ROLL CALL: Who has surround sound in their car(s)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac146/allaroundsurround/
Yes DVD Audio:51banana: 5.1 MLP dts DD 13 speaker Kicker, 10"Sub in the trunk 320 watt amp. behind the Driver side wheel. CD-dts DVD-Audio and Video. I did some work to the car Added Sequential tail lights. Like the old CougarsThe blink from the center out 1 2 3 Thrid Brake light pulser flahses real quick to get your attention That this car is coming to a stop. 60mph to 0 in 115 feet. It stops real quick Brembo 6 piston Brake calipers front and rear. It goes to, 392 rear, top end is 178mph. Sat / Nav, sunroof.I bought the Cervini Ram Air kit to make the 2 Hood scoops fully functional to its own cold air box. K&N Air filter Oil catch can keeps the oil in the PCV system from getting into the intake. I get lots of looks and nice ride, Even from The P.D. They love it. I do have to work on the Ram Air, has some problems from the Maker but that will be fixed soon. The Video is 5.1 Sony HD Handy Cam. First time I used it after The Big 4th Snow storm we had. I'll be adding more video soon.

The good news is I leased a Buick Lacross in March and it sounds very good. Dvd Audio, DTS and DD 5.1. The bad news is a few weeks after I received the car I fell down a flight of stairs and shattered my ankle. So there my new car sits in the driveway totally unreachable until about Labor Day. This is also the reason I have not posted recently. Just starting to get up and around. I do have hundreds of unopened surround titles that I never got around to listening to so at least I will be in surround sound heaved in the house all summer. Can't wait to get off meds so I could have a beer.

Holy Cow! That sucks, Phil!

My wife broke her ankle in a car accident, then a month or so later, fell down the stairs and broke the other ankle!!! With 2 broken ankles, it was nursing home for 2.5 months! BE CAREFUL and protect that other ankle!! :D

Nice to hear about the car. Glad it sounds good.

Hello. So, QQ'rs. Can I get a very rough estimate of what the costs would be for me to get a DVD-A/DTS/DLPII capable system? Camry Solara. Not outrageous, but very capable. And probable bump up from factory speakers. Any comments would be very much appreciated. Since I went surround, I only play 2 channel in my car (and now rarely purchase any 2 channel CD's for that matter). When I'm at home, it's close to 100% 5.1 DVD-A/SACD/DTS (with a rare DLPII CD listen). Thanks to anyone and all for your assistance. PR

Finally I can respond to the original post in this thread.

What year, make and model of car: 1966 Volvo 122s 2-door

Did you install it yourself (if not factory installed): Sure did. What a project.

What surround formats can you play: SACD, DVD-V (Dolby Digital and DTS), DTS-CD, Dolby Pro-logic

How would you rate the system, and would you recommend it to others: I love the system in my car. Couldn't be happier.

I'm running the Sony SACD (DV-2000) head unit through a 5 channel Boston Acoustics GTA-1005 amp. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GTA-1005-P613.aspx

In the rear of the car sits a pair of Boston Acoustics SC95 6*9s. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SC95-P587.aspx

In the front I run a component pair of Boston Acoustics SC50. The tweeters are mounted on the windscreen trim. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/SC50-P582.aspx

For the sub I have a 10" Boston Acoustics G210 in the trunk. http://www.bostonacoustics.com/G210-P571.aspx

I have yet to install the center channel, though I have a speaker and amp ready to go. It's just a matter of finding the right place to put it.

I can post pictures if there is interest. This install took almost a week start to finish! I basically had to re-engineer the inside of the car for audio (as it originally came with only a single speaker tucked up under the dash for the AM radio.) I'm really pleased with the results.

Dylan,

That sounds awesome! Pictures would be sweet!

Acura TL 2006, can play DVD-A and DTS audio
With a fantastic disc, I love it, even though for sheer audio quality, I would only give it a B-

Acura TL 2006, can play DVD-A and DTS audio
With a fantastic disc, I love it, even though for sheer audio quality, I would only give it a B-
I've always loved Acura's sound in my MDX, but I have always regretted their decision to disable standard DVD playback in their DVD-A players. This means that there's no way to listen to the audio track of a standard DVD, unfortunately. (For the MDX, the solution is to add a separate rear seat entertainment system, which gives you a second dash mounted disc player that will play back the audio from a standard DVD, but this option isn't offered for the TL, RDX, or RL.)

