RUSH R40 Review (*SPOILER ALERT*)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, let's just say my occupation forbids toking. If I could I bet I'd loooove Rivendell.

Now, Necromancer... holy HELL. That track rips. Especially Under the Shadow. What lit that fire under their asses? They've never rocked that hard before or since.

Nah - doesn't require toking. I really enjoy those slower tracks from back in the day. Also love The Trees.....just my taste.

Lots of good take away from the article, rtb.

Interesting that DB approaches surround first, then folds to stereo (which is also proving to be my personal approach). Opposite of SW.
Also interesting that he doesn't believe in drawing attention to the rears. This makes sense for most live shows. Viewers are used to looking forward at the stage or screen. Rush don't use very many sound effects, like Pink Floyd, which would sound cool broken out to the rears. Still, makes me wonder. I haven't heard of any DB studio 5.1 and if he's just gonna shove ambience back there, maybe it's a good thing.
Good insights on bussing, signal chain and gear.

Lots of good take away from the article, rtb.

Interesting that DB approaches surround first, then folds to stereo (which is also proving to be my personal approach). Opposite of SW.
Also interesting that he doesn't believe in drawing attention to the rears. This makes sense for most live shows. Viewers are used to looking forward at the stage or screen. Rush don't use very many sound effects, like Pink Floyd, which would sound cool broken out to the rears. Still, makes me wonder. I haven't heard of any DB studio 5.1 and if he's just gonna shove ambience back there, maybe it's a good thing.
Good insights on bussing, signal chain and gear.

:(

Hell no. That is boring. Might as well be stereo only.

'David wants the listener to feel as though they are sitting in the best seat in the house, so he always mixes to the audience perspective, which means that the Ls and Rs surround channels are used primarily for the ambience and audience mics'.

^^^^^^^^^ How predictable, same thing engineers that have no idea about surround sound say over and over.

:(

Hell no. That is boring. Might as well be stereo only.

Oh man, don't get me wrong, I loooove the discrete live mixes I've heard (SW), but they're so rare I don't hold my breath for them.
The DB mix of R40 Live sounds amazing, discrete or not. I only wish they'd throw him a concert from their hayday. I've ranted enough about what I don't like about this performance.

I think it depends a lot on who the artist is as well. When it comes to mixing live recordings from RUSH in surround, if I had the opportunity to jump in the mixer's chair and do it myself, the only elements that I could even possibly consider breaking out to the surround channels would be the synthesized elements. I would definitely keep Geddy's bass, Alex's guitar, and Neil's drums together in the front, because together, that forms the RUSH sound, and if you were to split any of those parts from each other, the sound would probably become unglued and fall apart.

As for R40, there isn't much I would change about the mix at all. :)

This is fascinating.
RUSH have a new documentary which will be out in theaters on November 3rd, followed by a DVD/Blu-Ray release on November 18th.
Plus, it appears that the Blu-Ray will have an unreleased (partial) concert film from the "Presto" tour included as well.
Here's the Blu-Ray preorder link on amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Time-Stand-Still-Blu-ray-Rush/dp/B01MF60BL0/

Editorial Reviews
'Rush built their following the right way. No hype, no b@llsh!t, they did it from the ground up. Their legacy is incredible and their influence undeniable.' - Dave Grohl

This feature-length documentary film chronicles the final major tour for legendary rock band Rush. It is an intimate view 'under the hood' of a historic moment from the perspective of the band, their fans, crew, and management. Featuring interviews with the band throughout their sold-out 2015 40th Anniversary tour, the film also shows rarely seen backstage footage capturing the final moments of life on the road. Highlighted as well is the impact on the band's fans and the world that has been built around the beloved Canadian trio. This is the final touring chapter of a band that has meant so much to so many fans around the world. With narration by Paul Rudd. Running time: 1 hour 37 minutes of documentary footage with an additional 67 minutes of never-before-released bonus content.

'It's true that Rush doesn't mean today what it did in '76 or even '96. It may mean more.' - Rolling Stone

Track Listing:
When I Was a Kid
It's a Really Hard Life
A Huge Accomplishment
Building R40
Fan-Tastic
Hello Toronto
'Ride On' Neil
Your Weakest Point
Marathon Not a Sprint
At Road's End

BONUS CONTENT: (NEVER BEFORE RELEASED)

'Live from the Rabbit Hole'
-Subdivisions
-Superconductor
-Show Don't Tell
-The Pass
-Closer to the Heart
-Manhattan Project
-Scars
-War Paint
-Tom Sawyer
-2112: Overture / La Villa Strangiato / In The Mood

The Professor's Warmup

http://www.rushtimestandstill.com

[video=youtube;ykGIq_fBa3U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykGIq_fBa3U[/video]

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ8s71ziS4U&spfreload=10

:)

I thoroughly enjoyed the cinema broadcast of "Time Stand Still" last night, RUSH's new documentary on the R40 tour, and it got me thinking, what is it about classic prog bands coming to an end in the city of angels (Los Angeles)?

The documentary did spend a lot of time towards the end talking about RUSH's final concert at the Forum in L.A. but it was only until later on that I realized the significance of Los Angeles and the end of classic prog bands there.

Besides RUSH, Genesis played their final shows (for now…) in 2007 at the Hollywood Bowl, and Yes played their final US concert with all 5 classic members (Jon, Chris, Steve, Rick & Alan) in 2004 at Universal City just outside of L.A. (followed by a single concert in Mexico City)

Anyway, getting back to RUSH, the end of the film was very emotional, and after seeing the film, I truly believe that RUSH is over. There won't be any more albums or live performances.

It's sad, but I'm happy that I got to experience as many great concerts from them as I did. R40 was an especially amazing show, and I'm grateful for the fact that they all agreed to go out there one more time, cause it was truly awesome! :)

I read all the amazon reviews and your review about the cinema show but no one mentioned how the surround sounded?

I'm trying to get a feel for how the blu-ray dolby surround will sound.

I read all the amazon reviews and your review about the cinema show but no one mentioned how the surround sounded?

I'm trying to get a feel for how the blu-ray dolby surround will sound.

It's a documentary, so it does not have an immersive surround mix. It's very dialogue-centered, with music primarily in the front channels, but there is a little bit of wrap-around to the surrounds.

Back