Steven Wilson Q&A: Steven Wilson on future tour plans, remixing The Grateful Dead in Dolby Atmos, and more! (IAA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great interview @sjcorne , I really enjoyed it. A lot of these interviews with guys like SW by other people are frustrating from the POV of people who enjoy surround, because they'll just get to the point where they're hitting on something interesting or revelatory and then move on to something else. But you're like Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Inception - "we need to go deeper" and I, for one, am here for it.

Also glad to hear the non-confirmation confirmation that Suede's Dog Man Star is most likely coming this year. While I'm always a "surround is most important" kind of guy, I think that new mixes that provide a big leap in sonic quality (Klingberg's Chicago II, Guthrie's Animals, and several of SW's mixes including the first Suede album) are almost as important from a cultural legacy standpoint.

A lot of these interviews with guys like SW by other people are frustrating from the POV of people who enjoy surround, because they'll just get to the point where they're hitting on something interesting or revelatory and then move on to something else.
+1 LOL.
In the March 2024 issue of Stereophile , Mike Mettler wrote a 4 page interview with Steven. But never
a word that he had listened to even a single cut from any of his work. Not 2, 5.1 or Atmos. :(

Jonathan-fantastic article, loved your interview with Steven.

As per guess what unreleased Trevor Horn produced that Steven has done.

I guess if it is not Yes 90125 then Big Generator would be ruled out as well.
I loved original Yes and didn't like these 2 albums when they first came out but like them more now.

Simple Minds-Street Fighting Years. Could be this one as I think there is a unreleased(not sure who did it) but the band said a surround was done. Steven Wilson must be a fan as he did Simple Minds-Sparkle in the Rain in 5.1 so could it be Street Fighting Years

Ronald Prent? He did the 5.1's of Once Upon A Time and New Gold Dream.
Jonathan, you are correct. Ronald Prent did those 2 releases in 5.1 in early 2000's
Yet Sparkle in the Rain was done by Steven Wilson in 2014 and Paul Sinclair did the booklet for the deluxe. For some reason Street Fighting Years deluxe boxset(came out Mar 2020) did not include the 5.1 mix.

"I’ve already remixed one more ‘80s album {Trevor Horn] produced, but that’s all I can say for now."

Please, please, please let it be Welcome to the Pleasuredome!

Great interview as always Jonathan!
Oh yes please FGTH - Pleasure Dome !

" After that, they asked me to do American Beauty and the triple live album Europe ‘72. These are both out, though sadly NOT in physical form. I saw they recently put out Workingman’s Dead (1970) with Mickey Hart doing the Atmos mix", They are remixed in ATMOS but NO physical product....WTF. Glad Steve favors a physical product. Well, I got both Working Man's Dead and American Beauty in 5.1 surround, but it was so long ago. Dam I want Europe '72 in physical product.

"sjcorne
This is par for the course with new Atmos mixes. A very small percentage of what's out there has been released on Blu-Ray disc or hi-res download."

Very true.
I can easily understand how the costs of a BluRay production can limit any enthusiasm.
But the cost of putting up a lossless mkv pay-per-download, to include scans of the artwork, is virtually nil and the profits from their sale looks totally win-win. I've loved the offerings from IAA plus a few others and have purchased many of them.
Why can't we get more ??? :unsure:

Last edited:
+1 LOL.
In the March 2024 issue of Stereophile , Mike Mettler wrote a 4 page interview with Steven. But never
a word that he had listened to even a single cut from any of his work. Not 2, 5.1 or Atmos. :(

Ironically, I met Mike Mettler at SW's Insurgentes film premier at IFC in NYC back in in 2010 along with Andy Leff (SW + KC's manager at the time). In fact, Mike mistook me for Jon Urban when I mentioned QQ! Hard to say how much surround MM had absorbed. I actually met up with Jon at his house later on the same trip.

I didn't have any questions so I decided to mention to the audience that SW was busy at work remixing King Crimson and other bands. The audience was largely unaware of this and applauded. :)
Steven wore light blue tennis shoes for the event in contrast to his barefoot concert performances.

Found a 6 min clip of SW Q&A by another attendee; forgive the audio:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back