Ripping of SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akse0435

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

So, I've recently bought some hybrid SACDs, with boath a CD and a SACD layer. I have no equipment to play the SACD layer, so I'm looking for a way to rip it to my computer, either as flac files directly, or as an iso file, which I can then convert to flac. I've installed a plug-in in Foobar2000, which can convert a SACD iso to flac files, but I just can't seem to find a drive that can rip the SACD layer. I have an Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray drive, which I use daily, but it can only see the CD layer. It's the only thing I've tried, that this drive can't rip. So my question is, what can I do to rip a SACD?

Also, I read somewhere, that you could use a specific Playstation model or something, with a specific firmware, but is that really the only option, and in which case, what schould I look out for? It just seems very, very od to me that sutch a popular medium can't be ripped by a computer.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards:
Aksel Christoffersen

The PS3 method is much more difficult. The easiest way currently is to use an inexpensive and easy to find Sony or several other brands that have a certain MediaTek decoder chip. This has been well hacked and the methodology is probably here and if not you can find it at HiFi Haven. Also a very pleasant internet group.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/
One of the moderators over there MikeyFresh helps each and every person get started doing it thus the thread is very long. All you have to do is read the first one or two pages. Then buy one of the BluRay players on the list and download the software and away you go. Much easier than Finding a PS3 of a particular vintage , with particular firmware. The procedure is very easy once you get everything beaten into submission.

Thank you for all the replies so fare. I would preffer to rip boath the stereo and surround tracks, but surround is most important to me, because I already have the stereo on the CD layer.

Thank you for the DBA link, but I think I'll see if I can find a bit cheaper one, but if I can't, I could be very interested in this one.

So it's only related to playing the iso-file, and not to the rip process itself? If that's the case, it schouldn't be a problem.

I was just worried that I ended up buying a player, and then found out that it could only rip the stereo tracks.

My experience, and what I had to do, was to purchase an OPPO 105, that I only use for ripping SACD's with the SONORE software, a bit complicated. The PDF I attached is very helpful. The SACD rip in stereo or MCH is flawless.
Post # 2 MKT seems like a good, inexpensive option.
Welcome my brother from Denmark. my Great Grandmother was born in Allerslev, south of Copenhagen.

Attachments

• Ripping SACDs using an Oppo 103 or 105 (3).pdf
    38 KB · Views: 91
So I can safely use the solution from post #2 and still get all tracks, if I just purchase a player from the list?

So it's only related to playing the iso-file, and not to the rip process itself? If that's the case, it schouldn't be a problem.

I was just worried that I ended up buying a player, and then found out that it could only rip the stereo tracks.
Its also down to the chip set in the player, so my with Oppo 103 I can rip the stereo/surround from SACDs (I have to confess I haven't done any! :oops:), but with my Oppo 203 I can't.

The Hi Rez stereo tracks on the hi rez section of of an SACD are just as "unrippable" (compared to the CD layer) as the multi channel tracks.
Both require one of the players from the list and the use of the software. (CD layer can be ripped with EAC or dBPowerAmp)
The software is required for the ripping action regardless of whether ripping two channel or multi channel hi res. The software gives you a choice of formats to rip to and you can also convert after the fact. (iirc)

If you purchase a BluRay player from the list , especially a Sony, if the rip software works fine, it has been suggested to NOT update the firmware because they may "correct" the oversight that made this method possible. I don't think there are reports of it happening but I have seen it discussed and it makes some sense.

OK, so I think I'll look into buying a used player, that is menchoned on the list, at the start of NeXT month, and I think I'll just write here, if I have questions about buying a specific model.

Thank you all for the help.

No. It is a GUI that helps you use sacd_extract.exe to (1) rip the ISO from the SACD and (2) extract the DSD files from the ISO. Without the GUI, you would have to use command-lines for this.
There is a newer and better alternative: SACDExtractGUI

Back