RUSH R40 Review (*SPOILER ALERT*)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND here's the cover:
RUR4BLU40T000_000.jpg

Thanks Ryan, see that they have all the different choices for the R40 now as well and have done preorder for the bluray only version from amazon.ca as I should save some money over the 3 cd/bluray. The cd's won't be worth it for me as if the lossless on bluray proves to be well done, thats where my listening time will go towards the bluray.

peter

"XAN-A-DU"!!!
That footage with the double-necks looks and sounds so amazing.
I sincerely hope that clip alone will bring some more people on board with this release. :)

Yeah...Alex is playing the same double neck SG, but Geddy is playing a different colour double necked Ricky...maybe the old black one passed away...I still remember seeing them in 82 playing Xanadu...awesome!!!

[video=youtube;dzcA8_EkYQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcA8_EkYQ0[/video]

This is absolutely incredible! RUSH have just posted the full video of "Jacob's Ladder" from their upcoming R40 Live release.
This song hasn't been played live since the "Permanent Waves" album was released 35 years ago, and yet after all this time, they still have managed to make it sound fresh and exciting!
If anyone is still on the fence about this release, watch this video, and your mind might be swayed! :)

[video]http://vevo.ly/7dl3IB[/video]

This is absolutely incredible! RUSH have just posted the full video of "Jacob's Ladder" from their upcoming R40 Live release.
This song hasn't been played live since the "Permanent Waves" album was released 35 years ago, and yet after all this time, they still have managed to make it sound fresh and exciting!
If anyone is still on the fence about this release, watch this video, and your mind might be swayed! :)

This was my favorite moment from the show... simply incredible. Methinks I wiped a tear from my eye.

I found it on YouTube, so I edited my original post to make it easier for members to watch the video right here on the site.
The mix is stellar! Dave Bottrill knows his stuff, that's for sure! :)

[video=youtube;dzcA8_EkYQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcA8_EkYQ0[/video]

That is just stunning....love it. I'm sold.....

Here's the newest live video from R40. This time it's "Closer to the Heart"! :)
[video=youtube;dCVJDviOuUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCVJDviOuUo[/video]

(I very much enjoyed the fun that Alex and Neil seemed to be having later on in the video.)

Sorry to be Mr Grumpy..but MAN... it PAINS me to hear Geddy's voice!!!!!
If he had spent some money on a voice coach early on I don't think it'd be as bad as it is now...Opera singers voices degrade with age but not nearly as bad as G!!!

And the R40 preview clips keep a rollin' on. Here's "The Spirit of Radio". Enjoy! :)
[video=youtube;1jxfDuiDtzU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jxfDuiDtzU[/video]

Man...

Neil sounds better than I've ever heard him play before! Really at the top of his game. Just deadly on point!

And... Geddy can't sing at all anymore. Wow, that just sounds so painfully awkward. Glad I stayed away now. Don't think I would have even lasted to the half way point of a show.

I'd like to hear these guys just go off in a new direction and abandon the vocals altogether. And yes, that means instrumental versions of any old songs they might pull out! Neil is just on fire and they all are at the top of their game instrumentally.

I admit that I had stopped posting R40 preview videos mostly cause I was sick and tired of people complaining about the way Geddy's voice sounds nowadays, but then this came along, and it was just too good not to share:
[video=youtube;PlmvdK3yzvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlmvdK3yzvs[/video]

That's right, "XANADU" performed live with both Alex and Geddy on double-necks. This, along with "Jacob's Ladder", was the ultimate highlight of the R40 show for me, so kick back and enjoy! :)

(PS There's also preview clips of "Tom Sawyer" and "Subdivisions" that were recently posted on RUSH's YouTube page as well)

I'm getting together with some buds to watch R40 this Saturday. Ged's voice is what it is.
I think he'd be well-advised to stop drinking wine, seek a vocal coach and relearn his bridges, stick to songs in an easier range, of which their are plenty in their catalog, and play every instrumental they've ever written, plus some new ones (I'd go to twice as many shows).
Still, this Saturday, the band and companionship will be enjoyed by some long-time Rush nuts. There are great moments of this shows, vocals notwithstanding. I can't wait to hear a professionally mixed Losing It. I hope great hope for Bottrill's work, given the samples and his past work. Soooo glad Rick C. didn't mix this...

I'm getting together with some buds to watch R40 this Saturday. Ged's voice is what it is.
I think he'd be well-advised to stop drinking wine, seek a vocal coach and relearn his bridges, stick to songs in an easier range, of which their are plenty in their catalog, and play every instrumental they've ever written, plus some new ones (I'd go to twice as many shows).
Still, this Saturday, the band and companionship will be enjoyed by some long-time Rush nuts. There are great moments of this shows, vocals notwithstanding. I can't wait to hear a professionally mixed Losing It. I hope great hope for Bottrill's work, given the samples and his past work. Soooo glad Rick C. didn't mix this...
What? Take away the man's wine? Now that's just terrible. lol
Let him have his wine...he deserves it. I had canceled my pre-order just because of the large volume of money I was spending. Now that we're close to release....eh...I think I really want to get this. :)

What? Take away the man's wine? Now that's just terrible. lol
Let him have his wine...he deserves it. I had canceled my pre-order just because of the large volume of money I was spending. Now that we're close to release....eh...I think I really want to get this. :)

Agreed. I always think that I sing better after a bottle of wine! Amazon UK has now pushed back the release date for this to 4 December :(

Back