RUSH R40 Review (*SPOILER ALERT*)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
RUSH are without a doubt my favorite band to hear live in concert. Before last night's R40 show in New Orleans, I had been to three RUSH tours before that (with two performances caught on the Time Machine Tour where they performed all of "Moving Pictures" live), but none of those shows fully prepared me for what I heard and witnessed last night.

---SPOILERS BELOW---

RUSH delivered a truly unique experience by starting with three of their newest songs off "Clockwork Angels" before slowly working their way back in reverse chronological order covering another 14 of their 20 studio albums. It was a very daring concept as it meant that the audience didn't really hear a classic RUSH hit until the very end of the first hour of the show. On a personal note, I also had to hear "Far Cry" for the 5th time. It's a great song, but I'm convinced they have sufficiently beat that song to death since its premiere on the Snakes & Arrows tour, but thankfully after the first 5 songs of the set, things started to get a little more interesting from then on.
I got to hear two of my favorite RUSH songs from the 90s that I had never heard them perform at any of the other shows I went to. The former was a blistering version of "Animate" from Counterparts, and the latter was "Roll the Bones", complemented by an amazing video of A-list RUSH fans miming along to the skeleton rap in the middle. It provided one of the many humorous moments throughout a show of hardcore prog music.
Two songs from the 80s synth albums followed ("Between the Wheels" and "Subdivisions") before they took a 20 min break.

"Tom Sawyer" began the first half and was swiftly followed by an unbelievable performance of "The Camera Eye" (my favorite RUSH song). "The Spirit of Radio" was performed after that before RUSH unveiled the first major surprise of the evening…"JACOB'S LADDER". To say I was shocked to hear this one was an understatement as they haven't performed it in close to 35 years. From that point on, RUSH had their show set to STUN mode. Next up was a whole lot of Cygnus X-1, starting with the Prelude from "Hemispheres" before performing an instrumental version of "Cygnus X-1 Book 1" from A Farewell to Kings, complete with an incredible Neil Peart drum solo in the middle. "Closer to the Heart" followed that before both Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson strapped on double-neck guitars to perform "Xanadu" in one of the most incredible displays of virtuosity from all three members I have ever witnessed. The only thing left for this second half was selections from "2112", including a somewhat rare performance of the "Presentation" section.

Now one thing I should talk about before going on to the encore was the (de)evolution of the stage setup as the show progressed. The show began with a setup very similar to the 'back line' they had for the Clockwork Angels tour. As the first half went on, that was replaced by traditional amplifiers on Alex's side and the clothes dryers on Geddy's side. Then when they came on stage for the second half, each side contained huge stacks of amplifiers that slowly widdled their way down by the time "2112" came along.

The encore began with "LAKESIDE PARK" and "ANTHEM" utilizing a very simple stage and lighting setup before the video screen behind them became an image of a high school gymnasium for the final performances of "WHAT YOU'RE DOING" and "Working Man" from the first album.

Now, why did I take the time to post this very long review? It's very simple. If you are a RUSH fan that especially lives in North America, you MUST find a way to make it out to one of the 25 or so remaining shows on this 2015 tour. I firmly believe that with the possible extension of the tour into 2016, this will be the last time RUSH will ever tour, so do yourself a favor and get to one of these performances while you still can, for once it's over, I truly believe they will call it a day and ride off into the sunset of retirement.

(Thanks for reading!) :)

I'm bringing this thread back up to say that for those of you who aren't a fan of Rich Chycki's mixing for RUSH releases, this news should come as a great surprise and thrill to you!

The 2 concerts in Toronto were recorded for a future CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release, and the person at the recording and mixing helm is none other than David Bottrill!

http://www.davidbottrill.com

So for those of you who have skipped out on other RUSH DVD & Blu-Ray releases, maybe this will be one to dive back into again! :)

That is indeed great news. The best-sounding release from Rush in AGES is Vapor Trails Remix. My only gripe is they didn't do 5.1 for it.
That album is so layered, even Bottrill's relatively stripped-down approach, that it is just BEGGING for it.

