RIP Peter Schickele aka PDQ Bach

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I'd had a chance to attend a live performance. I'll be spending time tonight with The Wurst (and my prized 1977 Quality Paperback Book Club copy of The Definitive Biography). Will there be a memorial concert at the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople? RIP, PDQ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Definitive_Biography_of_P.D.Q._Bach

Last edited:
Besides Schickele's iconic albums on the audiophile Vanguard Label he was also instrumentalist/arranger in his collaborations with folk singer Joan Baez on her magnificent Christmas album NOEL and JOAN

Joan Baez album Noël [Music World]

Joan Baez - Joan (Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono) | Discogs

Last edited:
I once quipped the joke about the University of south North Dakota to a medical professor whom I wanted to get rid of at a convention.
He instantly about faced and stormed off.

RIP

Caught Professor Schickele live at Symphony Center (Orchestra Hall) Chicago. Solti was still Conductor of CSO at that point. During intermission, I kept asking folks in the lobby where Solti was and what was this drivel??

I'm near complete on Schieckle and PDQ Bach. Strongly recommend the aforementioned Baez albums. Complete on her and attended her farewell tour at the Chicago Theater. She was kind enough to send us copies of her latest CD!

Several of his later Telarc CD titles are Dolby Surround.

Bought this one on 7" reel. It isn't mirthful, though the cover is,
Good Time Ticket - Peter Schickele & his orchestra:

https://www.discogs.com/release/16446213-Peter-Schickele-And-His-Orchestra-Good-Time-Ticket

RIP Professor

One of my favorite CDs [surely top 100] is
P.D.Q. Bach - 1712 Overture & Other Musical Assaults' [Grammy Winner for 'Best Comedy Album of the Year']

I've longed for a Surround Sound mix of this one [ balloons popping in surround (there must have been a budget issue with using canons), ooh the Goose Bumps !! ]
I am not a musician, so I do not get all of the humor on this title, but I still find the CD hilarious.

edit: I played the "1712 Overture & Other Musical Assaults" CD again last night, and laughed all the way through it, again, despite feeling a bit melancholy over the news of Mr. Schickele's passing.

Last edited:
It wasn't me. It was someone before me in the articles blockchain. I did want to let his fans know though. It was the very first time I ever saw that "GIFT" label.

My favorite Peter Schickele thing is hearing him on the classical music station while driving. Suddenly one of his witty musical jokes comes on and makes me guffaw out loud.

Back