Rush is releasing 2112 in 5.1 surround - available on Amazon for pre-order

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Barrow

Below is taken from the Rush.com website.

Unfortunately, it is not clear whether the DVD-Audio 5.1 mix is in 96kHz or 48kHz in which case will need to buy the Blu-ray but I prefer DVD-Audio for my particular setup. When someone buys the DVD-Audio, can they confirm the bit-rate please?

Monday, November 12th, 2012
JUST IN TIME FOR DECEMBER 21/12 – Deluxe Editions of 2112
In time for 21/12 celebrations,
Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) will release deluxe editions of Rush’s landmark album 2112 that will feature 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes, Unreleased Live Tracks and the First Ever Rush Comic Book, available globally starting December 18, 2012.

There will be 3 configurations of 2112: DELUXE EDITIONS (CD/DVD and CD/Blu-Ray) and a special SUPER DELUXE EDITION (CD/Blu-Ray/Hardbound book case).
The deluxe editions contain a CD/DVD or CD/Blu-Ray material including the remastered 2112 CD with 3 live bonus tracks and a DVD or Blu-ray™ disc with a 5.1 surround sound audio mix and an interactive digital comic book, a new album cover by original album designer Hugh Syme, liner notes and unpublished photos.

The super deluxe contains the CD/Blu-Ray and is meticulously assembled in a hardbound bookcase packed with a 40-page comic book representing every song on 2112.

2112: SUPER DELUXE EDITION

2 DISC: CD + BLU-RAY version
Housed in a hardbound book with a 40 page comic book by story artist Tom Hodges (Star Wars “The Clone Wars,” The Simpson’s “Treehouse of Horrors #17″) and a 24 page book with expanded artwork, liner notes, lyrics and unreleased photos. New liner notes written by David Fricke, Rolling Stone.

2112: DELUXE EDITIONS (DVD Version and Blu-Ray Version):

2 DISC: CD + DVD AUDIO/VIDEO

2 DISC: CD + BLU-RAY

Expanded artwork, liner notes, lyrics and unreleased photos by original album designer Hugh Syme. Brand new liner notes by David Fricke, Rolling Stone.

CD – Digitally remastered plus 3 unreleased bonus live tracks:
- Overture (Northland Coliseum, Edmonton, AB – June 25, 1981)
- The Temples of Syrinx (Northland Coliseum, Edmonton, AB – June 25, 1981)
- A Passage To Bangkok (Manchester Apollo, Manchester, England – June 17, 1980)

DVD AUDIO/VIDEO AND BLU-RAY CONTAIN:
- Digital Comic Book – experience the comic book formatted for widescreen televisions during playback of the album.
- Photo Gallery – unreleased photos and handwritten lyrics by Neil Peart

DVD AUDIO/VIDEO SPECS:
-5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in PCM (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital (DVD-Video players)
- 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo (DVD-Audio players) and 48kHz / 24-bit Dolby Digital Stereo (DVD-Video players)

BLU-RAY SPECS:
-5.1 Surround Sound mix by Richard Chycki in 96kHz / 24-bit PCM and DTS-HD Master Audio
- 96kHz / 24-bit PCM Stereo

“Every album is a point in Rush’s history,” Geddy Lee said in 1978. “And if it’s not getting better, something’s wrong. Every album has to be the perfect Rush album.”

“The first record,” Alex Lifeson says about 2112, “where we sounded like Rush.”

“2112 is, more than anything, a record about being Rush: loving music, moving it forward and taking it to the world, whatever the price. And it is perfect.” – David Fricke

Originally released in 1976, Rush’s epic, landmark release 2112 was their creative and commercial breakthrough as well as one of the band’s most highly regarded releases among both fans and critics alike. With lyrics written by Neil Peart, and influenced by author Ayn Rand, 2112 kicks off with the ambitious seven-suite title track (side one), set in a futuristic world run by the “Priests of the Temples of Syrinx” who regulate “every single facet of every life,” which includes books, music, work and play. “2112” conveys the story of humanity’s instinctual, inner need for one’s free will.

After the mythological journey through “2112,” side two brings you back to the present and continues with five stand-alone tracks. From hard-rocking tracks such as “A Passage to Bangkok,” “Lessons,” and a trip to into the fourth dimension with “The Twilight Zone,” to the album’s soaring conclusion, “Something For Nothing,” 2112 is the album that ushered in the next stage in their continuing evolution as artists.

Wow. 96 vs 48kHz PCM is what matters now? :rolleyes:

If both are available, then when paying a premium for the definitive version I want the best quality otherwise might as well listen to the CD. It's just that my Blu-ray player is a lot more cumbersome to power up and play than the DVD-Audio player and requires the use of the TV to navigate!

I think it is just a typo on the announcement (as why wouldn't it be 96kHz) but just want to make sure.

If both are available, then when paying a premium for the definitive version I want the best quality otherwise might as well listen to the CD. It's just that my Blu-ray player is a lot more cumbersome to power up and play than the DVD-Audio player and requires the use of the TV to navigate!
May as well listen to the CD? Is it equal to 24 bit / 48 kHz?

May as well listen to the CD? Is it equal to 24 bit / 48 kHz?