I haven't really been a big fan since the Moving Pictures album. Lots of things to like here and there but no whole album heavy hitters like FBN thru MP. Still some of my favorite albums. :D

I've got to say your review makes me truly feel like I'm missing something this time around!

I still prefer Terry Brown's mixes FWIW. They sure blow away the amateur hour messes that were those 5.1 remixes. (I'm sorry but again... a surround mix should NOT sound smaller and less detailed than a stereo mix!)

Yes good news in deed. As this was my first time seeing Rush on this tour this will be a must buy so having a nice 5.1 recording would just be icing on the cake.
Do we have any examples of Dave Bottrill doing 5.1?

I haven't really been a big fan since the Moving Pictures album. Lots of things to like here and there but no whole album heavy hitters like FBN thru MP. Still some of my favorite albums. :D

I've got to say your review makes me truly feel like I'm missing something this time around!

I still prefer Terry Brown's mixes FWIW. They sure blow away the amateur hour messes that were those 5.1 remixes. (I'm sorry but again... a surround mix should NOT sound smaller and less detailed than a stereo mix!)

You definitely missed a great tour as it's now over, and there's no guarantee that it will be extended into next year.
Plus, those of you who experienced R40 in Toronto, NJ, NY, Vancouver, and L.A. got to hear "Losing It" performed live with a solo electric violin player, and that in itself to me is worth the price of admission alone! :)

One other thought on R40 for now is this:

150801farewell.jpg

I think one of the best captions for this picture should be: "A Farewell from Kings"
This one was taken at the last show in Los Angeles.
Now normally Neil Peart waves quickly to the audience and then dashes off stage, but that final night of the tour in Los Angeles was definitely a special moment for all of them, so that's why Neil decided to make it even more special by joining the other two in a collective bow to close out the night and the tour.
Not to mention that before the "Garden Road" teaser at the very end of the show, Neil stood up from his kit with a camera and took two pictures of the audience along with pictures of both Geddy and Alex before closing out the final 30 secs of R40.
I was watching it live on Periscope, and it was tough to not get emotional seeing all that happen.
If it is truly the end, I can't think of a more fitting finale. :)

I concur this was a magnificent show. I caught it in San Jose and Las Vegas.
I was a bit disappointed that my 1st set each night was exactly the same AND the songs that could have been swapped out were not my favorite of the choices. Oh well.
It was worth it simply for Jacob's Ladder. The rest was a bonus.
I am a big, BIG Rush fan and I still found the first set tedious. There is just something more engaging about their classic stuff.
It was a daring set concept - just wish they'd asked me what songs to play from each of the newer albums!

Clockwork Angels
Headlong Flight
Earthshine
Vapor Trail
Half the World
Animate
Roll the Bones
Available Light
Losing It
Subdivisions

would have done it for me!

I was a bit disappointed that my 1st set each night was exactly the same AND the songs that could have been swapped out were not my favorite of the choices. Oh well.
I am a big, BIG Rush fan and I still found the first set tedious. There is just something more engaging about their classic stuff.
It was a daring set concept - just wish they'd asked me what songs to play from each of the newer albums!

Clockwork Angels
Headlong Flight
Earthshine
Vapor Trail
Half the World
Animate
Roll the Bones
Available Light
Losing It
Subdivisions

I caught the LA show and totally agree about Jacob's Ladder! I'll bet there are entire websites dedicated to "Rush Dream Setlists"!! Mine would include La Villa Strangiata as well.

Clockwork Angels
Headlong Flight
Earthshine
Vapor Trail
Half the World
Animate
Roll the Bones
Available Light
Losing It
Subdivisions

No "Anarchist" in that list? Honestly, that was probably the most kick ass opener I think they could have possibly picked from "Clockwork Angels", so I'm glad they went with it! "The Main Monkey Business" would still be in my list too as they always need a great instrumental for each set.
At the show I went to in New Orleans, I would have swapped out "The Wreckers" for "Clockwork Angels" and "Between the Wheels" for "Distant Early Warning", not to mention that I would have thrown out the extra "Clockwork Angels" song altogether for "Losing It", but that would have been too unlikely for a city like New Orleans.

