RUSH R40 Review (*SPOILER ALERT*)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww, come on guys, they are NOT bad...

We're just...spoiled rottten by the yummy mixes rom Steven W, Elliot S, Jakko J, etc....

Let's be fair...

:smokin

Well, good and bad are subjective, of course. But, given what I want to hear in concert mixes, Rush vids range from terrible (Time Machine Tour) to decent (R30). Some of the older DVDs actually ain't so bad. A Show of Hands, for instance.
Still, nothing close to the quality this amazing band deserves. Now, at this late period, Ged's voice is also a factor... :(
My reference discs include Peter Gabriel (any I've heard, but I love Athens) and Porcupine Tree Anesthetize and Arriving Somewhere.

Well all of you can now judge for yourself how good this sounds:
[video=youtube;2nlbd1mxt8c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nlbd1mxt8c[/video]

The "Roll the Bones" single from this upcoming R40 release is available to purchase digitally from download stores like iTunes and amazon mp3.
You can also stream it on streaming services like Apple Music and Spotify.

Gah. Ged's yodel of the last several tours and albums has devolved in to a yodel-squeak. If you don't hear it or are not bothered, awesome! Not trying to rain on anybody's parade.

I accept Geddy's voice for what it is. It's pretty remarkable to me that he and the other two guys can play an over 2.5 hr show every night on a tour like this one and still kick ass! Plus from what I heard from this clip and the actual R40 show I was at in New Orleans, I think Geddy's voice was actually better on this tour than it was on the "Clockwork Angels" tour, and he found a way to sing some of the older songs that worked with where his voice is at now.
Finally, I will say that I would much rather go and hear an original singer like Geddy that's still with a classic group like RUSH rather than hear these new singers that these old bands trot out so they can still continue to milk the fatted calf for all it's worth.

Well, good and bad are subjective, of course. But, given what I want to hear in concert mixes, Rush vids range from terrible (Time Machine Tour) to decent (R30). Some of the older DVDs actually ain't so bad. A Show of Hands, for instance.
Still, nothing close to the quality this amazing band deserves. Now, at this late period, Ged's voice is also a factor... :(
My reference discs include Peter Gabriel (any I've heard, but I love Athens) and Porcupine Tree Anesthetize and Arriving Somewhere.

For the most part I agree with your contention that the Rush concerts are poor in the audio sense....I would go even further and say that most of the entire Rush catalog is a major "sonic" disappointment for me...and right now Geddy Lee sounds more like the 62 year old Canadian Gary Lee Weinrib(his real name) instead of the lead vocalist for a famous rock band.....I think most of us that love music find it hard to come to terms with the fact that our favorite singers are losing a step or two....some deal with it better than others...like Elton John and Paul McCartney...they know their limitations(as most good men do:))and play to their strengths and hide their shortcomings with back up singers and revised arrangements...but Geddy's voice is so unique it's hard to hide the weakness when you are in a 3 man band

I also like the R30 blu ray better than the more recent concerts...

If you only ever listen to one live Rush recording - make it Rush 1980-02-14 Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO. This was a radio broadcast. The band currently do not sell this show but instead choose let their fans trade it among themselves.

This isn't a perfect mix. It's not surround sound. It IS not only some very hungry and inspired performance but I believe technically better readings of every last song vs. the studio counterparts. Better performances than any of their more official live releases by magnitudes. The live radio mix and it's decent condition make this more accessible than most 'fan club' recordings.

If you only ever listen to one live Rush recording - make it Rush 1980-02-14 Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO. This was a radio broadcast. The band currently do not sell this show but instead choose let their fans trade it among themselves.

This isn't a perfect mix. It's not surround sound. It IS not only some very hungry and inspired performance but I believe technically better readings of every last song vs. the studio counterparts. Better performances than any of their more official live releases by magnitudes. The live radio mix and it's decent condition make this more accessible than most 'fan club' recordings.

Truth. Their best official live performance, hands-down. Definitive versions of many songs.
Finding a version sourced straight from the Anthem LPs is the way to go. Some of the FM broadcast recordings don't sound very good.

My favourite of their live cds is disc 3 of Different Stages. Excellent tracklisting, great performance!

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nlbd1mxt8c

The sound on this is pretty sweet, based on this could this finally be the elusive proper 5.1 mix from this tour.
I sure hope so as I know this is only youtube but the sound is very clear.

peter

I already posted this YouTube audio clip in this thread a little earlier in the day, but I agree that it sounds pretty sweet and clear, even for YouTube.
This should be a great Blu-Ray release for any RUSH fan as it will feature the very first live recording and performance of their classic song "Losing It" (from "Signals") along with a few other incredible songs from their prog days, like "Jacob's Ladder" and "Xanadu", and a killer encore of early material where it's just the three of them jamming out like there's no tomorrow! Can't wait! :)

I already posted this YouTube audio clip in this thread a little earlier in the day, but I agree that it sounds pretty sweet and clear, even for YouTube.
This should be a great Blu-Ray release for any RUSH fan as it will feature the very first live recording and performance of their classic song "Losing It" (from "Signals") along with a few other incredible songs from their prog days, like "Jacob's Ladder" and "Xanadu", and a killer encore of early material where it's just the three of them jamming out like there's no tomorrow! Can't wait! :)

