line out connectors for the pre-amped quad audio. You can see those additional connectors on the back. I never used them so I cannot speak to them at all.

Anyway, here are some pictures for you all to check out. If you want to make me an offer, send me a PM, but honestly, I am not going to give it away. I don't want to sell it to a flipper. Letting it ride on eBay is fine with me. As for the condition, I was able to test it using headphones, as I don't have speakers to connect to it. I connected a Q8 player and listened and watched the needles. The amps are fine. All 4 channels work this way. See the recently added video I added after the pictures, and in Post #18. QRX-9001's have been selling on eBay, even in a non-functional state, for over $1000, working units for 2 or 3 times that, and this is a 999. So there you go.

The pictures are at least fun to look at! You can zoom in fairly deep as these are big files

01-QRX-Front Off.jpg
02-QRX-Front On.jpg
06-QRX-Guts Top View Full.jpg
10=QRX-Guts Caps.jpg
11-QRX-Guts Tuner Wheel.jpg
12-QRX-Guts Tuner.jpg
14-QRX-Back.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_003687.mov
    27.8 MB
I have come to the realization that at my age, I pretty much have to get rid of my cherished stuff, because when I depart the Earth, this stuff may just end up in the dump! Fact of life.

So, my pride and joy of 1976 was my Sansui QRX-999 receiver, which I bought at the Audio Exchange in Naples Italy when I was in the Navy. I carried this mother through the town, onto the launch boat, then up the fan tail of the USS Independence (my home, an Aircraft Carrier) and into my AMD shop. At 71, I look back at that feat (carrying the heavy box up the stairs of the fan tail) and can hardly believe that I actually did than myself. Ah, youth.

So, Next week I am going to list this thing on eBay but figured I'd post the info here first so you could all check it out. I haven't used it in maybe 10 years so it's time to let it go. This unit was restored back around 2002 by Quad Bob, and in that restoration he added the line in/line out connectors for the pre-amped quad audio. You can see those additional connectors on the back. I never used them so I cannot speak to them at all.

Anyway, here are some pictures for you all to check out. If you want to make me an offer, send me a PM, but honestly, I am not going to give it away. I don't want to sell it to a flipper. Letting it ride on eBay is fine with me. As for the condition, it powers up but I do not have it hooked up to anything and am not inclined to do so at this point. QRX-9001's have been selling on eBay, even in a non-functional state, for over $1000, working units for 2 or 3 times that, and this is a 999. So there you go.

The pictures are at least fun to look at! You can zoom in fairly deep as these are big files

View attachment 103544View attachment 103545View attachment 103546View attachment 103547View attachment 103548View attachment 103549View attachment 103550
Well, Jon, after sailing the high seas it looks to be in mint condition. BTW, does the built in Dolby NR also decode Dolby b QUAD Open Reels?

Well, Jon, after sailing the high seas it looks to be in mint condition. BTW, does the built in Dolby NR also decode Dolby b QUAD Open Reels?

I seem to recall the Dolby NR only did stereo. I still have the manual and the schematic and the sales brochure, so I will check it out and report back.

Jon, I am the same age and I also look back at things I used to do without even thinking about it. Now, even doing relatively easy things like carrying a turntable up or down stairs takes careful maneuvering and care to avoid falling or the perception/fear of that occurring.

I know what you mean by the pain of getting rid of cherished stuff, too. In fact, I have never been able to with maybe the exception of cars. Good luck.

Doug

Last edited:
That receiver is so cool! Sad that you want to part with it. I understand though if you aren't using it. I would though instill in my heirs the importance of not dumping my stuff! let them know that all of It is valuable not just to you but potentially to other collectors as well. As long as it goes to a good home, all is well. That being said I'm glad that you are offering it for sale here before flee-Bay!

You make me feel old worrying about what will become the stuff that you cherish. I'm not that far behind you and I'm still adding things to my collection and at a faster pace than ever. To do the reverse and start getting rid of things would be an admission that I have little time left. I'm not ready to face that reality yet!

