RCVR: Akai AS-1080DB Quadraphonic Receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrockasaurus

If you have any more photo's or comments to make on this Quadraphonic unit please feel free to post them in this thread....:)

Akai AS-1080DB Quadraphonic Receiver

Rarity: SCARCE
Average Sale Price: $250.00

These tend to turn up in groups. None for a while...and then a whole bunch will turn up. A few have turned up in Australia in the last year and a half and sold for approximately the amount I've listed. There are however a couple of VERY expensive ones currently listed in the UK & Australia.
I'd be patient, you can usually pick these up fairly inexpensively.

Top of this line and one of the very last (..The Telefunken TRX-3000 might have been the last) of the big-ass Quad Receivers released. Probably the most modern looking of the classic 70's units. Replaced the AS-980. Released in approximately 1976. The Similar looking Model AS-1070 was just below it in the range.

SQ & CD4 Decoding included. A Dolby Decoder..hence the "DB". 4x40Watts RMS......still looks great.

Akai AS-1080DB Quad Receiver1.jpg

Akai AS-1080DB Quad Receiver2.jpg

Oh, how I wish receivers still looked like this. It's amazing looking. Plus, it not only has CD-4 and SQ with Logic but double Dolby, for the front and rear channels, which I can't recall seeing before on a Dolby equipped Quad receiver. So the Double Dolby could be used with Q4 tapes and Q8 too. How awesome.

I wonder how well it actually performed in basic sound quality as well as CD-4 demodulation and SQ Logic decoding?

It is very, very beautiful.

Say what you will about the seventies but the HiFi manufacturers' designers had it all together. (y)

I'm sure it would have an advanced CD-4 demod. since it was realeased in 1976. Very late.

Back