RARE VINTAGE AUDIONICS OF OREGON SPACE & IMAGE COMPOSER QUAD DECODER UNIT

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I am a bit of an Audionics fan. I decided to to check eBay.com as sometimes items don't show up on eBay.ca if the seller is not offering international shipping. Anyway I discovered several Audionics preamps for sale. A couple of RS-1 Pre-Amplifiers in the $800 range. Also an Audionics of Oregon RS-2 Pre-Amplifier Perfect Working Condition excellent condition. Audionics of Oregon RS-2 Pre-Amplifier Perfect Working Condition excellent cond | eBayView attachment 92789That unit is interesting in that it is silver in colour. I assume that it is an earlier unit. I just wish that they would show "naked" pictures, I would like to see what is inside!
View attachment 92789View attachment 92788
What is the purpose of the L/R calibrate controls?

I don't know for sure but they might be to calibrate the phono stage output so that the levels are perfectly balanced? Looks cool anyway!
I understand why your drawn to Audionics, besides it being just a very cool sounding name. But I thought you might be favorable towards Bryston & Anthem fine Canadian products. IIRC Anthem even has it's roots in Audio Amateur/Old Colony.

This is few years old but an interesting article:

https://www.cepro.com/news/paradigm_anthem_martinlogan_sold/
The surprise for me was about Martin Logan. Originating in Lawrence, Kansas (Go Jayhawks!!) it's only about a 45 min drive from my door. I don't know when they sold out or if all operations leaving here & going to Canada.

The Anthem brand came out of Sonic Frontiers. They used to sell a lot of "Audiophile" parts and kits. What always irked me is that although based in Canada they priced everything in US dollars. If the Canadian dollar dropped in value it was a price increase for Canadian customers. I do remember their offerings always being top notch!

Look up Sonic Frontiers now and all you get is (Sonic the Hedgehog) Sonic Game by Sega!

I got infected with a bit of the Audionics bug from @par4ken....I should be more careful!

I'm not a DIYer, so these are awefully awesome pieces, but both need a little work. Still, happy just to look at them for now. The Composer seemed to operate very nicely, but with a great deal of hiss in the audio path.

Anyway, they are remarkable pieces.

20230622_143723.jpg

I got infected with a bit of the Audionics bug from @par4ken....I should be more careful!

I'm not a DIYer, so these are awefully awesome pieces, but both need a little work. Still, happy just to look at them for now. The Composer seemed to operate very nicely, but with a great deal of hiss in the audio path.

View attachment 93029
Good Find!! This look (rack/black/handles) never gets old so far as I am concerned! As for hiss in the Composer, what is a lot of hiss? I have owned mine since new back in the late 1970's and it has always had significant hiss. I think its part of the deal.

View attachment 93029

Holy Moly, what a pair! Congratulations! And to find units like that not needing restoration.

I see you have already updated your gear list in your profile. Surround Master v3, Fosgate Tate 101A, Space and Image Composer, QSD-1... next time you vacation out of town, let me know & please leave the back door unlocked:LOL:

Well, the Composer works good, but the hiss...the preamp...it's the one @par4ken noted from eBay. I got it for 100 bucks plus the shipping. It has known issues, but i couldn't resist matching it up with the Composer!
When you get a chance pop the top on the Composer and see which version of chips is inside!

Last edited:
Years ago I built my own remote for the Composer. I still have it kicking around someplace. My plastic case didn't look nearly as nice as the factory version. Being wired can be a disadvantage, or an advantage if like me you always misplace your wireless remotes!

I didn't like the fact that to use the remote you have to disable the front panel controls. Also the remote doesn't work with the discrete input.

When you get a chance pop the top on the Composer and see which version of chips is inside!
For what I know, this is the later chip. But you experts please confirm! Plus this unit was sold in 1981 and has the odd serial number. I figure it may have been a serial number series assigned the units with a factory remote.

20230623_145136.jpg

20230623_145104.jpg

20230623_144853.jpg

20230623_144849.jpg

I didn't like the fact that to use the remote you have to disable the front panel controls. Also the remote doesn't work with the discrete input.
And it's not a user friendly switch between remote and manual! I mean, seriously, pulling in and out that little IC bypass / bridge has potential for several issues.

But it was pretty neat to sit there and adjust the sound while listening in your chair. But not having front controls becomes a nuisance after a while.

And it's not a user friendly switch between remote and manual! I mean, seriously, pulling in and out that little IC bypass / bridge has potential for several issues.

But it was pretty neat to sit there and adjust the sound while listening in your chair. But not having front controls becomes a nuisance after a while.
Steve Kennedy sez:
"If you look inside it is quite easy to distinguish version I from version II chipsets. The newer Exar chips were built in a 14 or 16-pin DIP package rather than the 18-pin DIP package of the Nationals, so they had to be mounted "hi-rise" style on an elevated adapter board that rose above all the surrounding components. The models with National chips had the detector chip mounted on the PC board itself (between two rows of large green poly capacitors) ."

Do I spy an empty IC socket to the left of RA404? Is that the bridge/bypass for the remote control?

How great that you got all that documentation with it! I certainly remember the Evolution mag & store from the early days of quad.

Back