Q8: Sony TC-258

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Q8: Sony TC-258

Rarity: Rare

Average Sale Price: Unknown

So I found one of these for $10 but I doubt that's an averge price. The condition is like new. When I got it, it had a melted belt. I very carefully cleaned all the goo out. The inside, other than the belt, was so clean you could eat off of it. The exterior is also in uncannily perfect shape. The head and capstan only had the slightest of tape residue and cleaned up like new. I have a lot of 8-track decks, and I must say this thing is overbuilt even compared to other top quality decks. The fit and finish of everything is stunning. Really top notch manufacturing. I like how it has a little guard by the capstan which I'm guessing is to prevent the tape from wrapping around it. Also the 2/4 channel tape sensing switch is metal. The tape head mount appears to be carved from a little block of metal instead of stamped metal or plastic. The tape insertion and triggering of power seems to be a more complex and smoother system than most decks. It has really great construction. It is a "distributed by Superscope" model of course. The buttons on the front are: Program, FF and Repeat.

I would be happy to hear everyone's experience with this deck. Post pictures and any info you have.

Here is a pic I found on the net, not mine but a good illustration.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130424_213804.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130424_213804.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 142
Back