Reality Technologies Surround Master - Owners Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question - I got a customs bill from TNT Shipping yesterday for $36.62 (a few weeks after receiving my SM). Anybody else get one? I'm in Colorado USA. Chucky, does that make sense? Thanks!

You should think yourself lucky that you live in a country with such low taxes skindizer - you got off very lightly!!- My tax bill via TNT in the UK was £24.97 Import Duty + £60.57 VAT (+ TNT's recovery fee of £15 and VAT on that (!!) of £3) = £100.47

So anyone having to pay less than $156 really shouldn't be complaining!

To be honest I was thinking about buying a second SM but these additional costs just make it prohibitively expensive.

You should think yourself lucky that you live in a country with such low taxes skindizer - you got off very lightly!!- My tax bill via TNT in the UK was £24.97 Import Duty + £60.57 VAT (+ TNT's recovery fee of £15 and VAT on that (!!) of £3) = £100.47

So anyone having to pay less than $156 really shouldn't be complaining!

Very interesting. Sounds like QQ fans ordering the Surround Master should add this to their budget for the unit.

I do not know which amount on duties and VAT one should pay in NL, but it is hard to avoid this. For purchases higher than €150,00 custom duties (% depends of type of itms purchased) will be calculated on the item amount including transport and insurance. On top of that 21% VAT will be calculated.

anyone having to pay less than $156 really shouldn't be complaining!

I wouldn't say I was complaining - just making sure I'm not getting billed for something I shouldn't be. I'm tickled with my SM and have no problem with the extra $36 as long as it is appropriate.

Hi All

Just for the sake of balanced reviewing and a look at how the great unwashed view quad, here is a recent review conducted by Audioholics forum of the Surround Master.

Eh, you win some - you lose some .

I see he has misread our view on 12 dB separation as we achieve 35 dB (but our tests show 12 dB is the perception limit).

Perhaps if any QQ members are also members of Audioholics you might add your views.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/involve-audio-surround-master

Regards

Chucky

I'd count that one as a mixed review. The reviewer says that the SM outdoes Dolby and DTS enhancement modes for Stereo sources. But then says matrix quad isn't coming back. Hmm, I'd agree there too. Oh well....

A few days ago I have received my SM Decoder in QS/SQ version. The sound quality is very well and the channel sparation too. A new step in Matrix quality. Other surround fans, who has listen too, have been also impressed. Now it should be the time, that we could receive finally also the since years announced Dorren-Demodulator. That would lift also CD-4 to an actual suited sound quality.

Dietrich

and as completion: I have asked already Chucky about the possibility to built such CD-4 demodulator also in digital technic with their staff. Till now with no result. But the better idea would be, when both would work together. Lou Dorren could give his CD-4 developments to the austalien engineers, which could make then the "mass-production" ready. It would be further on a Dorren-Demodulator (built by incolve audio). I think, a nice idea. And we interested fans could have also and finally the most modern CD-4 technic.

Dietrich

Hi Quadro-action

Thank you for your comments on the Surround Master SQ/ QS unit. I must have missed your question to me about a possibility of a CD 4 decoder. I am sure Lou has done some great work on the design but we have no intention to tread into this area. Happy to look at manufacturing Lou's if he is looking for a manufacturer but I personally see no relevance to our long term strategy to head into that direction.

Regards

Chucky

Hello Chucky,

thank you for your answer. The reason for my suggestion is to help and to find possibilities, that the nearly endless story with the demodulator should have finally a result after now almost 6 years. When Lou Dorrren has shown last year some technical boards with all technical details, then it must go forward. If necessary, also with help from other technicak possibilities. For building- as example - 150 units, one need a technical staff. That was the reason for my asking. But now we must wait, what Lou Dorren may answer. My request is to help, that things go forward and to find possibilities. Especially, when I know, how impressive new quadraphonic developments can be like the new QS/SQ decoder. I think, that further fans in my surrounding may buy a SM dcoder from involve audio.

Dietrich

Hi Quaddo-action

We are happy to provide a totally secure manufacture quote (we have a fully automated SMT line) and we are happy to assist in any way possible.

Regards

Chucky

Hello Chucky,

thank you for your answer. The reason for my suggestion is to help and to find possibilities, that the nearly endless story with the demodulator should have finally a result after now almost 6 years. When Lou Dorrren has shown last year some technical boards with all technical details, then it must go forward. If necessary, also with help from other technicak possibilities. For building- as example - 150 units, one need a technical staff. That was the reason for my asking. But now we must wait, what Lou Dorren may answer. My request is to help, that things go forward and to find possibilities. Especially, when I know, how impressive new quadraphonic developments can be like the new QS/SQ decoder. I think, that further fans in my surrounding may buy a SM dcoder from involve audio.

Dietrich

Hello Chucky,

thank you for your message. I was enjoyed about your answer. Meanwhile I have written to Lou Dorren, that such a possibility for a "mass" duplication of the Demodulator would exist in your firm. Now we must wait, what he will answer and if he is willing for such an agreement.

