Reality Technologies - New surround technology

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bob
You have been a very busy boy!

With regard to updates at the moment you need to connect the system to a 6 pin interface to our DSP programmer. I will look at your suggestion for the next level unit but that could be a year off. I am trying to ensure the software is optimised this month, and yes I can see there will be a change to the encoder (the inclusion of adaptive matrix parameter technology borrowed from the encoder). In addition we will this week rectify the slight issue you found on the centre channel on 5.1 (I really don't like 5.1).

Our real aim is not just a numbers chase on raw dB separation but to make BOTH the encode stereo and decode surround indistinguishable from a conventional stereo mix and the surround indistinguishable from discrete. We in fact get better separation numbers on INVOLVE decode of QS (40dB) than we do decoding INVOLVE format but the advantage is (we claim) INVOLVE format is totally compatible to stereo without any audible compromises in the resultant decoded surround.

Regards

Charlie

Bob:

Thank you for the review. How would you say the "2 channel surround decoder" mode compares to the old CARVER Holographic Generator process or is the Reality Technologies a completely different experience?

Justin

Bob:

Thank you for the review. How would you say the "2 channel surround decoder" mode compares to the old CARVER Holographic Generator process or is the Reality Technologies a completely different experience?

Justin
Unfortunately i wouldn't know about that. All I can say is it is very good!

Hello everyone

Below I have attached a few files that should enable you to listen to our TSS (Two Speaker Surround) format via your normal stereo setup (no need for our Master Surround box).

The first file is the TSS version of the DSOTM track "money" as mentioned in one of my previous posts, please compare it to the normal stereo version.

TSS -money
http://depositfiles.com/files/rucs5ixmx

stereo - money
http://depositfiles.com/files/unxnv2qdp

The technique works better with reasonable speakers (can be poor on some PC internal speakers)

Also we have a track by an Australian group "Cold Chisel" recorded in stereo in the 80's called "Saturday night" We used our decoder in TSS mode to decode this stereo track and represent it in the two channel virtual surround mode. This track is interesting as part of the stereo mix was recorded with live "pub- crowd" noises at the start but fades to studio studio mid track.

STEREO -Cold Chisel- Saturday Night
http://depositfiles.com/files/5cbvk8zuh

TSS - Cold Chisel- Saturday Night
http://depositfiles.com/files/tm6qyr1dx

As previously stated TSS works well with 80% of listeners, turns out the 20% that don't get a good result fall into two catagories

1 Poor direction hearing perception
2 Very good directional hearing perception

I know this is strange but for us common 80% of listeners we get to enjoy it.

Regards

Charlie

Hello everyone.

Production is still in progress on the first batch of Surround Master decoders and assuming all parts are on time we will have some available early September. We have spent some time this week upgrading the cabling and installing new software into our Involve 3D home theatre demonstration facility located in Dromana Melbourne Australia (just local for most of you).

INVITATION TO VISIT OUR DEMONSTRATION HOME THEATRE

The function and aim of this facility was to provide a comfortable venue for all serious surround sound manufacturers/ distributors/ reviewers/ enthusiasts to compare the best commercially available 7.1 Dolby/ DTS style home theatre to either a 2D or 3D INVOLVE surround system with TOTAL PERSPECTIVE. The system runs fully in parallel to the 7.1 system and in fact uses separate amplifiers and TOTAL PERSPECTIVE speakers for our system. It is fully instantly switchable to any configuration for example we can decode from standard stereo, INVOLVE stereo from a discrete source, listen to any point in the chain and a multitude of other variables.

Currently we have not completed suitable software for the full 3D presentation but suffice to say we have fully proven that we can provide a true precise 3D presentation (yes real height) from just 4 recorded analogue data streams (such as is readily available in today’s DVD’s).

The equipment rack shown in the attached photos comprises:

Top to Bottom

Linksys RV082
Philips pronto serial extender
IPC 9000 Powerplay control center (power conditioner)
AMX Autopatch PRECIS LT
Foxtel IQ2
CINEVERSUM VRS (By Anchor Bay) 1080p processor
Rotel RC-1550
Nintendo Wii
Healing HHT894 HD digital DTV box
Lexicon MC-8 Digital Controller
Panasonic DMR-EX77DVD / HD recorder
Denon DBP 1611-UD Bluray / disc player
Involve / Reality switch box (Bitch Switch)
Dual Involve 3d Decoder in ME box
Upper Total perspective ME box.
Lower Total perspective ME box
3 x ME Cinema 8 Amplifier’s (8 x 120w class AB) by reality design.

We welcome all serious forum members to visit this installation.
Please book ahead so we can arrange suitable time.

From our experience all listeners so far always prefer INVOLVE + TOTAL PERSPECTIVE as it facilitates the centre sound to actually stay in the centre for all listeners and actually produces a true circular sound space. This in contrast to the narrower sound field with pinpoints of sound combined with a centre that is below the screen evident in the 7.1 system. Please note that no expense was spared on the 7.1 system with in excess of $40,000 expenditure.

Typically our system usually runs straight off the stereo composite output from the Blueray.

