SACD multichannel to coaxial/optical digital???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lttlestrummerboy

I just received my new Logitech z-680 PC Speakers (IMHO theyr'e the 2nd best speaker package available for the PC, better than some home theaters twice their price) this week and was blown away by the quality of DVD-Audio. I have them connected to an Audigy2 ZS soundcard, which gives me the ability of 96kHz/24-bit DVD-Audio. But, this is not enough.
I absolutely adore Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, but it is only in SACD format. I would be willing to pay for a SACD player (since SACD will be unplayable on a computer until Intel introduces the Azalia format to replace AC'97), but they only output to multi-channel analog. And, my speakers only accept coaxial/optical digital inputs, and the 3 1/8" analog plugs (fronts, rears, sub/center). Is there absolutely anyway to ultimately connect multi-channel to an optical or coaxial digital input, or could I Y-connect the fronts, rears, and sub/center to 3 1/8" stereo plugs? Or do I have to wait for the Azalia audio format to be released later this year?

Last edited:
Both SACD and DVD-Audio keep you from using the digital coax or optical connections for copy protection reasons. I would think that someone would make connectors to convert the analog cables to the size you need.

KW

I'm going to wade in here based on what I believe you are referring to. I connected a 4 channel matrix cassette player in my old car. It is a 6 volt car, so I had to use a separate 12 volt battery in the trunk to run the cassette player. Since I'm trying to conserve power, I use Koss walkman speakers that have battery powered amplifiers in them to run the speakers. I soldered the front left and right speaker wires into the walkman style speaker jack which is 2 channel, both ground wires get soldered together. I did the same for the rear. No y connectors necessary since the jack is a 2 channel jack. It works great, the sound is quite good. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help. Amazingly enough, I found it on Creative's website. To connect a soundcard to a home theater (or in my case, SACD player multi-channel output to PC speakers) just purchase 3 of the 2 RCA plugs to 1/8" phono plug adapters. Connect Whites to Left/Center channels and Reds to Right/Sub channels. That's all there is to it. This will do just fine until I decide to spend $$$ on a better home theater. Hopefully this will help someone else out later.

Back