I like the fact that Acura is perhaps the only auto company to allow you to adjust the volume of the center channel separately.

I've recently replaced my Genesis with a 2012 Hyundai Equus; it too has the Lexicon 17-speaker system that plays back DVD-A, DTS, and the audio tracks of DVD discs, and allows (and remembers) separate sound adjustments for each type of disc, as well as for standard CD and for the iPod input. It also has the best sound playback for XM radio I've found so far, and offers great 7.1 surround synthesis from a two channel source.

I've recently replaced my Genesis with a 2012 Hyundai Equus; it too has the Lexicon 17-speaker system that plays back DVD-A, DTS, and the audio tracks of DVD discs, and allows (and remembers) separate sound adjustments for each type of disc, as well as for standard CD and for the iPod input. It also has the best sound playback for XM radio I've found so far, and offers great 7.1 surround synthesis from a two channel source.

I'm extremely jealous, that car looks sweet. I'm still wishing for a Genesis myself, just can't afford it right now :(

Just completed the install of the Sony MEXDV2200 head unit into my Toyota Avalon. Plays SACD, DTS/Dolby, DPLll for CD & DVD & aux in (front panel) for MP3 (Zune player). Using the existing speaker system (9 speaker factory set-up) - just added an 8" Kicker Sub installed under the rear deck as an "infinite baffle" - powered by a Kenwood 350W amp (using the Sony's built amp for the rest). The only real difficulty with the install was figuring out the wiring of the Metra adapter cable to maintain the temperature controls/display via the old head unit (now tucked away in the trunk wheel well). Everything works exactly as it should (to my surprise). I'm very pleased with the sound - a major upgrade with a minimum of modification to my vehicle - and quite reasonable from a cost perpective too! (y)

Has anyone heard anything more about the Scheiner surround tracks he's been mixing of modern bands like Band of Horses and Ozomatli? There are videos on the Acura site showing him in the studio with the artists. I'm guessing these are for an Acura demo disc but can't find any info about it at all. I remember seeing a post mentioning this at QQ but couldn't find it.

http://www.acura.com/ELSSoundSystem.aspx

Mitsubishi Outlander VRX 2010 (Australia)
Fitted with MMCS (Rockford Fosgate) system as standard equipment on the VRX model.
Front player plays CD, DVD-V (dts and Dolby Digital), MP3 and has direct iPod connectivity via an interface cable (in stereo only , obviously) et al.
Rear DVD player plays dts, Dolby Digital and DVD-Audio (MLP). The sound can be directed to and controlled by the front in-dash system.

Has anyone heard anything more about the Scheiner surround tracks he's been mixing of modern bands like Band of Horses and Ozomatli? There are videos on the Acura site showing him in the studio with the artists. I'm guessing these are for an Acura demo disc but can't find any info about it at all. I remember seeing a post mentioning this at QQ but couldn't find it.

http://www.acura.com/ELSSoundSystem.aspx

I don't foresee any new demo discs coming from Acura in the near future. There just isn't enough new material for another demo disc.

What's more upsetting is that I think that Band of Horses will have the dvd-a in a much more expensive deluxe boxset, if it comes out at all. No thanks for me. If they would release the dvd-a in a more affodable package, then I would definitely be willing to purchase the music. For me $18-$28 is reasonable.

I still have hope that more bands will join Rush, Trent Reznor, and Porcupine Tree in giving hirez consumers what we want.

I don't foresee any new demo discs coming from Acura in the near future. There just isn't enough new material for another demo disc.

What's more upsetting is that I think that Band of Horses will have the dvd-a in a much more expensive deluxe boxset, if it comes out at all. No thanks for me. If they would release the dvd-a in a more affodable package, then I would definitely be willing to purchase the music. For me $18-$28 is reasonable.

I still have hope that more bands will join Rush, Trent Reznor, and Porcupine Tree in giving hirez consumers what we want.

My impression from the video is that BOH only did one song with ES, as did Ozomatli, so I am thinking it would be some sort of surround compilation. With it being an Acura link, an Acura demo disc seems to make the most sense. I guess we'll see.

I agree with your comment re Rush, Reznor, and PT. Sad to note that new stereo-only albums keep coming out from previous surround artists like Flaming Lips, REM, and Paul Simon.:(

Back