So how does the 999 compare in the model range to the 9001? I'm not that up on Sansui receivers.

As for my stuff, I have a pair of Castle Harlech S1 large mahogany veneered floorstanding main speakers that I use every day. My heirs complain they weigh so much (they're ungainly as well as heavy) it's not fair of me to keep them because my heirs will have to pay someone to take them to the dump. They're superb speakers, they don't deserve the dump! Most pairs on flee bay are wrecked, mine are in excellent condition.

That is one beautiful piece of gear, wish I had a place for it myself. I'm in the same "boat" trying to simplify things as I age...

A bit sad that you're selling, but the good news: your Sansui, 10 years dormant, will find a new home where it can once again bring joy to listeners, sailing the seas of sonic serenity. :)

I understand what your doing, but Iam too hard headed to understand. I've had the discussion with my younger brother on my collections....LOL, as too not give away my toys. Luckily my motorcycles are new models with values he understands, he has the combo to my gun safe and I've spoke to him on my Lionels.
I guess I need to mention my Sanusi too, as I am patiently awaiting its return from QSR restore.

Best of luck to you Jon and I commend you for finding a new home for your unused Sanusi

That is a beautiful reciever and looks to be in excellent condition. It is a bit of a risk buying something that has not been tested. I have restored a number of Pioneer QX receivers in the past but never a Sansui. It is tempting those VU meters are very cool.

I am tempted by this, but I'm sure the shipping and taxes to Australia would be an extreme rip off, like every thing else here is. They don't call it Treasure Island for nothing.

I was extremely fortunate to find my 9001 (and a very good example) locally, as they come up for sale here once in a blue moon. Yet in the US, there seems to be more than a dozen listed for sale in various stages of condition at any one time. I once saw a mint one listed on ebay, even with the original box

Understandable as it is a larger market with more Sansuis originally sold there.

Just for my own curiosity, can someone tell me the difference between this 999 and my 9001. In simple terms please :ROFLMAO: , as they look similar with the exception of the color of the faceplate. Is it just the different areas of the world, but the same receiver.........

I still have to wait till mid summer for mine

I think it's the version that was sold predominantly in Europe. Apart from the black faceplate and associated trim, it's identical. As long as it has the voltage selector and the internal FM band switch, which I believe that all 999s have, it will work anywhere.

What exactly does Quad Bob's modification for the line in/line out do?

I would assume that is the preamplifier output and amplifier input. It's useful for adding additional signal processing equipment, also it enables use of the preamplifier with other amplifiers or the use of the amplifier with other input sources. In normal use the jacks would have to be patched together (outputs to inputs). With factory installs (other models) it would come already supplied with short jumpers installed.

As I recall the QRX-9001 lacks that ability as well, while other QR receivers have it.

UPDATE! I decided that I could test the amps using a Q8 player and quad headphones. I don't have speakers so I wasn't going to test it but I forgot about using headphones, so I did. After a quick consultation with QuadBob, who was gracious enough to assist by telling me that yes, I did have to jumper the pre-outs to the pre-ins, the thing fired right up! Very cool!!

(NOTE: You won't hear anything in the video because headphones are the load, not speakers)

Attachments

• IMG_003687.mov
    27.8 MB
I think it's the version that was sold predominantly in Europe. Apart from the black faceplate and associated trim, it's identical. As long as it has the voltage selector and the internal FM band switch, which I believe that all 999s have, it will work anywhere.

See above. He interrupted the audio stream and brought it out in case I wanted to add EQ or another device in the loop, something the QRX receivers did not allow for. It's actually a very convenient addition, however, you have to remember to jumper them together if you're not using them. This I forgot!!!

Just for my own curiosity, can someone tell me the difference between this 999 and my 9001. In simple terms please :ROFLMAO: , as they look similar with the exception of the color of the faceplate. Is it just the different areas of the world, but the same receiver.........

I still have to wait till mid summer for mine

I believe the only difference, besides the black face, is the power supply can be set for 110VAC or 220VAC. Mine has a sticker on the side that says 110VAC

Back