Reunited Cream live CD/DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
As reported in Billboard Online and Hits Daily Double (www.billboard.com and www.hitsdailydouble.com);

Cream played its first shows in nearly 37 years in May at London's Royal Albert Hall, grossing more than $3.6 million, according to Billboard Boxscore. As previously reported, highlights will be released Oct. 4 by Rhino on the CD/DVD "Royal Albert Hall London May 2-3-5-6 2005."

The DVD features 19 songs stitched together from across the run, as well as eight alternate takes and interviews with group members Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce and Eric Clapton. Select footage will be utilized for an episode of PBS' "Great Performances" in late November or early December.

The accompanying CD will duplicate the same track list as the main program of the DVD but will be made up of different versions.

The London shows were captured on HD and 5.1 surround sound.

No word yet on whether the CD will have surround tracks.

Here is the track list for the DVD/CD:

"I'm So Glad"
"Spoonful"
"Outside Woman Blues"
"Pressed Rat & Warthog"
"Sleepy Time Time"
"N.S.U."
"Badge"
"Politician"
"Sweet Wine"
"Rollin' & Tumblin'"
"Stormy Monday"
"Deserted Cities of the Heart"
"Born Under a Bad Sign"
"We're Going Wrong"
"Crossroads"
"Sitting on Top of the World"
"White Room"
"Toad"
"Sunshine of Your Love"

neil wilkes said:
Lets hope it is in High Res, and not just Dolby Digital.
AFAIK this is two seperate issues......a cd.....and a DVD video, not a double disc. So no hi rez.

Ah.
In the UK, CD & DVD can mean DualDisc, as we seem to have licensing problems with DualDisc here. Import only. Thanks to Dieter....nice one buddy!
So maybe a DTS stream then?
Personally, I would rather a higher Audio quality - not really that bothered about pictures. After all, it's supposed to be about the music.

neil wilkes said:
Ah.
In the UK, CD & DVD can mean DualDisc, as we seem to have licensing problems with DualDisc here. Import only. Thanks to Dieter....nice one buddy!
So maybe a DTS stream then?
Personally, I would rather a higher Audio quality - not really that bothered about pictures. After all, it's supposed to be about the music.

You will begin to see DualDisc soon in UK - as long as the companies are willing to pay Mr. Dierks his royalty - both Sony and Sonopress have gone to the trouble of being certified to replicate DualDisc in Europe -so it won't be long before you can have access to some really great ;) "enhanced stereo."

As far as the Cream CD/DVD goes, I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the pictures. Rather than fork over several hundred dollars to see Cream live at Madison Square Garden in October. I can pop the DVD in and have as close to a concert experience as possible on my home theater - in surround sound no less. I grew up on Wheels of Fire - played over and over on my parents Victrola in MONO with a penny taped to the stylus arm to keep it from skipping - 5.1 is a nice bonus even if only DTS.

I am somewhat amazed and amused by the skepticism that meets the announcement of new titles on this forum.

I'm with Dave on this one.

What gets me upset is the fact that the pictures are recorded in HD, doubtless the music is too, yet we get palmed off with - usually - Dolby Digital so that the blasted pictures get a higher bitrate.
Now, is this supposed to be a musical event or a burlesque?
If a musical event, then for the love of God why can we not get decent quality? Dolby Digital is not even close to as good as vinyl was. The ratios of throwout to what is kept is a crime against music. And yet we still get lovely PICTURES.
Of what - 3 guys in their sixties. Okay, fair comment about the wanting to see it - but lets be brutally honest here, it's boring. Once you have seen a band onstage you have seen it. And they are all the same. Even a great lightshow is irrelevant - it is supposed to be an ALBUM.

As for the whole Sony/DualDisc thing.
Why mr Dierks got a patent when there was not even a working prototype is beyond me.
And now we have DualDisc Sony, again, are watering it down to either Dolby Digital or 16/48 stereo. It won't be long before the entire DVD side is all just pictures.
Good job it wasn't done that way i the sixties and seventies. Most of the really big artists just didn't look good so would never have been signed at all in the current climate where how you look is apparently more important than how you sound - after all, it's a simple matter to sequene up yet another cover version & slap Autotune all over it to hide the fact the so-called "talent" can't play. Or sing. But hey - the dance routine looks great so that's okay then.

Sorry - but Cream are legendary, and they were about the music not how they looked.
So for once let's have this in High Res, or DTS at least.
Dolby Digital will be yet another missed opportunity.
Doubtless I will go and buy it, as even DD is better than nothing, although not by much. Elmer, you say about not being at the show so this is a good second best. Now think how much more realistic it would be in high quality.

neil wilkes said:

What gets me upset is the fact that the pictures are recorded in HD, doubtless the music is too, yet we get palmed off with - usually - Dolby Digital so that the blasted pictures get a higher bitrate.
If a musical event, then for the love of God why can we not get decent quality? Dolby Digital is not even close to as good as vinyl was. The ratios of throwout to what is kept is a crime against music. And yet we still get lovely PICTURES.
Of what - 3 guys in their sixties. Okay, fair comment about the wanting to see it - but lets be brutally honest here, it's boring. Once you have seen a band onstage you have seen it. And they are all the same. Even a great lightshow is irrelevant - it is supposed to be an ALBUM.