Ryan, see that you did the earlier post(OOPS), missed that as started work early on only a few hours sleep, you are the "quick draw mcgraw" of posters here.
I know I shouldn't be based on previous surround releases but hope springs eternal and I am also very excited on this release.
I will be buying this regardless of what reviews will be for this as this being my first tour to see Rush live want to relive that excitement of being at the concert.

peter

Here's the premiere video of "Roll the Bones" from the upcoming R40 live release:
[video=youtube;kZmK4PKrJ60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZmK4PKrJ60[/video]

It looks like this will definitely be a much better release than the plagued "Clockwork Angels" live release, so I'm greatly looking forward to this one! :)

UPDATE: Preorder for the 3-CD/Blu-Ray edition of the R40 Live release can be found here

A few things strike me while watching this video.
First, I think the picture quality looks fantastic, even for YouTube.
Second, notice how long most of the shots are. I guess they decided for this release that they didn't need MTV style editing with a cut almost every second or half-second.
This could be shaping up to be the best Blu-Ray concert release of RUSH that there is! :)

I accept Geddy's voice for what it is. It's pretty remarkable to me that he and the other two guys can play an over 2.5 hr show every night on a tour like this one and still kick ass! Plus from what I heard from this clip and the actual R40 show I was at in New Orleans, I think Geddy's voice was actually better on this tour than it was on the "Clockwork Angels" tour, and he found a way to sing some of the older songs that worked with where his voice is at now.
Finally, I will say that I would much rather go and hear an original singer like Geddy that's still with a classic group like RUSH rather than hear these new singers that these old bands trot out so they can still continue to milk the fatted calf for all it's worth.

I used to love Journey...until Steve Perry departed...and watching them try to replace his unique voice was painful...I couldn't listen to them anymore...some bands can adapt to change and re-invent themselves...like the Doobie Brothers...but not many can pull it off...as long as you still get enjoyment from the lineup...that's really all that matters as a music lover..

I used to love Journey...until Steve Perry departed...and watching them try to replace his unique voice was painful...I couldn't listen to them anymore...some bands can adapt to change and re-invent themselves...like the Doobie Brothers...but not many can pull it off...as long as you still get enjoyment from the lineup...that's really all that matters as a music lover..

Not to get too far OT (cause let's face it, we're good at doing that around here) but you have pointed out the obvious difference. Reinvention as opposed to just imitation. It's a difference between older guys in a group like Yes or Journey getting new singers that sound very similar to Jon Anderson or Steve Perry to go out and try to recreate the magic that can never be recreated without that special core group of guys (singer included), whereas when singers left bands like the Doobie Brothers or Genesis, they had equally creative yet totally different vocalists to put a new spin on the group to keep them alive and relevant.

The difference between RUSH and the majority of groups out there is that they have done what they have done for over 40 years without a single change in the lineup, so when fans hear them play live, they know they are getting the genuine article! :)

Some more info on this release!

First, there is now a preorder up for a stand-alone Blu-Ray edition of the show here: http://www.amazon.com/R40-LIVE-Blu-ray-RUSH/dp/B0164CMT8I/

Next, here is the track listing for the 3 CDs:

Disc: 1
1. The World is .. The World is … (Intro Film)
2. The Anarchist
3. Headlong Flight
4. Far Cry
5. The Main Monkey Business
6. How It Is
7. Animate
8. Roll the Bones
9. Between the Wheels
10. Losing It (with Ben Mink)
11. Subdivisions

Disc: 2
1. Tom Sawyer
2. YYZ
3. The Spirit of Radio
4. Natural Science
5. Jacob's Ladder
6. Hemispheres: Prelude
7. Cygnus X-1/The Story So Far (drum solo)
8. Closer to the Heart
9. Xanadu
10. 2112

Disc: 3
1. Mel's Rockpile (with Eugene Levy) [Encore Film]
2. Lakeside Park/Anthem
3. What You're Doing/Working Man
4. One Little Victory [Bonus Track]
5. Distant Early Warning [Bonus Track]
6. Red Barchetta [Bonus Track]
7. Clockwork Angels [Bonus Track]
8. The Wreckers [Bonus Track]
9. The Camera Eye [Bonus Track]
10. Losing It (with Jonathan Dinklage) [Bonus Track]

And finally, here's the track listing for the Blu-Ray:
Disc: 4
1. The World is .. The World is … (Intro Film)
2. The Anarchist
3. Headlong Flight
4. Far Cry
5. The Main Monkey Business
6. How It Is
7. Animate
8. Roll the Bones
9. Between the Wheels
10. Losing It (with Ben Mink)
11. Subdivisions
12. No Country for Old Hens (Intermission Film)
13. Tom Sawyer
14. YYZ
15. The Spirit of Radio
16. Natural Science
17. Jacob's Ladder
18. Hemispheres: Prelude
19. Cygnus X-1/The Story So Far (drum solo)
20. Closer to the Heart
21. Xanadu
22. 2112
23. Mel's Rockpile (with Eugene Levy) [Encore Film]
24. Lakeside Park/Anthem
25. What You're Doing/Working Man
26. Exit Stage Left [Exit Film]
27. One Little Victory (Bonus Track)
28. Distant Early Warning (Bonus Track)
29. Red Barchetta (Bonus Track)

Back