If they decide to extend the tour into next year (which doesn't really seem that guaranteed at this point), I would hope that I could catch a 'C' (or even an 'A') setlist, so I could hear "Clockwork Angels" and "Distant Early Warning", plus if it's a 'C' setlist, I would get "Natural Science" too, which is a HUGE plus! :)

No "Anarchist" in that list? Honestly, that was probably the most kick ass opener I think they could have possibly picked from "Clockwork Angels", so I'm glad they went with it! "The Main Monkey Business" would still be in my list too as they always need a great instrumental for each set.
At the show I went to in New Orleans, I would have swapped out "The Wreckers" for "Clockwork Angels" and "Between the Wheels" for "Distant Early Warning", not to mention that I would have thrown out the extra "Clockwork Angels" song altogether for "Losing It", but that would have been too unlikely for a city like New Orleans.

If they decide to extend the tour into next year (which doesn't really seem that guaranteed at this point), I would hope that I could catch a 'C' (or even an 'A') setlist, so I could hear "Clockwork Angels" and "Distant Early Warning", plus if it's a 'C' setlist, I would get "Natural Science" too, which is a HUGE plus! :)

TMMB is cool, but I caught it on the S&A tour. Limbo would have been awesome!
Really, I'd have liked 1 song per album, with fewer album openers, but I'm a hard-core and they have always tried to stay somewhat commercial with their sets - us hard-cores get a bone or two.
Anarchist is cool, but I caught it last tour! HF had the drum solo and is a great statement of their persistence over the years.
Clockwork Angels is just great song-writing.

TMMB is cool, but I caught it on the S&A tour. Limbo would have been awesome!
Really, I'd have liked 1 song per album, with fewer album openers, but I'm a hard-core and they have always tried to stay somewhat commercial with their sets - us hard-cores get a bone or two.
Anarchist is cool, but I caught it last tour! HF had the drum solo and is a great statement of their persistence over the years.
Clockwork Angels is just great song-writing.

I agree about "Clockwork Angels" being a strong piece of song-writing. As a matter of fact, it's my favorite song on that album, but due to the way it starts, I never felt it was as strong of a set opener as "The Anarchist" was, so I'm glad they made the switch after show 1.
The one album omission that was tough to swallow on this tour was a lack of any material at all from "Hold Your Fire". "Power Windows" was very heavily represented on the "Clockwork Angels" tour (with "Marathon" getting into the Time Machine setlist too) so I was fine with them omitting that album. Same goes with "Presto" and "Test for Echo" as I had trouble coming up with songs of theirs that were definitely stronger from those albums than the ones they actually played.

Still, after all that, I felt it was the best RUSH tour and setlist since their return to the stage in 2002, and if that was the end for them, they went out on about as high of a note as they could possibly have mustered, and this RUSH fan is very happy. :)

I just found out that the 2015 R40 Live CD/DVD/Blu-Ray release will be towards the end of November, and a digital single of "Roll the Bones" from the release will be released next Friday! :)

61jx3qoGYgL._SS280.jpg

Attachments

• cover.gif
    cover.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 255
I can't believe one of the greatest live bands of all time have so many Blu Rays out, and they all sound bad.

Aww, come on guys, they are NOT bad...

We're just...spoiled rottten by the yummy mixes rom Steven W, Elliot S, Jakko J, etc....

Let's be fair...

:smokin

The "Roll the Bones" single from this upcoming R40 release is available to purchase digitally from download stores like iTunes and amazon mp3.
You can also stream it on streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify.
Personally, I like the way it sounds, but there's no way I'm not going to buy this eventual Blu-Ray release as R40 was my favorite RUSH concert experience, and I want the film to help remember the great experience. :)

Back