Ray Charles & Ultimate Mancini Surround SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Concord Records has set the final song line up for the Ray Charles Surround Sound SACD entitled Genius Loves Company, due out September 14th. Guest performers will include Norah Jones, James Taylor, Diana Krall, Elton John, Natalie Cole, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Michael McDonald, B.B. King, Gladys Knight, Johnny Mathis & Van Morrison. Should be a good one !

The material on the Ultimate Mancini Surround SACD will mirror the Stereo CD edition which is already out.

See the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10631613 for more.

bmoura said:
Concord Records has set the final song line up for the Ray Charles Surround Sound SACD entitled Genius Loves Company, due out September 14th. Guest performers will include Norah Jones, James Taylor, Diana Krall, Elton John, Natalie Cole, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson, Michael McDonald, B.B. King, Gladys Knight, Johnny Mathis & Van Morrison. Should be a good one !

The material on the Ultimate Mancini Surround SACD will mirror the Stereo CD edition which is already out.

See the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10631613 for more.

Wow, I love Henry Mancini in quad, and a surround SACD release is certainly a good thing. But I think Universal dropped the ball by omitting one of his all-time standout tracks---"Experiment in Terror".

I don't get it. :mad:@:

zabble said:
Wow, I love Henry Mancini in quad, and a surround SACD release is certainly a good thing. But I think Universal dropped the ball by omitting one of his all-time standout tracks---"Experiment in Terror".

I don't get it. :mad:@:

Actually the Mancini family is in charge of the Ultimate Mancini project along with Concord Records.

Universal Music is a late entry in all of this - having just recently signed up to distribute Concord Records titles.

bmoura said:
Actually the Mancini family is in charge of the Ultimate Mancini project along with Concord Records.

Universal Music is a late entry in all of this - having just recently signed up to distribute Concord Records titles.

Thanks for clarifying that. Upon re-reading the article, I realized that I just looked at the setlist without reading the body. Now I see that these are all new live recordings. I had assumed that these would be the original studio recordings. I don't think Henry Mancini ever attempted "Experiment in Terror" live, with what sounds like piano strings being plucked as the lead melody instrument.

zabble said:
Thanks for clarifying that. Upon re-reading the article, I realized that I just looked at the setlist without reading the body. Now I see that these are all new live recordings. I had assumed that these would be the original studio recordings. I don't think Henry Mancini ever attempted "Experiment in Terror" live, with what sounds like piano strings being plucked as the lead melody instrument.

Right. It's a completely new album with a 65 piece band fronted by Monica Mancini. It has a host of guest artists but the arrangements for the most part are the original ones.

Should be a very nice Surround SACD. It's on my shopping list for 8/24 !

Back