It's also no guarantee the audio will be 'better' or even 'good' in the first place. You can squash the dynamics out of a recording just as easily at 24bits/96kHz as you can at Redbook spec. You can screw up the EQ must the same, no problem. You can make a bad remix just as easily too. THOSE are what listeners should fret about if anything, not whether the sample rate is high enough.

You can squash the dynamics out of a recording just as easily at 24bits/96kHz as you can at Redbook spec. You can screw up the EQ must the same, no problem. You can make a bad remix just as easily too.

Like the Frampton Comes Alive DVD-A

Either you don't get it or you are on the wrong forum :rolleyes:
How can the CD give you the (never before released) 5.1 mix?

Man you all are relentless! I think John was just exaggerating to prove a point. If the Blu-Ray is 24bit/96, why not get it instead of a 24/48 DVD-Audio. If all else were equal, that is what I would do as well. The cue time of the Blu-Ray, and the extra 10 bucks, sway me back to the DVD-A which is what I in fact have on order. I still hope it is 24/96. Would I hear the difference? Probably not, but still prefer it.

Either you don't get it or you are on the wrong forum :rolleyes:
How can the CD give you the (never before released) 5.1 mix?

Please excuse the reference to 'CD' - it was only mentioned to focus on the bit-rate. I am an avid Quad/Surround fan and wish that all music existed with a choice. Much effort is put into film soundtracks to provide a rich experience in 5.1, why not music? Anyway, that is a discussion for another day.

Anyway, my original post was only intended to :-

(a) flag up the 2112 was now in 5.1 so supporters of Rush can get something special for Xmas and
(b) Vent my frustration at the ambiguity of some press releases that if a simple grammer check had been carried out then they would realise that they have missed out a vital bit of information. This post is therefore a request for information for anyone who will order the DVD version regardless.

If they do only release it in 48kHz then it would be frustrating as they are not using the full potential that DVD-Audio can support (especially as a 96kHz is available).

I could order it on the off-chance and then return it if it wasn't 96kHz but would rather avoid the hassle.

Thanks 'MyCuff' - hit the nail on the head.

"There will be 3 configurations of 2112: DELUXE EDITIONS (CD/DVD and CD/Blu-Ray) and a special SUPER DELUXE EDITION (CD/Blu-Ray/Industry laundromat with hardbound owner's manual)."

I would buy this within a minute...

-Kristian

If they do only release it in 48kHz then it would be frustrating as they are not using the full potential that DVD-Audio can support (especially as a 96kHz is available).

i ordered BD-A but have no doubt, the source audio and visual is the same for both. just doesn't make
sense downgrade resolution of audio stream for DVD-A when both formats can handle it just fine.

It the past Rush surround titles are any indication, the issue won't be the sampling rate but the mix. I'll take a great mix in DTS over a crappy mix in lossless 24/96 any day. You can't shine shit.

It the past Rush surround titles are any indication, the issue won't be the sampling rate but the mix. I'll take a great mix in DTS over a crappy mix in lossless 24/96 any day. You can't shine shit.

I endorse the above statement.

soundwise quality i prefer "Moving Pictures" so far. in regards of mixing - they are pretty equal with own up and down moments.
"2112" i'm expecting to be better due to more hard rock riffs and less synths usage. but in any case i welcome any and all as long
as it's a lossless surround and without crippled by shitty mastering sound.

For sure. I struggle with the Blu Ray vs dvd as well. Love my Tom Petty Damn The Torps blu ray but hate the slow menu et al. How much more can we really hear? It's done by the same cat that did the Sectors box. Pity Mr Wilson didn't get the nod on this one. He does fantastic work. (As does DKA, SHOUT OUT!) That said, I can not wait to hear that opening synth in true surround; probably listen to it one more time in fake surround just to get it out of my system. Any extra visuals is/are icing on a long awaited cake.

Re; shining shit.
Dennis Miller had a great quote about that (sort of). Basically, he ripped on those that offer "two for one" on an inferior product. "Hey pal, two of shit is still shit!"

But hey, we get Rush 2112 in surround in a couple of days! Rejoice!

I've had it blind-buying these new surround releases the first day they come out and finding they either have poor surround mixes, or have quality control issues.. so I'm sitting this one out and waiting for others to playtest it for a change!

I've had it blind-buying these new surround releases the first day they come out and finding they either have poor surround mixes, or have quality control issues.. so I'm sitting this one out and waiting for others to playtest it for a change!

Don't blame you for this choice, for me unfortunately Rush are one of my favorite bands and I don't for see that there will be any other surround choice for this album in the future so I will take it warts and all. Signals is the only one so far that made me gag, the other 3 I have enjoyed even though knowing if SW had done them they would have been much better.

I just listened to the whole thing in one sitting and will say without a doubt it is worth getting. It has many moments which stand out. I do not doubt in any way that Mr. Wilson would have done a better job with it. But, that being said, you have never heard 2112 this good. Of that there is no doubt. That being said I can also say that I wish it had been more discreet. There are times when I would have loved to have had more isolation of instruments. Certain parts come across as "Big Stereo". I have the others and I would definitely say it is the better of them. Glad to have it. Will be listening again, at somewhat less volume. And for the record this was the BluRay DTS HD-MA.

Back