• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Putting my QRX-999 on eBay (SOLD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon - when you talk about being restored in 2002, can you put that in perspective? I mean, more or less the unit was 26 years old when it was restored. Now it's been sitting for a bit, not sure how many hours are on the new build, and maybe that doesn't impact the longevity...I have no understanding about that. Now we are about 22 years on the new build. Similar in time to when you did restore. Just curious.

Hey GOS. It means instead of the Caps being 47 years old, they're 22 years old! :) It also means that the unit has had modifications done to it that increase it's dependability going forward. I believe one of the most important things that can be done to a QRX 8001/9001/999 are the circuit board connections between boards. I honestly don't recall the details, but I am sure there are mentions about it here in the annals of QQ as well as on sites that offer restorations of these beasts

I have come to the realization that at my age, I pretty much have to get rid of my cherished stuff, because when I depart the Earth, this stuff may just end up in the dump! Fact of life.
What a beautiful old receiver !
I hear ya Jon, I'm 73 and looking at doing much of the same myself. I HATE selling off my gear, even if I don't use it. LOL. When I retired and sold my home of 33 years in Chicago, I had to get rid of so much simply because I'd never have a place for it here in FL. Now as my clock runs down there's still so much more I should be letting go, but it hurts!
Thanks also for your service and welcome home brother. I was US Army 1969-71 RVN myself. Oh the things that were so easy to do then but so hard today. At times it's a big chore to put on my socks. LOL
cent' anni.
Sal

I believe the only difference, besides the black face, is the power supply can be set for 110VAC or 220VAC. Mine has a sticker on the side that says 110VAC
I've always often wondered about the accessory power outlets on the back of internationally sold units. If a unit is sold to the UK, Europe, Australia ect., then the North American/Japan style outlets would be somewhat useless, unless supplied with some kind of adaptor cable.

Having recently purchased an Ambisonic decoder from the UK, I'm struck by just how huge those UK plugs are. I don't think that there would even be enough room for UK or european outlets to be installed on the back of any of those units. Power bars sold in those markets must be very large to accommodate those humongous plugs!

I've always often wondered about the accessory power outlets on the back of internationally sold units. If a unit is sold to the UK, Europe, Australia ect., then the North American/Japan style outlets would be somewhat useless, unless supplied with some kind of adaptor cable.

Having recently purchased an Ambisonic decoder from the UK, I'm struck by just how huge those UK plugs are. I don't think that there would even be enough room for UK or european outlets to be installed on the back of any of those units. Power bars sold in those markets must be very large to accommodate those humongous plugs!
A lot of the equipment in the UK uses 'kettle leads', haven't come across any which have additional 'kettle' sockets anymore.
1710943240068.png

A lot of the equipment in the UK uses 'kettle leads', haven't come across any which have additional 'kettle' sockets anymore.
View attachment 103642

My one & only visit to the UK many years ago I was surprised when I went into a Boots Chemist. I saw things like hand held hair dryers on display without the power cord plugs attached. Then was a display where the customer would pick out the type of plug needed and the sales person would put it on the product.

I was shocked at the lack of standardization. Is it still like this?

My one & only visit to the UK many years ago I was surprised when I went into a Boots Chemist. I saw things like hand held hair dryers on display without the power cord plugs attached. Then was a display where the customer would pick out the type of plug needed and the sales person would put it on the product.

No, most kit comes with fixed cables and plugs already attached, or kettle leads. Though when I've bought from amazon I've had stuff turn up with USA or various European plugs, and an adaptor socket-plug for the UK, all very wobbly in the wall-socket!

Your UK visit must have been a long time ago, it's been legally required for 13A plugs to be fitted for several decades. I remember being taught how to change a plug, it was a required life skill.

The reason this wasn't previously required is post WWII we switched from 3 pin plugs with round pins in 5A (small) and 15A (large) to the current 13A rectangular pins. That kind of change of all the sockets in the UK takes decades, though the Luftwaffe helped which is why the government decided to take the opportunity of post war rebuilding to change sockets.