Why mr Dierks got a patent when there was not even a working prototype is beyond me.
And now we have DualDisc Sony, again, are watering it down to either Dolby Digital or 16/48 stereo. It won't be long before the entire DVD side is all just pictures.
Good job it wasn't done that way i the sixties and seventies. Most of the really big artists just didn't look good so would never have been signed at all in the current climate where how you look is apparently more important than how you sound - after all, it's a simple matter to sequene up yet another cover version & slap Autotune all over it to hide the fact the so-called "talent" can't play. Or sing. But hey - the dance routine looks great so that's okay then.

Sorry - but Cream are legendary, and they were about the music not how they looked.
Doubtless I will go and buy it, as even DD is better than nothing, although not by much. Elmer, you say about not being at the show so this is a good second best. Now think how much more realistic it would be in high quality.

Your rant about the current state of superficiality in the music biz is understandable - however I believe that it has always existed - its just the aesthetic that has changed. However, the video element of a Cream reunion has nothing to do with the aesthetic of how they look and all to do with the dynamic of seeing them perform - the physicality of the onstage communication. Fortunately for you, if you want some element of MC even if it is only DD or DTS, you can always turn the TV off.

Apparently you will be disappointed in your purchase before you even experience it. I, on the other hand will be thrilled to hear and SEE the best of what is offered. No worries, in the end you like what you like. :smokin

neil wilkes said:

They are just catering to the general public. The ones that have multi-thousand dollar video displays and $200 tiny Home Theatre in a Box. I have friends that have done this exact thing. They think the sound is adequate with Dolby 5.1 but don't try to fudge with the High Definition display or there will be hell to pay. Idiots.

Elmer.
It is not about "being disappointed with the purchase" as you put it at all!
It is simply that I still believe that a music disc should be primarily about the music, and not pictures.
Currently the music seems to be considered as something to be tolerated as long as it is not getting in the way of the videos.
The music should come FIRST.

neil wilkes said:
I still believe that a music disc should be primarily about the music
Such discs do exist, called CD's ... allas no Mullti Chan and mostly butchered by mastering with max. compression.
A DVD-V is a picture disc, decent picture quality is expected and all you can hope for is DTS sound. Or do we need Blue laser disc after all, with hi-rez sound and hi-rez picture? :eek:

Oh and I think there were DVD-A and SACD, or were there? ;)
Not totally unthinkable this would be released on SACD sometime if it sells good.

neil wilkes said:
Elmer.
It is not about "being disappointed with the purchase" as you put it at all!
It is simply that I still believe that a music disc should be primarily about the music, and not pictures.
Currently the music seems to be considered as something to be tolerated as long as it is not getting in the way of the videos.
The music should come FIRST.

Neil - the music is the most important element. No argument. What can I say, I'm a fan - I want to see the video. You don't, and that's OK! You can buy the CD - not sure if it will be in MC but if it is, then you're in luck.

Ge Someone said:
Not totally unthinkable this would be released on SACD sometime if it sells good.

In North America? VERY unthinkable!

elmer said:
You can buy the CD - not sure if it will be in MC but if it is, then you're in luck.

When was the last time you saw a multichannel cd? :confused:

daved64 said:
When was the last time you saw a multichannel cd? :confused:

Seemingly it was earlier this year. Silly me. I hadn't realised that the CD that came with that Jean Michel Jarre DVD was itself multi-channel or I would not have given it away without playing it. Bloke at work seemed a bit peeved when I told him there was no such thing as a multi-channel CD. His copy is, and he knows multi-channel when he hears it.

(y) Just picked up my copy of the DVD yesterday at Tower in NYC for $17.99 - gave the first half of the first disc a listen - excellent! The DTS 5.1 mix is strong considering that it is a 3 piece group. The rears are mainly used for the "live" sound - audience and reverb - but overall it is a very 3 dimensional mix. Guitar and bass and vocals balanced nicely with Ginger Baker's drum set surrounding you.

The camera work is unobtrusive with, thankfully, a minimum of cuts and zooms. Jack Bruce's vocals and basswork are impeccable and Ginger Baker seems to have been reborn - he must be visiting Keith Richard's doctor. Clapton stretches out more than he has in years - it's great to hear old Slowhand. The only criticism so far is that while the sound is excellent, and the playing top notch, today's technological advances of "clean" distortion and 35 years of 3 professionals applying stage dynamics detracts ever so slightly from the balls to the wall sound of the originals. Young guns tend to step all over each other trying to outdo the other - here it is the mutual respect of elder, master musicians. Still worth experiencing - just toned down a notch.

Man, I have no idea which route to take. I'm a tad apprehensive with buying the DVD, but I want multi-channel. The CD??? Hmmm, not multi-channel. So how about this? What about buying the newly released, extended "Farewell Concert," not watch the DVD, just have the music play. Is the sound muddy or is it good?

terry said:
Man, I have no idea which route to take. I'm a tad apprehensive with buying the DVD, but I want multi-channel. The CD??? Hmmm, not multi-channel. So how about this? What about buying the newly released, extended "Farewell Concert," not watch the DVD, just have the music play. Is the sound muddy or is it good?

I have no idea how the Farewell Concert sounds - but the sound is great on the new DVD - if you like Cream, you'll like the DVD - and you can play it with the picture off as well. Can't go wrong for a 2 DVD set under $20.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2M&title=731614&p=25&g=25&pa=stgts1
No mention at all of a DTS stream here, and they usually say.
No mention on Rhino's website either -http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=970421
and if the label does not say, then how are we supposed to know?

Are you certain there is actually a DTS stream please - I don't really want to get another DD Cream disc.

Back