Thanks

Dietrich

Meanwhile also another fan from our circle has ordered a surround master Decoder SQ version. May be another will follow after sound demonstrations. So we have at leat on the Matrix side a sound progress. Which may be on the CD-4 side we can onyly wait, if there are wonder possible. Lou ist however informed about the possibilities to finsic the decoder with a help from involve audio.

Dietrich

Set-up the Surround Master/SQ Edition this weekend. Here's some initial comments and findings:

• SQ Mode - Effective with two SQ Encoded CDs in my collection (Chase and Annie Original Cast Recording). The three band decoding approach does allow the unit to separate multiple sounds at once.
  • Involve Mode - I found this most effective -and preferable to the SQ Mode on a variety of encoded material including QS, Spatializer, Roland, Dolby Surround, QSound and Stereo CDs. Probably not surprising since this is the decoder's native mode.
  • QSound CDs - I was surprised to find that the best results from the Surround Master were from QSound encoded albums like Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" and Roger Waters "Amused to Death". The Surround Master grabs the wide stereo information from these CDs and really fills the Surround Sound field with convincing 4 Channel music. (I'll have to look for some more QSound CDs!)
  • QS Encoded Music - QS Encoded Music was very well decoded. The example here is Synergy's "Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra" from HD Tracks in 24/192 WAV format. Excellent.
  • Stereo CDs - They performed very well with the Surround Master when the album featured a wide stereo image and good dynamic range. The results were not as impressive when the CDs were compressed and/or had a narrow Stereo image. A highlight here was the Telarc Stereo CD "California Project: The Music of the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean". Very convincing Surround from a very well recorded and dynamic Stereo CD.
  • Dolby Surround - The Surround Master's processing and steering actually separated some left surround and right surround placements and music from CDs that were not encoded that way. Nice. "The Home Video Album" on RCA was a highlight here.
  • Spatialzer - Telarc released a number of Surround Sound titles using the Spatializer processor. The wide stereo images made for some impressive Surround Music - and Sound Effects. Check the album "Best of Erich Kunzel & the Cincinnati Pops" for some examples - including cows and outer space effects in Surround Sound.
  • Roland Sound Space System - Even the very obscure Roland Sound Space System used on Steve Reid's Bamboo Forest "Mysteries" CD on Telarc benefited immensely from the Surround Master's "Involve" decoding. It took a wide stereo image and made it into a very impressive Surround Sound performance.
So far, I'm very impressed. The Surround Master is a keeper - it really does convert CDs encoded in various matrix and enhancement formats into convincing Surround music. Even more impressive are the results with well recorded Stereo CDs.

One area where I disagree with the Surround Master folks is their claims that the unit is equal to or better than Discrete Surround. I tested that out on a few albums that I have in Discrete Surround. The Surround Master offers some nice Surround effects from the Stereo tracks on these discs. But it lags behind the real Discrete Surround mixes. Not a big surprise, given that it is using a Matrix Decode/Enhancement system to create a Surround Field, but worth mentioning.

And now, back to the listening room for some more Surround Master fun.....

A very interesting test report from bmoura. I have tested the Surround Master with SQ and QS and Stereo LP's. I feel, that also the SQ mode would have better results as with the old SQ decoders and of cours very well with QS. Also Stereo changing in Surround is impressive. But as bmoura said, it is dependent from the mix of the quadraphonic Matrix or the Stereo software. Of course, the SQ mix from Enoch light is very impressive and the half speed QS records from Sansui with QS will sound in quadraphonic mode also impressive in channel separation and hifi quality. A few of my know quadraphonic fans beeing also by an order.

On the other hand, also a well decoder will not make discrte surround productions unnecessary. Those will have a real feeling stable and "robust" sound construction - but also different by some sound engineers and productions. Some are not allowed to make a real "discrete" mix or have other puristic sound theories. That is the reason, why we make now self our discrete quadraphonic productions. But altogether the SURROUND MASTER is an advantage for each surround fan.

Dietrich

A very interesting test report from bmoura. I have tested the Surround Master with SQ and QS and Stereo LP's. I feel, that also the SQ mode would have better results as with the old SQ decoders and of cours very well with QS. Also Stereo changing in Surround is impressive. But as bmoura said, it is dependent from the mix of the quadraphonic Matrix or the Stereo software. Of course, the SQ mix from Enoch light is very impressive and the half speed QS records from Sansui with QS will sound in quadraphonic mode also impressive in channel separation and hifi quality. A few of my know quadraphonic fans beeing also by an order.

Now, if some of those Enoch Light Quad Albums were available as QS or SQ encoded CDs with the Surround Master.....

I like Enoch Light but can only handle so much big band/orchestra pop in one sitting lol. He really was a master of the quad mix.

Also, I just wanted to share. A new habit of mine with the Surround Master is to sit sideways (both directions) sometimes and listen in awe at the discrete sounding front and rear seperation. Sometimes that also helps me get my bearings on a complex mix.

I like Enoch Light but can only handle so much big band/orchestra pop in one sitting lol. He really was a master of the quad mix.

Also, I just wanted to share. A new habit of mine with the Surround Master is to sit sideways (both directions) sometimes and listen in awe at the discrete sounding front and rear seperation. Sometimes that also helps me get my bearings on a complex mix.

True. A little goes a long way. But excellent Quad mixes.

Back