Attachments

• P8177158_resize.jpg
    P8177158_resize.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 322
  • P8177159_resize.jpg
    P8177159_resize.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 329
  • P8177166_resize.jpg
    P8177166_resize.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 321
  • P8177167_resize.jpg
    P8177167_resize.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 323
  • P8177187_resize.jpg
    P8177187_resize.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 324
  • P8177188_resize.jpg
    P8177188_resize.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 321
Yes, it sounds as good as it looks. Interestingly, you probably can't see our speakers in the shots of the theatre inside.

Hello everyone.

Just a preview of what is to come. We successfully tested the first 5 trial units of the INVOLVE Surround Master today and all is performing as expected. Bob Romano has found a small image issue with the 5.1 mode (with centre channel), we are fixing the error in the software at the moment (just quietly it's turned from a mole hill into a mountain!!) but we will have it fully functional within a few days.

THANKS BOB better catching things before we hit full production.

Below is some sneak preview photo's of the new INVOLVE Surround Master decoder PCB's
We are just waiting for the new molded plastic enclosures and the packaging.

Also its possibly a bit off topic but we got a delightful review of our electrostatic speakers today on another forum - you might want to check it out as it gives you a peek into our companies history.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/ind...e-nakamichi-dragon-electrostatic/#entry752202

Regards

Charlie

Attachments

• 20120822_120308_resize.jpg
    20120822_120308_resize.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 307
  • 20120822_120348_resize.jpg
    20120822_120348_resize.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 302
I am interested in the purchase of the Involve Surround Master unit if the 5.1 issues are solved. I would only us this to get a discrete 5.1 output from a stereo input.

Hi Byrdman7

We are trialling the new updated 5.1 this week......so far it sounds fine. We never usually run 5.1 in our setup in Australia as we always operate it with Total Perspective that makes the centre channel unnecessary.

Regards

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
Thank you for your reply. I am a old fart that has (2) 5.1 systems in my home so the 5.1 does interest me. I use PLL IIx Music for a stereo source at the moment that sounds pretty good. I downloaded the two files you linked and was really impressed with what I heard in 4 channel. If your final 5.1 sounds as good I am sold. Bob is a respected member here, you made a wise choice, his word is gold. Take care.

Reagan

Hi Byrdman7

We are trialling the new updated 5.1 this week......so far it sounds fine. We never usually run 5.1 in our setup in Australia as we always operate it with Total Perspective that makes the centre channel unnecessary.

Regards

Charlie

Hi Reagan

Just curious, which of my trial files did you try out. The TSS two Speaker Stereo surround virtualiser via your existing stereo speaker? Or did you try the Involve encoded stereo through your PLL IIx. In short could you detail the setup of your trial - I love feedback!!

regards

Charlie

Hi Charlie,
Thank you for your reply. I am a old fart that has (2) 5.1 systems in my home so the 5.1 does interest me. I use PLL IIx Music for a stereo source at the moment that sounds pretty good. I downloaded the two files you linked and was really impressed with what I heard in 4 channel. If your final 5.1 sounds as good I am sold. Bob is a respected member here, you made a wise choice, his word is gold. Take care.

Reagan

Hi Charlie,
I downloaded the two files on your post # 75 and played them audio direct using the analog 5.1 in/outputs of my player and receiver. No PLL IIx was involved.

Reagan

Hi Reagan

Just curious, which of my trial files did you try out. The TSS two Speaker Stereo surround virtualiser via your existing stereo speaker? Or did you try the Involve encoded stereo through your PLL IIx. In short could you detail the setup of your trial - I love feedback!!

regards

Charlie

Hi Reagan

Pardon my thickness..... so you played the Involve "stereo" encode on 2 speakers or via some sort of decode into 4????

Regards

charlie

Charlie,
I am the thick one here :>( I had to put my ear to my rear speakers, the Involve trial sample sounded like 4.0 and it is indeed 2.0. I can confirm the 2.0 section is amazing.

Hi Reagan

Pardon my thickness..... so you played the Involve "stereo" encode on 2 speakers or via some sort of decode into 4????

Regards

charlie

Hello All

As promised we are nearing completion of our Involve Intelligent Encoder. We will be releasing 2 units a basic consumer/ home studio version and a professional recording studio version.

Please find attached a sneak preview of the new Involve Intelligent Encoder.

Regards

Charlie

Attachments

• P8297225_resize.jpg
    P8297225_resize.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 248
  • P8297223_resize.jpg
    P8297223_resize.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 247
Hello All

As promised we are nearing completion of our Involve Intelligent Encoder. We will be releasing 2 units a basic consumer/ home studio version and a professional recording studio version.

Please find attached a sneak preview of the new Involve Intelligent Encoder.

Regards

Charlie

Charlie:

Do you have an idea what the retail price will be for the basic consumer/ home studio version and the professional recording studio version?

Justin

Hi Justin

The encoder is more expensive as it is a lower volume product and frankly it is our policy not to License the Involve recording format but rely on the sale of the encoders in the recording studio's. The price of the consumer encoder is $695 and the professional version around $2k.

Regards

Charlie

Charlie:

Do you have an idea what the retail price will be for the basic consumer/ home studio version and the professional recording studio version?

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back