Reality by Bowie - like Heathen?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
In today's UK Dail Mail newspaper (15.8.03) there is a good review of David Bowie's forthcoming (15 Sep) release, Reality. It seems a bit rockier than Heathen and suited to a live presentation. It's been produced with Tony Visconti (as with Heathen).

Last years' SACD m/c Heathen was a cracking release - anyone know if the new disc will be available in surround too? I have not heard any mention so far - but here's hoping...

Aitch :confused:

bayards said:
In today's UK Dail Mail newspaper (15.8.03) there is a good review of David Bowie's forthcoming (15 Sep) release, Reality. It seems a bit rockier than Heathen and suited to a live presentation. It's been produced with Tony Visconti (as with Heathen).

Last years' SACD m/c Heathen was a cracking release - anyone know if the new disc will be available in surround too? I have not heard any mention so far - but here's hoping...

Good news! Elusive Disc lists a September 16, 2003 release date for the multi-channel SACD of Reality. While I wouldn't be surprised if the title is delayed, at least it's in the pipeline for release. Here's some info from the Elusive Disc Web site:
Reality features nine new Bowie compositions, plus two cover versions - "Pablo Picasso," written by Jonathan Richman and originally recorded by The Modern Lovers, and "Try Some, Buy Some" by George Harrison. Reality was co-produced by Bowie and his legendary helmsman Tony Visconti. The two, who re-teamed for last year's Heathen release, have collaborated on some of Bowie's most successful releases, such as Young Americans, Heroes and Scary Monsters. This new album features the highly acclaimed band that performed on last year's Heathen mini tour, including long-time Bowie musicians such as vocalist Gail Ann Dorsey, pianist Mike Garson, drummer Sterling Campbell and guitarists Earl Slick and Gerry Leonard. Visconti added bass, and Bowie played keys, guitar and sax.

The stark reality about Reality is that there isn't any concept. With Reality, Bowie has taken "no concept" to new heights. The vivid, wildly impressive result is one of the most powerful sets of songs in Bowie's illustrious body of work. Coming from the creative pioneer who brought rock music drama and depth, Reality couldn't be straightforward. This potent and eclectic group of songs are as distinctive as past Bowie classics.

Selections:
1. New Killer Star
2. Pablo Picasso
3. Never Get Old
4. The Loneliest Guy
5. Looking for Water
6. She'll Drive the Big Car
7. Days
8. Fall Dog Bombs the Moon
9. Try Some, Buy Some
10. Reality
11. Bring Me the Disco King

Attachments

• realitySACD.jpg
    realitySACD.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 233
bayards said:

Yes, it will be a Surround Sound SACD. See the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=15331613

Thanks to The Rang (in a trade), 'Reality' is now one of my favourite surround SACD's.

It's almost infectious listening right off the bat.

It's not as bright as some of the other Bowie titles.

Last edited:
I think the SACD of Reality is OK but I don't find the rear channels very active in the surround layer. Or to put it this way, I like the music a bit better on Reality than Heathen but I find the surround mix on the Heathen SACD to be more engaging.

I have the DualDisc version of Reality. I am not a great Bowie fan and I do not think that Reality is one of his best efforts, however, I listen to Reality much more than I listen to my SACD version of Heathen. IMHO Reality is one of the best examples of the capability of the DualDisc format. There is a lot of video content that is very worthwhile.

Back