No, most kit comes with fixed cables and plugs already attached, or kettle leads. Though when I've bought from amazon I've had stuff turn up with USA or various European plugs, and an adaptor socket-plug for the UK, all very wobbly in the wall-socket!
Why the term "kettle plug" or "kettle leads"?

The reason this wasn't previously required is post WWII we switched from 3 pin plugs with round pins in 5A (small) and 15A (large) to the current 13A rectangular pins. That kind of change of all the sockets in the UK takes decades, though the Luftwaffe helped which is why the government decided to take the opportunity of post war rebuilding to change sockets.
The size of those "kettle plugs" looks like they would be good for 30 or 40A at least!

Why didn't the UK adopt the same plug a the rest of Europe?

The size of those "kettle plugs" looks like they would be good for 30 or 40A at least!

Why didn't the UK adopt the same plug a the rest of Europe?
Because originally the rest of Europe all had different plugs. It took them decades to standardise and even then it's only 2 pin that's standard and the pins bend a little to accommodate different spacing for live and neutral holes in different countries. Earth pins still vary across much of Europe.

Originally every town in the UK had a different plug, and indeed frequency and voltage since they all had their own power station. It took a lot of effort to standardise across the UK in the 1920s and 30s, so trying to match other countries was likely a stretch too far.

And the IEC end is standard across Europe, you can get IEC leads with UK, various European and even USA plugs on the other end.

You could ask why didn't the USA adopt the same plug as Europe, or why didn't Europe adopt the same plug as the USA? Lots of reasons, including very little benefit in doing so originally because markets were more isolated and people didn't travel as much.

Why the term "kettle plug" or "kettle leads"?
Because the first place the IEC end appeared in the UK was on electric kettles. That's the "hot" version with a notch in it to signify the high temperature version, the picture @DuncanS posted is the standard version.

Attached photos are USA plug to IEC lead, and diagram of the hot version of the connector. You can't plug the standard version into an appliance that needs a hot lead, but a hot lead will go into a standard appliance.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.jpeg
    IMG_0894.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0895.png
    IMG_0895.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 0
You could ask why didn't the USA adopt the same plug as Europe, or why didn't Europe adopt the same plug as the USA? Lots of reasons, including very little benefit in doing so originally because markets were more isolated and people didn't travel as much.
You wouldn't want a piece of 120V equipment plugged into a 240V line. There actually is a plug designed for North America made for 240V. It looks the same as the 120V version but the puongs run horizontal instead of vertical.

You wouldn't want a piece of 120V equipment plugged into a 240V line. There actually is a plug designed for North America made for 240V. It looks the same as the 120V version but the puongs run horizontal instead of vertical.
And then there's the 240V heavy mains plugs for North America that you could club someone to death with...

And then there's the 240V heavy mains plugs for North America that you could club someone to death with...
Yes but they are used on heavy appliances like electric clothes dryers 30A and electric kitchen stoves 40A. Appliances that are wired in and left until they need replacement. Years ago they would have simply been direct wired.

Last edited:
Looked for the auction and have not found it. Already sold via PM?

Actually I am in pursuit of a proper box to ship it in. It's not easy to find a box for this thing. Once I have that under control I will list it and make note here. Then it will be on to other quad stuff that's got to go!

Jon I was stationed on the pacific side and did the same thing hauled a QRX-7500 all the way back to the ship in 75 all the way to the electic shop and back to the states,mine is still in sevice those things sure are built well.

My 9001, like all of them, has 2 such outlets and of course they are a US plug. I wanted to use 2 x AC Infinity USB cooling fans that only power on when the 9001 is on. So I needed a generic AC (USA plug) to USB adaptor, which was harder to find than I thought. AC Infinity had what I wanted but it was not available here unless one paid for shipping that cost even more than the adapter itself.
1000024948.jpg

Last edited:
Back