HiRez Poll Rush - HEMISPHERES [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Rush - HEMISPHERES

• Total voters
Can anybody answer how this mix compares to Chyki's previous Rush mixes?
I thought Signals and Fly By Night were ok by his standards.

Can anybody answer how this mix compares to Chyki's previous Rush mixes?
I thought Signals and Fly By Night were ok by his standards.
I go in to some depth on my YouTube channel, Life in Surround. To sum, this mix sucks compared to his previous efforts.
Check out my video "Trouble with the Trees," if you have time and interest in video reviews.

I go in to some depth on my YouTube channel, Life in Surround. To sum, this mix sucks compared to his previous efforts.
Check out my video "Trouble with the Trees," if you have time and interest in video reviews.
Will do,thanks.
Really upset to read this is on the crappy side, at least Amazon have a returns policy so I can try it out.

Will do,thanks.
Really upset to read this is on the crappy side, at least Amazon have a returns policy so I can try it out.
La Villa isn't so bad, I guess. But that's only like 1/4 of the material. I hope you find something to enjoy and an easy return experience if it doesn't cut it for you!

Screenshot_2019-01-29 Rush Hemispheres 40th Anniversary.png
Huh??
There is definitely some different opinions out there!

Last edited:
The 5.1 remix is some of the worst mixing I've heard. If someone states the opposite but says the mixes of the additional live material is the worst ever... Good grief! This is all just incredibly insulting to this music. The original stereo mix has been available in HD for a while now and sounds wonderful. Buy and celebrate that!

Screenshot_2019-01-29 Your Orders.png

So this price i paid yesterday still isn't worth it? lmao.
I guess it might be going back if opinions are that divisive.
Still, im intrigued enough to want to hear it.

Well that was interesting! Did i enjoy the listening experience? Yes and no.
Sadly i have to return it as it's THE most unorthodox mix i have heard.
I wanted to give it a 10 but it's just not good enough imho.
There are some great effects here and there but i feel Chyki has messed with it too much, especially the vocals.
Why is so much coming through the center channel? That's just odd.
Im not saying it's shit, just different. Steven Wilson's mix of AFTK suits that album perfectly and i feel he would have done the same for Hemispheres.
The visual content is 10/10, it was great to watch the old promo videos with better audio.
Oh well......

Well that was interesting! Did i enjoy the listening experience? Yes and no.
Sadly i have to return it as it's THE most unorthodox mix i have heard.
There are some great effects here and there but i feel Chyki has messed with it too much, especially the vocals.
Why is so much coming through the center channel? That's just odd.
The visual content is 10/10, it was great to watch the old promo videos with better audio.
Oh well......
Very interesting take on the mix. Where do you hear a lot of vocal in the center? The only center vocal I hear isolated in the center is faint and sounds like it's in a football stadium bathroom stall, though I only deeply examined The Trees.
I think the promo videos were nice, especially La Villa, but the visual content during the album annoying. The brain museum got old real fast, for me, and lasts the whole album, compared to AFtK 40th, which had suitable art for each song.

Very interesting take on the mix. Where do you hear a lot of vocal in the center? The only center vocal I hear isolated in the center is faint and sounds like it's in a football stadium bathroom stall, though I only deeply examined The Trees.
I think the promo videos were nice, especially La Villa, but the visual content during the album annoying. The brain museum got old real fast, for me, and lasts the whole album, compared to AFtK 40th, which had suitable art for each song.
No, not vocals just Minimoog, guitar solo's and bass which was way too back in the mix for me. Really difficult to hear Geddy Lee's playing which i always enjoy.
I would have sent the Minimoog and guitar solo's out to the surrounds myself and vocals to the center but who am i? A failed experiment.

No, not vocals just Minimoog, guitar solo's and bass which was way too back in the mix for me. Really difficult to hear Geddy Lee's playing which i always enjoy.
I would have sent the Minimoog and guitar solo's out to the surrounds myself and vocals to the center but who am i?
You are someone who enjoy's surround sound (unlike Rich Chyki).

I would have sent the Minimoog and guitar solo's out to the surrounds myself and vocals to the center but who am i? A failed experiment.
Ok, that makes more sense! I might have misread a line or two.
My biggest gripes, other than badly buried vocals, and often too quiet (Oberheim) or too loud (Moog, guitar solos) parts, are that Chycki didn't meet his publicly stated mission of expanding on the stereo experience and that this mix is less effective than his mediocre previous attempts.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Ok, that makes more sense! I might have misread a line or two.
My biggest gripes, other than badly buried vocals, and often too quiet (Oberheim) or too loud (Moog, guitar solos) parts, are that Chycki didn't meet his publicly stated mission of expanding on the stereo experience and that this mix is less effective than his mediocre previous attempts.

I agree.
I still had to hear it just out of curiosity.
I did buy the vinyl so I don't feel too bad.
He just messed with it too much I feel.
I don't hate the guy, I just wish you know who could have mixed it.

I don't hate the guy, I just wish you know who could have mixed it.
No hate here, though I honestly wonder if he's even heard the commercial Blu-ray and how close the final master sounds to the mix he signed off.
I'd be more or less happy if his Hemi were even up to par with his AFtK or Fly By Night.
Why the regression, instead of progression? I'm not sure experimentation explains it, though maybe.

Back