• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Putting my QRX-999 on eBay (SOLD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the suggestion of some fellow QQ'ers, I have sent an email to QRXRestore to see if I could buy a box to ship this thing in. I don't want to list it until I am sure that I can safely ship it. As you all know, it's pretty big and it really needs to be packed well to protect it from the perils of the UPS system. The last thing I want is for it to get damaged in shipping.

UPDATE: I heard from QRX Restore, although a bit late. They replied that they do have a box they sell for $85 and the shipping to CT would be $200. I might have taken that but they replied 5 days after I had emailed them and in the mean time I had purchased 10 30x24x20 boxes from ULine, which with shipping came to $220. What a nightmare.

So I took the suggestion of QuadBob, bought these boxes and went to Home Depot to buy wall insulation to put around the inside of the big box to protect the receiver which will be wrapped in bubble wrap (the big stuff). It weighs all together around 66 pounds and will be pretty pricey to ship and insure. That's another pain in the butt and wallet.

So, it goes on eBay tomorrow for $2500. We'll see how it goes. The info I took down last week showed QRX-9001 going as follows:

ON SALE NOW

9001 - $3000 works
9001 - $2999 works
9001 - $2699 allegedly works, no returns
9001 - $1499 as-is, problems
9001 - $1100 as-is, parts

PAST SALES

9001 - $3500 works, restored
9001 - $2098 works
9001 - $2000 as-is untested
9001 - $2000 unknown
9001 - $1600 as-is, issues
9001 - $1325 used
9001 - $1150 needs work
9001 - $1050 needs work
9001 - $835 - needs work

and mine is a 999, so it should be worth at least what I'm asking since it works and has been restored, even though that was 20 years ago.

We'll see how it goes. Anyway, that's the update for now. Here's a peek at the box

Box 2.jpg
Box 1.jpg

I'm surprised you don't have to double box such a large and heavy piece.

Jon you may have been better off going to a UPS store and letting them pack it. The boxing would have cost more but no shipping charges for materials. They do custom size boxing as well. And if you ship through them as well you are covered for any damage caused by inadequate packaging.

I'm surprised you don't have to double box such a large and heavy piece.

Jon you may have been better off going to a UPS store and letting them pack it. The boxing would have cost more but no shipping charges for materials. They do custom size boxing as well. And if you ship through them as well you are covered for any damage caused by inadequate packaging.
Sorry to disagree but having a UPS store pack is not a guarantee of an adequate job. I worked for a speaker parts and repair company and some
of the raw drivers we received for reconing were packed so poorly they were ruined.

Sorry to disagree but having a UPS store pack is not a guarantee of an adequate job. I worked for a speaker parts and repair company and some
of the raw drivers we received for reconing were packed so poorly they were ruined.
I'm not saying that using a UPS store guarantees an adequate packing job.

I am saying that with any deficiency in packing that causes damage (as determined by the carrier, typically UPS) the liability falls to the UPS store. This is not the case if the package suffers damage and is determined to be inadequately packed by the sender, in which case the sender is liable.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. I really don't trust anyone but me to pack this thing. It will be rock solild. This is a 200lb capacity box. It is sided with 1" insulation, 2" on the bottom. I will put more support in there (almost like a double box without the box) on the inside before I drop the beast in there. It will be well protected for sure. I certainly don't want anything to happen to it on the way.

Yeah. I sold it to a QQ member who wanted it, for a little more than I listed it for. This way I know it goes to someone who will appreciate it and not have to worry about a bad eBay buyer experience.

Sorry for the late reply. Since I shipped my 9001 across the country here is my first hand experience......
Like yourself, I had anxiety shipping my beloved equipment safely. I would have told you to call and not email vintage restore. Yes the box was $85 and shipping is a killer, but the box they built far exceeds what you posted. (Wish I took pictures) UPS charges by the size of the box, more so than weight. What I did was go to UPS.com and setup an account and printed my shipping label. Total cost was less with my receiver, taking the trip back to them, it was still $175.
Glad to hear you found a good home for your Sansui!!!

I think I'll tape my repair bill to mine when it returns, so after my death my brother won't throw it away😂

Sorry for the late reply. Since I shipped my 9001 across the country here is my first hand experience......
Like yourself, I had anxiety shipping my beloved equipment safely. I would have told you to call and not email vintage restore. Yes the box was $85 and shipping is a killer, but the box they built far exceeds what you posted. (Wish I took pictures) UPS charges by the size of the box, more so than weight. What I did was go to UPS.com and setup an account and printed my shipping label. Total cost was less with my receiver, taking the trip back to them, it was still $175.
Glad to hear you found a good home for your Sansui!!!

I think I'll tape my repair bill to mine when it returns, so after my death my brother won't throw it away😂

Thanks Bruce. In actuality, I would have bought the box and paid the shipping from QRX Restore but I did not hear back from them for 5 days and thought they blew me off. Oh well.

The receiver has been packed and shipped. What an ordeal. I cost a fortune to ship this thing when you count the stuff I had to do for the box and the $241 for the shipping. However, I am 100% confident in the packing. The 999 is 100% safe. It's not moving in that box, it's not going to be damaged if the box gets dropped or speared (for a few inches anyway). It will arrive safe and sound I am sure.

However, I do not wish the experience of packing and shipping a 999/9001 on anyone. It is an expensive and tedious ordeal for sure. I am now waiting for Friday to verify it arrived safe and sound.

Thanks Bruce. In actuality, I would have bought the box and paid the shipping from QRX Restore but I did not hear back from them for 5 days and thought they blew me off. Oh well.

The receiver has been packed and shipped. What an ordeal. I cost a fortune to ship this thing when you count the stuff I had to do for the box and the $241 for the shipping. However, I am 100% confident in the packing. The 999 is 100% safe. It's not moving in that box, it's not going to be damaged if the box gets dropped or speared (for a few inches anyway). It will arrive safe and sound I am sure.

However, I do not wish the experience of packing and shipping a 999/9001 on anyone. It is an expensive and tedious ordeal for sure. I am now waiting for Friday to verify it arrived safe and sound.
Yes, they are behind answering emails. They have hired a new girl to handle the front office as it is a small business.
When I order the box, she told me they would send an email letting me know my 9001 arrived safe.
Tracking showed it arrived on a Friday, so I waited over the weekend for a reply. By Monday I was a nervous wreck thinking it was destroyed/damaged. I called Tuesday and no answer and it went to voice mail....LOL, Yeah I was sure now......I know they have caller ID because Chrystalyn answered, Hello Bruce, last time I called.
I called Wednesday, finally got an answer and was told they recieved it safe and sound. Was told their shipping guy was out sick and I slipped thru a crack..... WHEW!!!!!
2 days later I received an email from their tech describing its condition, so Iam in their system and it's being stripped down. Everything good now, but it was a rough ride getting here.
Now the only drawback, is the price you listed from Ebay, for a fully restored 9001 is what mine will be costing.
But mine has alot of killer memories.....

Have a good one brother

I’ve thought that several times, and it wasn’t exactly true. But I hope you’re right.

Back